National Park Boundaries - Paparoa - Croesus

Postby Trail on Mon 24/May/10 1:58pm

Hi all,

I have been trying to find out exactly where the southern boundary of the Paparoa National Park is, and have been wondering if the part of the Croesus track that drops to Barrytown is in or out of the park. The info I have been able to find so far has said that the Croesus is south of the southern boundary of the park, but the Croesus Crossing running race was touted as being in Paparoa National park.

Anyone able to confirm if the western part of the Croesus track is in or out of the National Park?
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Re: National Park Boundaries - Paparoa - Croesus

Postby Trail on Mon 24/May/10 4:26pm

hmm from all the info I can find Croesus appears to be totally outside the National Park.
Trail

Postby swtchbckr on Mon 24/May/10 8:11pm

Trail wrote:Hi all,

I have been trying to find out exactly where the southern boundary of the Paparoa National Park is, and have been wondering if the part of the Croesus track that drops to Barrytown is in or out of the park. The info I have been able to find so far has said that the Croesus is south of the southern boundary of the park, but the Croesus Crossing running race was touted as being in Paparoa National park.

Anyone able to confirm if the western part of the Croesus track is in or out of the National Park?

i'll take a look at the estate layer at work tomorrow...
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby swtchbckr on Tue 25/May/10 10:07am

swtchbckr wrote:
Trail wrote:Hi all,

i'll take a look at the estate layer at work tomorrow...

yep, You're absolutely right. Croesus Track falls within the 'Paparoa Range South - Conservation Area' and the 'Roaring Meg Ecological Area'. Paparoa National Park only barely hits the top of the Moonlight Track, on the ridgeline about 500m or so of the ridge immediately to the west of the "Direction Sign on Tops (Moonlight End)" (above the derelict Meikles Hut)

HTH
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"

Postby Trail on Tue 25/May/10 10:11am

Thanks!
Trail

Postby swtchbckr on Tue 25/May/10 12:50pm

which, i guess, technically speaking, means that when riding from the croesus across the tops to the Moonlight, you're illegal for that 500m... :crazy: tho, who would bother to enforce that, i'm not so sure.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"

Postby RHR_Rob on Tue 25/May/10 1:10pm

500m is 500m if you do ride it dont publicise it otherwise you will be hung drawn and quatered by the cycle police.
RHR_Rob
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby swtchbckr on Tue 25/May/10 1:27pm

ah. but it follows the ridge line, so as long as you stay juuuust on the south side of the ridge, you'll be sweeeeeeet! :D
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"

Postby Trail on Tue 25/May/10 1:44pm

Does mean that riding Blackball to Barrytown via Croesus by bike is legal tho... which I had always thought it was, but something that was said after I had ridden it made me think that maybe it was not!

The track heading from Croesus across to Moonlight was looking pretty indistinct when I was up there last weekend...
Trail

Postby grahamt on Tue 25/May/10 1:49pm

So how was the descent to Barrytown?
grahamt
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby Trail on Tue 25/May/10 2:22pm

Steep and extra rooty with drops and holes and extra challenging technical goodness! The kind of place where if you let your brakes off to get over a technical section you end up doing warp speed into the next challenge :lol: I really enjoyed the trip across the top, and the absolute root fest of a downhill was extra good fun :thumbsup:

Sort of track where many people would walk down as much or more than they would ride tho...
Trail

Postby Colin on Tue 25/May/10 2:40pm

Something like this ?

(picture I stole from the intewebs yonks ago - think it was from down that way)
MMmmmm.jpg
Colin
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Postby Trail on Tue 25/May/10 2:55pm

Yeh, something like that, but that photo looks like one of the tamer sections!! Pretty sure that is Richard standing at the side and I think that is the track down to Barrytown (although I dont recognise which section).
Trail

Postby Sickman on Sun 4/Jul/10 5:17am

Hmmm, I wonder if anyone has tried the track from the pap's down to Brunner?
Sickman
Member for: 10 years 10 months

Postby Trail on Sun 4/Jul/10 10:42am

Sickman wrote:Hmmm, I wonder if anyone has tried the track from the pap's down to Brunner?

Which track is that Tim?
Trail

Middle South Island | New Zealand | Regions | West Coast - Latest Posts