Media Passes...

Postby kona.stinky. on Tue 6/Apr/10 4:02pm

Hey guys, I am becoming more involved in photography, but I would like to go to some mountain biking events and take some photo's for practice, but I don't want to go to a mountain biking even and get in trouble for going past the barrier for a better shot, but my main question is, would they give a media pass out to a 14 year old? and if they would, how would I attain one?

Cheers.
kona.stinky.
"Si"
Member for: 7 years 9 months

Re: Media Passes...

Postby wuffy on Tue 6/Apr/10 4:08pm

kona.stinky. wrote:Hey guys, I am becoming more involved in photography, but I would like to go to some mountain biking events and take some photo's for practice, but I don't want to go to a mountain biking even and get in trouble for going past the barrier for a better shot, but my main question is, would they give a media pass out to a 14 year old? and if they would, how would I attain one?

Cheers.

Don't go past the barrier?
wuffy
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby wheeltowheel on Tue 6/Apr/10 6:50pm

I would simply ask the organisers of whatever event you'd like a media pass for.

Make sure you call the right person - if the event website has a media liasion person listed, call them and not someone else. Make sure you know their name, that you tell them who you are, who you work for/are planning to work for. Speak clearly, don't waffle - all the usual phone sales stuff. You're not just asking for a media pass - you need to convince whoever it is that it's a really good idea to give you one, that it'll be a good thing for them as well as a good thing for you. This is essential practice for getting anything done as a freelancer, and the sooner you start, the better you'll be at it.

It helps to be actually on assignment for someone, or at least to have had your work published. "I work for XXX magazine and I'd like a media pass" sounds way better than "I would like a media pass".

The odds are definitely stacked against you as a relatively inexperienced and as yet unknown 14 year-old. But if you don't ask for something, you definitely won't get it. If you do ask, you still might not get it, but now there's at least a 50/50 chance that you will. If doesn't happen at all, you'll just have to work a bit harder to get the good shots...
wheeltowheel
Member for: 7 years 9 months

Postby woodsy on Tue 6/Apr/10 9:25pm

mountain bike events dont generally need one but if one is required you must present a letter on company letterhead from editor, publisher or producer saying who you are and what credentials are. and has to be done normally 3 days before hand
woodsy
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Postby TalkieT on Tue 6/Apr/10 9:44pm

kona.stinky. wrote:Hey guys, I am becoming more involved in photography, but I would like to go to some mountain biking events and take some photo's for practice, but I don't want to go to a mountain biking even and get in trouble for going past the barrier for a better shot, but my main question is, would they give a media pass out to a 14 year old? and if they would, how would I attain one?

Cheers.

Good on ya, but I wouldn't worry about a media pass for MTB events - no-one should be on the wrong side of the tape anyway, media pass or not... In NZ at least the tape is there to mark the course and dangerous areas.

Woodsy and I have shot a lot of MTB and I personally haven't felt the need to shoot from the wrong sode of the tape... (Now of course I am thinking perhaps at some point in the past I have and await someone posting a photo to prove it)

Woodsy of course gets around this problem by climbing trees to get OVER the course instead of on it. Clever idea :-)

Cheers - N
www.nzsnaps.com
TalkieT
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby woodsy on Tue 6/Apr/10 10:05pm

:)

and another way to get in is to be picked up by a pro as his second shooter
treeYV8F0119.jpg
tree hugging hard to do while taking shots
woodsy
Member for: 13 years 1 month