Does Anyone Know Much About This Type Of Bike..era? Make?

Postby radman on Thu 27/May/10 12:31am

Found this on trademe, think it could be a cool little project.

Any ideas of age or make or whatever??

Would it be hard fitting a more modern brake set up for a bit of added safety? discretly of course....

Or should i not go near it with a 10 foot pole?

radman
Member for: 7 years 4 months

Re: Does Anyone Know Much About This Type Of Bike..era? Make?

Postby fatwombat on Thu 27/May/10 2:45am

Age make etc: This is a very old very rusty bike. With reference to your other post, it's a single speed. You'll find it is made of ordinary steel which is extremely heavy. The rims are chromed steel which means they also are very heavy and they have excellent low-friction characteristics, expecially when wet, so annoying hindrances like brake-pads don't grip them and rob you of the speed you've worked so hard to build up.

It is definitely a project. If you want to improve the braking, use your above-mentioned 10-foot pole and stick it between the front forks and the rim of the front wheel. Be careful not to stick the pole through the spokes though or you will stop too quickly. When you're not braking, you can use the pole to clear pedestrians out of your path or to wreak your revenge on motorists who cut you off.

When you're not riding on the roads with it, you could mount it on a stand in your lounge room, with the dynamo connected to your house switchboard. By pedalling furiously for 3-4 hours you will probably generate enough electricity to type in a couple more posts on Vorb. :p
fatwombat
"Our planet is the mental institution of the universe. - Goethe"
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby Oli on Thu 27/May/10 9:29am

It looks like an old Raleigh Sport to me. As to Fatwombat's points about the braking, he has missed that it's a coaster brake hub and there isn't a rim brake to be seen.

I think you could get this bike working okay, but it will be rough as and whether it's possible or worth the time, work and money to fully restore I doubt.
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby nzmatto on Thu 27/May/10 9:57am

She'll be sweet....just replace the wheels, seat, handlebars, cranks, brakes, chainring & add another, pop a cluster on the rear, maybe some new pedals, and perhaps upgrade the frame. Yup, it's a project but doable. :p
nzmatto
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby Lynskey on Thu 27/May/10 11:05am

When you're tinkering with old bikes it's often a fine line between 'project' and 'problem'.

That bike is quite firmly in one camp.
Lynskey
"Ah yes the tossers certainly come out late at night.."
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby radman on Thu 27/May/10 4:30pm

haha sweet garden ornament it is then! might give it to mum.
radman

Postby Toko on Thu 27/May/10 6:19pm

Yeah, I agree, probably a Raleigh sport, which I think is the budget, stripped down model from Raleigh's range at the time.

check the tyres and the coaster brake. Tyres are still available, but a new set plus tubes will be about $80 I think. The old ones will probably be perished.

the coaster brake can be tuned a little, but repair parts aren't available, so if it's really bad forget it.

other than that, rip that dumb front light off, turn the handlebars 180 degrees for that racy look, and go for a cruise. They're great bikes on rainy days because the mudguards let you smash though big puddles without getting wet
Toko
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby neels on Thu 27/May/10 9:13pm

I used to ride one not dissimilar to that to school when I were a lad, probably a bit newer as it didn't have the leather saddle, but had the rear only coaster brake. Pretty flash with 2 dynamos on it though. My dad was still riding it around the freezing works until he retired a couple of years ago :lol:
neels
"I've got opinions, that don't make any sense"
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby Simonius_Titius on Sat 29/May/10 9:09am

If you restore this bike you will gain wisdom which will give you benefit all your life, not just the obvious bit that you will know not to do it again.

You will also gain a bike upon which you can hurtle. Modern bikes can zoom, fly, whizz etc. Hurtling however requires a bicycle of substance, and this is such a bike.

If you do have a go:
Wheels can be replaced. Start by checking the potential show stoppers - are the steering and crank bearings are stuffed and rusted solid in place, or an unobtainable size?

Rear hub gears and brakes are great, they last for ages with no maintenance except greasing, and they work in the rain. They can be disassembled for cleaning.

Old tyres often work better than they look - crumbly gum sidewalls don't matter.

FIND ADVISORS: There is stuff you can not work out for yourself, like which way to unscrew a right-side crank bearing cup or a left-hand pedal.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com is the first place to look for tech stuff.
http://www.parktool.com/ has good photo sequence instructions for many operations.
Sutherland's mechanic's manual is the bible, much of an older version is available free online, or get the lot through a file share site.
Preferably find someone wrinkly enough to know these bikes, e.g. Keith Guthrie at Cycle Trading in Chch.
http://bishopscycles.blogspot.com/ Chch path racer folk, they know bikes your age.

OIL YOUR NIPPLES: Put a drop of penetrating oil ($5 from the supermarket) on each of your nipples - this is an important ritual. Now approach the bike and put a drop on each of your spoke nipples. Oil everything - the crank cotter pins, every joint and thread. Now drop that spanner and step away from the bike. Leave it overnight while you dream hard about lubrication.

If you had a seventies bike, in the morning some spokes would still likely be rusted solid and liable to break if you try to adjust them.
In your case EVERYTHING is still rusted solid and Mum is giving you grief about oil on the carpet.

Or maybe the owner stripped his bike every few years and greased every thread, it made sense given the value of a bike back then.

You can buy old 27" wheels very cheaply if you don't mind the rims being narrower and lighter than the originals. Stainless potscrubber for the rust.
Measure your fork spacing - you might have 110mm on the rear. A 5-speed wheel is 120mm wide, a 6/7 speed is 126mm.

GREASE YOUR BALLS Another important ritual, mechanics normally do it one handed while brushing their teeth in the morning.
Even if crank and steering head bearings are pitted badly new balls and grease will make them a lot happier if you can not replace them.

CRANKS There is an art to removing a crank cotter pin without rooting it or the bearing. I don't know it, but it might be like a square taper: oil, remove the bolt (nut), oil, bounce on the pedal from alternating sides until it loosens. Before tapping with a hammer, support the axle on something very solid so you are not bashing the bearings. The trick is to not damage ther thread of the cotter pin.
The left crank bearing always has a normal thread and is the adjustable one, so that is the one to undo.
Leave the right-side cup in place unless you are replacing it. Old French & Italian bikes use a right hand thread on the right cup, but the ubiquitous English thread is reversed on that side.

FRONT BRAKE: Check whether there is a mounting hole for it in the fork crown. Measure the vertical reach from the hole to the rim, and the width of the rim. Both are bigger than what modern brakes can handle, but old brakes which will fit are often sold on TM for stuff all. Age-appropriate steel brakes don't come up often, but are very cheap. If you have to drill a hole, drill it very undersized then use a string to see if it is straight. it needs to run parallel to the rim.

TOOLS For seriously rusted nuts an adjustable spanner is going to slip & mush the head so you may need to borrow some proper Imperial tools.
Some jobs are best left to a bike shop. It's not just the tools and knowledge, it is the feel for steel that they get after stripping dozens of threads and breaking a big handful of spokes. And if you are going to pick their brains, they need to make some money somewhere...
Last edited by Simonius_Titius on Sat 20/Nov/10 11:06pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Postby ratrod on Sat 29/May/10 10:34am

Toko wrote:Tyres are still available, but a new set plus tubes will be about $80 I think.

I've got a late 60's raleigh sport and the tyres and tubes were cheap as chips
ratrod
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby radman on Sat 29/May/10 5:34pm

thanks for the info Simonius_Titius , it will definatly come in handy!

If i win the auction and decide to go ahead ill start a project thread to keep you all updated....
radman

Postby radman on Sun 30/May/10 9:51pm

someone exceeded my autobid on TM so im somewhat releaved but disapointed.....ill keep an eye out for somthing else, probaly not as old, or not needing as much work....

Any suggestions or ideas on what i should look out for?
radman

Postby radman on Mon 31/May/10 9:17pm

the bidding on thjis is going crazy!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =292502359

same seller as the above bike which went for 26$, this one is up over $90!!

Im suprised, dont know if any of you are
radman

Postby musta on Tue 1/Jun/10 12:35am

They are old classics, do them up right and they will be worth their weight in gold in a few years.
Just look at 70's tour de france bikes, old campagnolo parts for example.
musta
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby radman on Tue 1/Jun/10 9:59pm

yeah i guess you have a point, i think in hindsight tho its a good thing i didnt win the auction, i think it may have been a bit ambitious (bad spelling) as a first time project.....
radman

Cycling | Retro Bicycles - Latest Posts