Re: Mt Victoria 'downhill' Tracks

Postby Hardy3 on Thu 3/Jun/10 3:25pm

Big thanks to Jono for having a slip n slide down the track with me to brainstorm some possible ideas. General things like existing log replacement...as they're rotting away (such as the top drop and a little bit of the berming/track support. For the most part the track is sweet, and we all want it left like that...but drainage and "de-ghettoing" will make it an awesome little track. Don't forget to pop along on Saturday morning, even if you just want to put in your 2c.
Hardy3
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby Hardy3 on Thu 1/Jul/10 3:42pm

Semi Dredge.

Have had a couple of successful weekends up there. First target to clear up the exits went well, had quite a few positive comments from walkers for what we were doing. Have done a bit of planning and a tiny bit of rebuilding on the track, still plenty of potential.

We will be up there from 1pm this Saturday if anyone is keen to come along and help out/add input then feel free to come along! Or just stop for a yarn on your way down...looks like it hasn't been ridden much when its wet.

Sweet! ;)
Hardy3

Postby Jimi on Sat 3/Jul/10 11:30am

Great day for Trail Building. We will be heading up soon.
Jimi
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby Jimi on Sun 8/Aug/10 8:39pm

Here are a couple vids riding the new jump on the Grom track. We will rework the lip of the jump as the dirt packs down.
Jimi

Postby Jimi on Sun 8/Aug/10 8:45pm

Also… The ranger has been through with the chainsaw and cleared the old line for Damians so we will be working on that over the next few weekends.
Image0005.jpg
Chainsaw Action
Jimi

Postby Jono on Sun 8/Aug/10 8:57pm

Excellent news! That old line with the drop to flat at the end was one of the better dodgy exits on mt vic :thumbsup:
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"
Member for: 18 years 3 months

Postby slimdog on Sun 8/Aug/10 9:40pm

So the trail in the vid is called the grom track?

I was there a week ago or so and it looked like some one had been in there recently with a chain saw. Still needs lots of love.

Could you guys post on here when you are working on track? That way some of us could show up and help if you want.
slimdog
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby Jimi on Sun 8/Aug/10 10:02pm

slimdog wrote:So the trail in the vid is called the grom track?

I was there a week ago or so and it looked like some one had been in there recently with a chain saw. Still needs lots of love.

Could you guys post on here when you are working on track? That way some of us could show up and help if you want.

Vids are from the grom track. Right at the bottom.

Happy to have a few more people come up and help. We only have limited tools but if people commit to showing up we can organize some more from the council.
Jimi

Postby speeding_ant on Sun 19/Sep/10 3:31pm

Old line to Damians almost open. Need a couple more guys next time we build to finish off an alternative line into it (entry into cut out tree is too slippery, broke my brake lever when I crashed too...). Also need to bench the first berm and then it's all set from there.

Just to drum up excitement, here's a vid of the old drop to flat. Vorb decided to rotate it sideways, turn your heads ;)
Last edited by speeding_ant on Sun 19/Sep/10 3:50pm, edited 1 time in total.
speeding_ant
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby mudlover/hater on Sun 19/Sep/10 3:48pm

I've never had a good handle on great tracks on Mt Vic and would help out one saturday so I can feel good about contributing to a sweet, super-close-to-home trail network AND maybe find some of the gems I keep hearing about but can never find....

Are the workparties every saturday? Chur :paranoid:
mudlover/hater
"Hoh. Hoh. Hoh. Now I haf.. a machine gun."
Member for: 9 years 10 months

Postby speeding_ant on Sun 19/Sep/10 3:49pm

Sure thing - PM me and we'll text ya when we're going up next. It'll be next weekend, depending on weather.
:thumbsup:
speeding_ant

Postby Hardy3 on Mon 20/Sep/10 9:55am

Will be great to get extra hands on deck! I've been organising with the Ranger to provide us with a bunch of tools dedicated for our use, trouble is there's a lot going on around the place so their supply is limited. And he is happy to continue to trim/cut down any trees we need :thumbsup:

Within the next month I plan to be up there regularly (after work also)...would be great to start up a weekly Saturday dig!
Hardy3

Postby speeding_ant on Mon 27/Sep/10 9:58pm

Two trees down. One on Damians, one on Grom. Typical. Both need chainsaw. We will try and get council to sort this out.
speeding_ant

Postby Hardy3 on Mon 27/Sep/10 10:34pm

Have tried emailing the ranger but will give him a call tomorrow...other then that these trails are riding sweet!
Hardy3

Postby slimdog on Tue 28/Sep/10 12:19am

Trails up there were great today nice and dry for a change.

I am still waiting for the call out to help you guys someday.

Could do evening maintenance now that the time has changed.
slimdog
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Conditions | Cycling | Downhill Racing | Lower North Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Public Notices | Regions | Trail Building | Trail Conditions | Wellington | Wellington Region - Latest Posts