What Tyre ?

Postby Brokendown on Fri 7/May/10 8:25pm

Just wondering if any one has any advice on what tyre to ride locally. I ride a full sus all mountain bike not really worried about weight, grip is the priority.

Cheers
Brokendown
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Re: What Tyre ?

Postby cruiser on Sat 8/May/10 12:05am

schwalbe big betty or nobby nic are very grippy beasts for front, nobby nic ok for back, big betty more than need for the rear though. They're soft compound, not the cheapest tyres so if you're on a budget or a skidder don't put a schwalbe on the rear.

otherwise have a search through other threads here, bound to be heaps.
cruiser
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby Trail on Sat 8/May/10 9:04am

Pretty sure he is looking for a tyre that is specifically good for wet West Coast type riding.

Big Betty''s and Nobby Nics are probably quite good for this, especially in the softer compounds. Something with big knobs for trucking through mud is a good thing. Small knobs = good grip in dry hardpack but are crap in mud.

I am currenty running Rubber Queens which have good grip for a trail tyre (they are probably called Trail Kings or something now). The tyre volume is big, but the knobs are only med size so not really great in mud. The black chilli compound is good on wet rocks/roots etc

Maxxis tyres. Minions are probably a good option. Big knobs. If trail riding make sure you only get the single ply tyre or you will be very slow rolling. Advantage might be a good option too.

I used to run Specialized Eskars. Reasonable knobs, good volume and quite light for size of tyre. I was going through the sidewalls by ripping them out on rocks tho... Rubber compound was harder wearing, which meant it was a bit skaty in the wet.
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby its that guy on Sat 8/May/10 9:57am

Trail wrote:Rubber Queens

:lol: Get this one :thumbsup:
its that guy
"Lurkin"
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby Percy Pig on Sat 8/May/10 2:02pm

Where is "locally", cos a tyre that works well in Alexandra probably wont be the same as a tyre that works well in Rotorua. :)

On is a sharp rocky almost desert :thumbsup: , the other is a loamy forest! :cool:
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 17 years 5 months

Postby Trail on Sat 8/May/10 5:42pm

Percy Pig wrote:Where is "locally", cos a tyre that works well in Alexandra probably wont be the same as a tyre that works well in Rotorua. :)

On is a sharp rocky almost desert :thumbsup: , the other is a loamy forest! :cool:

As it is posted in the "West Coast" channel I think that is where he is going to be riding :sneaky:
Trail

Postby Percy Pig on Sat 8/May/10 10:44pm

Trail wrote:
Percy Pig wrote:Where is "locally", cos a tyre that works well in Alexandra probably wont be the same as a tyre that works well in Rotorua. :)

As it is posted in the "West Coast" channel I think that is where he is going to be riding :sneaky:

Yeah, there's still a great deal of different terrain types over there, as Im sure you know! :D

But I had missed that, to be sure to be sure........... :blush:
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"

Postby Brokendown on Sun 9/May/10 2:35pm

[quote="Percy Pig"]Where is "locally", cos a tyre that works well in Alexandra probably wont be the same as a tyre that works well in Rotorua. :)

Riding West Coast of the south island Im really looking for something that will grip in the mud and hold on to a wet root or rock.
Brokendown

Postby bubbaa on Sun 9/May/10 2:44pm

I reckon the rubber queen sounds good for those wet roots :lol:
bubbaa
"bite me"
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Postby Percy Pig on Sun 9/May/10 4:12pm

Brokendown wrote:

Riding West Coast of the south island Im really looking for something that will grip in the mud and hold on to a wet root or rock.

Right, well I have Intense 909 DC's on my bike, and they work well in those conditions. :thumbsup:

Not that I have done much riding in the wet, as it is frowned upon in the CHCH, cos it ruins our tracks.
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"

Postby Trail on Sun 9/May/10 8:26pm

bubbaa wrote:I reckon the rubber queen sounds good for those wet roots :lol:

Would have thought the dirt path would have been the sort of thing a rubber queen was after??
Trail

Postby Brokendown on Tue 11/May/10 8:24am

Thanks for all your responses sounds like Rubber Queens might be the goodness.

Cheers
Brokendown

Middle South Island | New Zealand | Regions | West Coast - Latest Posts