40 Hr 'famine'

Postby pissface on Fri 21/May/10 8:42am

so, the 40 hour famine....

... apparently there's a version of it that doesn't involve food.

There's a technology version!? - kids have to go without anything like internet, listening to music, cellphones, etc for the weekend.
pissface
"Boneshaker"
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Re: 40 Hr 'famine'

Postby its that guy on Fri 21/May/10 8:45am

Fuck that...
its that guy
"Lurkin"
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby nzmatto on Fri 21/May/10 9:32am

There's a your fella in Kapiti who last year set about riding (mostly in a trainer) as far as he could in 40 hours. Topped 300km which isn't bad for a 14 year old - at least I think he was 14. This year he is going to see how far he can run on a treadmill in 40 hours. Fuck that! But.....I will pop in and say gidday at some stage. Will probably hand over some hard earned dosh too. I think world vision do a good job.
nzmatto
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby fatwombat on Fri 21/May/10 11:26am

When we were teenagers, to do the 40 hour famine meant exactly that - no food for 40 hours. And we did it just for the fun of helping a worthy organisation to raise money to help needy people. Now it's all wimped down - 40 hours of no TV or no mobile phone, and they do it to get prizes for raising certain amounts of money.

My oldest daughter is doing the 40 hours - in an SPCA cage 1200x750x750mm, with a friend, no food and no phone. She is on the World Vision committee at her school, she tells me the school can't actively support the 40 hour famine because they can't be seen to be involved with anything that discourages girls from eating "normally"!

If anyone wants to sponsor her, send me a PM. :)

Are you doing it Lewis?
fatwombat
"Our planet is the mental institution of the universe. - Goethe"
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby NZpushbiker on Fri 21/May/10 11:34am

its that guy wrote:Fuck that...

:withstupid:
NZpushbiker
"Life is short (think about it)"
Member for: 7 years 7 months

Postby the-right-to-evolve on Fri 21/May/10 4:04pm

nzmatto wrote:There's a your fella in Kapiti who last year set about riding (mostly in a trainer) as far as he could in 40 hours. Topped 300km which isn't bad for a 14 year old - at least I think he was 14. This year he is going to see how far he can run on a treadmill in 40 hours. Fuck that! But.....I will pop in and say gidday at some stage. Will probably hand over some hard earned dosh too. I think world vision do a good job.

hes at my college his names charles he alos cycled up mangotuk (???) hill 20 times to raise money for charity...all i did this year was go on a 40k ride with other peolple from my school. still i raised $40 :)
the-right-to-evolve
"Language is the liquid that we're all dissolved in, great for solving problems after it creates them."
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Postby wuffy on Fri 21/May/10 4:06pm

NZpushbiker wrote:
its that guy wrote:Fuck that...

wuffy
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Fri 21/May/10 5:11pm

Are there health concerns with kids not eating (apart from Barley sugars and juice) for 40 hours? :eh:

No cellphone or TV?! = I live the 40 hour famine everyday of the year! :thumbsup:
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby j2hyde on Fri 21/May/10 5:25pm

pissface wrote:so, the 40 hour famine....

There's a technology version!? - kids have to go without anything like internet, listening to music, cellphones, etc for the weekend.

Thats almost as awesome as earth hour.

If pathetic tokensim can "stop" the climate from changing then I'm sure it can bring food to africa. Why not?
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby its that guy on Fri 21/May/10 5:38pm

fatwombat wrote:When we were teenagers, to do the 40 hour famine meant exactly that - no food for 40 hours. And we did it just for the fun of helping a worthy organisation to raise money to help needy people. Now it's all wimped down - 40 hours of no TV or no mobile phone, and they do it to get prizes for raising certain amounts of money.

My oldest daughter is doing the 40 hours - in an SPCA cage 1200x750x750mm, with a friend, no food and no phone. She is on the World Vision committee at her school, she tells me the school can't actively support the 40 hour famine because they can't be seen to be involved with anything that discourages girls from eating "normally"!

If anyone wants to sponsor her, send me a PM. :)

Are you doing it Lewis?

Good luck from me :thumbsup:

I love my useless shit to much and i cant not eat for more than about 5 hours. :blink: ...I would if i could.
its that guy
"Lurkin"

Postby its that guy on Fri 21/May/10 5:39pm

They need a 3 hour famine :thumbsup:
its that guy
"Lurkin"

Postby the-right-to-evolve on Fri 21/May/10 6:22pm

FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:Are there health concerns with kids not eating (apart from Barley sugars and juice) for 40 hours? :eh:

No cellphone or TV?! = I live the 40 hour famine everyday of the year! :thumbsup:

no its whats known as covering your ass, like "kills %99.9 of bacteria!" and not being allowed to smoke in public places, its not public health the goverment or "the man" in general is worried about. its the onslaught of parents blaming teachers and schools if their kids should become sick. just like fast food restraunts are blamed for obesity, they arent forcing you to it it you fat fuck go exercise....

rant over. ;)
the-right-to-evolve
"Language is the liquid that we're all dissolved in, great for solving problems after it creates them."
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Postby shmoodiver on Fri 21/May/10 7:12pm

the spawn of shmoo is doing 40hrs with no technology, tis her birthday tomollo too.... i got her a flash new cell phone! can't wait till she realises she can't use it for a day and a bit :D
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby bubbaa on Sat 22/May/10 4:58pm

j2hyde wrote:
pissface wrote:so, the 40 hour famine....

Thats almost as awesome as earth hour.

If pathetic tokensim can "stop" the climate from changing then I'm sure it can bring food to africa. Why not?

i think there is a subtle difference. Earth hour people seem to believe that turning lights off for an hour makes a real difference to climate change and that, as you say, pathetic tokenism somehow represents real education. A forty hour famine tries to raise money to donate to buy actual food, as well as educate. I reckon not actually eating for 40 hours (why 40? some sort of biblical thing) is far more likely to actually raise awareness than turning off lights for an hour, but even if not true awareness, the money raised has to be useful.
technology famine?. pllleeease!! :lol:
bubbaa
"bite me"
Member for: 7 years 7 months

Postby Spokes on Sat 22/May/10 6:26pm

shmoodiver wrote:the spawn of shmoo is doing 40hrs with no technology, tis her birthday tomollo too.... i got her a flash new cell phone! can't wait till she realises she can't use it for a day and a bit :D

Thats cruel. But funny. :lol:
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Food | Sifting - Latest Posts