:edit: Boobies!! (the Govt Scorecard)

Postby CrustyMTB on Thu 29/Apr/10 8:38pm

we're halfway through the term, I am doctrinally NOT a national supporter (and won't be while the likes of Jerry the Hutt, "Looks like he was left out in the rain" McCully and David "Dodgy" Carter are above ground and breathing) But I'd hoped that JK might provide the leadership to sort out 1) The tax system 2) The looming problems of an aging population, I was a bit interested at what might come out of the works. Instead we've got a policy clusterfuck.
- Rodney Hide's super-shitty is going to create a monster celebrity super mayor who will probably stage a putcsh and then invade Poland
- any (democratically elected) territorial authority which doesn't let dairy farmers irrigate and pollute at will, stands a chance of being stood down without proper process and the electorate will be punished due having the right to electoral process supended
- Simon Power is about to have his third crack and regulating the Financial Advice industry,
- Paula Bennet's welfare reforms will save precisely $0,
- the rewrite of the RMA will change almost nothing of real importance,
- the emmission trading scheme looked like it could provide some go forward, but will they? Won't they? Will they? Do they have any idea?
- he declaration on indigenous rights was signed in secret as a sop to the Maori Party and no-one bothered to talk to the people involved in international law to gauge the potential effects,
- the new for-sure and seabed act looks like it will devolve decision making powers for a very large chunk of crown resource to a disparate and ill defined collection of groups (what was the 'problem' with the RMA that apparently needed sorting out?)

I was NOT a fan of Jenny the Ship and Winston "greasy Fuck" Peters, but their regime at least seemed vaguely competent at generating coherent policy, but 'that nice manTM' John Key and Co don't actually have a clue, the focus seems to be the third way a'la Tony B liar and co, soundbite populism based on reactively engaging with push-button ideas while actively avoiding engagement with any difficult decisions. What Do Key and Co actually stand for apart from winning the next election???!?

... and Paula Bennet badly needs to be muzzled, her handlers clearly have no idea, and this woman is in charge of the largest budget in the Country...

Fuck me, Stephen Harper and Kevin Rudd seem like great alternatives, should I book a ticket? :edit: Your thoughts callers
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Re: The Govt Scorecard

Postby j2hyde on Thu 29/Apr/10 9:24pm

These threads always go to shit very quickly, so I'll get the ball rolling. To answer your questions:

-It's no big deal. Most big cities have one governing body and the current arrangement is inefficient/crap anyway.
- Ecan were a joke. Which probably wasn't their fault - all the district councils are tasked with implementing a shambolic mess of legislation forced on them by central government. Add that to the fact that the RMA is fundamentally flawed and it was inevitable. Expect more of this or other council amalgamations in the near future.
- dunno
- yeah, but thats not the point is it?
- Hopefully its baby steps to abolishing it. But you're probably right
- Implementing emissions trading without international support is pretty dumb and they know it. But the public doesn't. So they're fucked either way.
- dunno, dont care
- Granted, this is pretty wierd. Something else must be going on in the background.

Most gubbiments wait till the second term before they actually do anything - they need to consolidate their support. And the budget isnt in any shape to fund anything interesting. Note that a lot of taxes seem to be going up and the economy is not doing well.
KRudd is a bit of a tool, but like Key he's marginally better than the alternative. Like Key he's got no factional support so he lives and dies by the polls. They say you get the gubbiment you deserve. And we have.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Re: :edit: Boobies!! (the Govt Scorecard)

Postby wuffy on Thu 29/Apr/10 9:27pm

The first 3 quarters of their term are going to be spent re-arranging the pile of crap labour left for them ;)

While on politics... what are peoples opinions for the up-and-coming referendum on election methods?
wuffy
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby its that guy on Thu 29/Apr/10 9:54pm

First past the post can suck my ball sack long time.
its that guy
"Lurkin"
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby CrustyMTB on Thu 29/Apr/10 9:56pm

wuffy wrote:The first 3 quarters of their term are going to be spent re-arranging the pile of crap labour left for them ;)

While on politics... what are peoples opinions for the up-and-coming referendum on election methods?
MMP is fine but (puts on helmet and stab proof vest) we need to make the term 4 (or 5) years not 3, reanimate an upper house and ban all electoral polling outside of an election year (or the electorate needs to grow/shape/smarten up)

j2hyde wrote:These threads always go to shit very quickly, so I'll get the ball rolling.
;)

j2hyde wrote: -It's no big deal. Most big cities have one governing body and the current arrangement is inefficient/crap anyway.
- Ecan were a joke. Which probably wasn't their fault - all the district councils are tasked with implementing a shambolic mess of legislation forced on them by central government. Add that to the fact that the RMA is fundamentally flawed and it was inevitable. Expect more of this or other council amalgamations in the near future.
I don't actually give a fuck about Dorkland's mess but Ecan were no more of a mess than most other TA's BUT they're dealing with the province where the resource shortage/population factor is biggest, I can't see how appointed commissioners will do any better without favouring 1 interest group over another, but to tell the voters that their choice of council is not acceptable? Problematic.

j2hyde wrote:- Implementing emissions trading without international support is pretty dumb and they know it. But the public doesn't. So they're fucked either way.
They just need to decide and get on with it.

j2hyde wrote:
crustymtb wrote:Fo'sure

- Granted, this is pretty wierd. Something else must be going on in the background.
As you're in minerals you should be concerned, the proposed wording will mean a minor iwi could block any seafloor mining development in their area, out to the edge of the economic zone.

[/quote]KRudd is a bit of a tool, but like Key he's marginally better than the alternative. Like Key he's got no factional support so he lives and dies by the polls. They say you get the gubbiment you deserve. And we have.[/quote]and that's scary...
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""

Postby CrustyMTB on Thu 29/Apr/10 10:04pm

wuffy wrote:The first 3 quarters of their term are going to be spent re-arranging the pile of crap labour left for them ;)?
Swallowed the propaganda much?
CrustyMTB

Postby happybaboon on Thu 29/Apr/10 10:08pm

Could someone please confirm whether or not John Key still has a nice smile?
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby nostromo on Thu 29/Apr/10 10:15pm

happybaboon wrote:Could someone please confirm whether or not John Key still has a nice smile?

I'd describe it as indolent, with a hint of a requirement to go poopoos in the next 10 minutes.
nostromo
":-("
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby j2hyde on Thu 29/Apr/10 10:15pm

CrustyMTB wrote:I can't see how appointed commissioners will do any better without favouring 1 interest group over another, but to tell the voters that their choice of council is not acceptable? Problematic.

True, but there's 2 kinds of votes in our system. The kind you put into a ballot box and $$$$. Like it or not both count...

crustymtb wrote:As you're in minerals you should be concerned, the proposed wording will mean a minor iwi could block any seafloor mining development in their area, out to the edge of the economic zone.

Not really an issue. Everyone has their price, and that that's factored into the cost of commodities. Like the cost of electricity that we're paying now. I've got no real interest in seafloor mining, it's blue sky stuff at this stage.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby its that guy on Thu 29/Apr/10 10:16pm

happybaboon wrote:Could someone please confirm whether or not John Key still has a nice smile?

"What you talking bout fool"
:p
its that guy
"Lurkin"
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby happybaboon on Thu 29/Apr/10 10:18pm

Ok, JK DEFINITELY needs to go poopoos based on the expression in that photo :lol:
happybaboon

Postby happybaboon on Thu 29/Apr/10 10:19pm

I reconsider: JK was doing poopoos during the taking of that photograph :huh:
happybaboon

Re: The Govt Scorecard

Postby happybaboon on Thu 29/Apr/10 10:21pm

j2hyde wrote:These threads always go to shit very quickly

Um, looks like you were right...
happybaboon

Postby wuffy on Thu 29/Apr/10 10:23pm

its that guy wrote:First past the post can suck my ball sack long time.

That's very caveman like, typical wellingtonian. It's good for the simplicity, the elected Gov. can be named within 30 mins of pols being closed. With MMP, I think the longest was 6 weeks? Cause of Winnie the Poo (Winston Peters) being a right prick about it when him and NZ First were the "king maker".
wuffy
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby cruiser on Thu 29/Apr/10 10:26pm

I never vote cause they're all lying cunzors and what's worse who'd you trust if not JK?
cruiser
Member for: 8 years 10 months

Environment | Europe | Local Politics | National Politics | New Zealand | Poland | Politics | Regions | Sifting - Latest Posts