Pros Cheating With Motors?

Postby Oli on Thu 20/May/10 8:43am

:o

"We've discovered that it could save a rider between 60 and 100 watts, which is an enormous advantage in the finale of a race. Checks are under way, others are planned. Our technicians are working on a special scanner that will discover the hidden motors inside the frames. All the bikes at the major races will soon be checked."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-denies-reports-of-motorised-doping
Oli
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Re: Pros Cheating With Motors?

Postby dented on Thu 20/May/10 8:48am

Is it April the 1st in UCI world?
dented
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby ThingOne on Thu 20/May/10 8:50am

I have ofton wondered how hard would it be to hide a smallish 50w motor in a crank set, an additional 50w would be a huge advantage.

My first trials with the 2 stroke weedeater motor where much too obvious.

Thought this was funny.

"Modifications of this or other such devices could presumably limit the external signs of the motor, as a saddle bag would be perceived as unusual in pro racing."

As in Wow, whats up with all the saddlebags with wires coming out of them this year?
ThingOne
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby nzmatto on Thu 20/May/10 8:55am

So what you're telling me is that it's not really a power meter in the back hub, but a key wind-up spring.
nzmatto
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Al_Bushman
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby BianchiBoy on Thu 20/May/10 9:37am

Hmmmm, let's see now. According to the article 100w motor running for four hours. That requires a 400 Whr battery assuming 100% efficiency. Any idea how big a 400 Whr battery is? :eh: It's going to be rather obvious no matter what battery technology is used.
BianchiBoy
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby mr splodge on Thu 20/May/10 9:46am

about 1/4 the size of an average car battery for lead acid, posssibly a bit smaller (and a lot more expensive) for Li-Ion
mr splodge
Member for: 8 years 6 months

Postby Tugboat on Thu 20/May/10 10:02am

Most retarded conspiracy theory ever... But where do I buy one? :paranoid:
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby Rik on Thu 20/May/10 10:44am

And they have to invent a scanner to detect it. Hmm which bike has the hidden motor this 7kg one or this 17kg one :exclaim:
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby brutalfreeride on Thu 20/May/10 11:44am

If you had a 100w motor and you were pedalling at 200w would that not cancel it out?... or do I have no idea what I'm on about. :exclaim:
brutalfreeride
"www.kenfeistcx.com"
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby Spyder on Thu 20/May/10 11:45am

brutalfreeride wrote:If you had a 100w motor and you were pedalling at 200w would that not cancel it out?... or do I have no idea what I'm on about. :exclaim:

Only if you installed the motor backwards....
Spyder
"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves a ton of explanation."
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby Bigfoot on Thu 20/May/10 11:51am

brutalfreeride wrote:If you had a 100w motor and you were pedalling at 200w would that not cancel it out?... or do I have no idea what I'm on about. :exclaim:

Addition ≠ Subtraction
Bigfoot
"We are the Village Green Preservation Society"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby brutalfreeride on Thu 20/May/10 11:55am

Spyder wrote:

Only if you installed the motor backwards....

:exclaim: aaaahhhhhhhh I see!... no I don't. That will teach me for thinking mid week! :exclaim:
brutalfreeride
"www.kenfeistcx.com"
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby fatwombat on Thu 20/May/10 12:18pm

This is a pretty random story, but I was thinking earlier in the week about a more likely scenario: as the componentry companies are developing battery powered rear deraillieurs, does that constitute an illegal motor? Should it? Hydraulic controls are fair enough, they just transmit the rider's effort very efficiantly, but an electric rear mech is reducung the rider's workload.
fatwombat
"Our planet is the mental institution of the universe. - Goethe"
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby RussS on Thu 20/May/10 12:28pm

Rik wrote:And they have to invent a scanner to detect it. Hmm which bike has the hidden motor this 7kg one or this 17kg one :exclaim:

The weight difference would not be that bad if they hid the battery up the riders butt :crazy:
RussS
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Cycling | International Politics | Politics | Road Cycling | Road Racing | Sifting - Latest Posts