Climbing Shoes For Skinny Feet?

Postby mjc on Sun 16/May/10 9:33pm

Looking at getting some new climbing shoes but I havnt shopped around for a couple of years, and I struggle to find shoes that fit well.

Anyone know what are a good basic shoe that suit long skinny feet? Ideally a model that is stocked in Chch...
mjc
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Re: Climbing Shoes For Skinny Feet?

Postby j2hyde on Sun 16/May/10 9:41pm

5.10 shoes suit skinny feet. Depending on foot shape you might also suit La Sportiva. Both make excellent shoes and I'm sure somebody in chch will have them.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby danose on Mon 17/May/10 7:06am

j2hyde wrote:5.10 shoes suit skinny feet. Depending on foot shape you might also suit La Sportiva. Both make excellent shoes and I'm sure somebody in chch will have them.

actually 5.10 is a bit hard to find now - Mainland used to carry them, but since they turned into R&R the range is really limited, and seemed to be largely LS oriented. Shame cos the old 5.10 mojave was a great beginner/trad/all-day shoe

personally I'd say 5.10 runs wider than LS too (the cobra is heaps narrower than a moccasym)

but basically wander around the shops (Bivouac , Mountain Designs, High County and R&R) and just try the brands on - just a matter of seeing what fits your needs and your feet (I too have narrow feet and have never had issues finding shoes that fit - worn LS, 5.10 and Boreal over the years)
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby AdamMTB on Mon 17/May/10 7:37am

Mavelox are the guys who bring in the La Sportiva gear and most outdoor rec. shops use them so if you can't buy it direct from them most shops should be able to get them in for you.

http://www.marvelox.com/lasportiva_climbing.php

I'm no climber, but being a euro company they're bound to suit skinny feat.
AdamMTB
Member for: 7 years 6 months

Postby danose on Mon 17/May/10 1:54pm

AdamMTB wrote:Mavelox are the guys who bring in the La Sportiva gear and most outdoor rec. shops use them so if you can't buy it direct from them most shops should be able to get them in for you.

http://www.marvelox.com/lasportiva_climbing.php

I'm no climber, but being a euro company they're bound to suit skinny feat.

trouble is that as you can see on the marvelox web page, the range brought into NZ has been drastically shrunk, and is purely 'performance' models now (cos not many people want to pay LS prices for a beginner shoe). So whilst that's great for people like me (I'm on my 5th pair of cobras, and have used miuras and katanas), but for the OP looking for a 'classic/beginner' shoe not much help (closest is the mythos - but it's quite soft - really he'd want something like the Cliff).

I'd probably go to bivouac and have a look at the two 'beginner' red chilli options

http://www.bivouac.co.nz/brands/red-chili.html
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Climbing | Indoor Climbing | Rock Climbing - Latest Posts