What Is This Frame ? And Wheels? (retro Track)

Postby TukitukiFREERIDER on Sun 4/Apr/10 6:51pm

I have brought an old track frame, it came with A few parts with some retro high end parts by the looks of it, just wanting to know abit more about them and if they would be of value to a classic bike enthusiast or if they are just old common parts . Im planning on just making it into a commuter bike to get round wellington on.

. Frame is a bit beaten has no stickers or markings apart from suntour labeled dropouts and a 1000 serial code under bb. any ideas what i have here ?

Also the front forks have campagnolo labeled dropouts are these campag forks or just dropouts on them ?

Front hub is an 'airlite' anmd thats laced to a fiamme Brevetto Longhi rim
http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/co ... -rims.html sound like the 50s ones
Do these have any value or coolness or just old ?

Rear wheel has a campagnolo record hub laced to a fiamme red label rim.

Also has 3ttt stem

Thankyou for your help.
TukitukiFREERIDER
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Re: What Is This Frame ? And Wheels? (retro Track)

Postby Oli on Sun 4/Apr/10 7:42pm

They will just be Campag fork tips - no telling from your description what you've got your hands on there. The parts may have some value, but certainly not heaps and it's entirely dependent on their condition.
Oli
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby TukitukiFREERIDER on Sun 4/Apr/10 9:19pm

Cheers Oli. Took some pictures of frame . Hubs are in good condition rims look decent few little scratches but would look decent polished up, only thing with wheels is some little bits or surface rust on spokes. Good front tubular but rear is holed i am thinking of replacing back rim with a clincher style rim as more suited to commuting i thought, Also how hard is it to fix a tubular tyre ?
IMG_6084.JPG

IMG_6089.JPG

IMG_6091.JPG

IMG_6115.JPG

IMG_6121.JPG
TukitukiFREERIDER

Postby Oli on Sun 4/Apr/10 9:27pm

That fork crown looks like an Abeni one I think?...but the lugs look like the ones on Mitchell frames. Tubulars can be fixed but it's a pain in the arse. Also if they look perished they are majorly at risk of blow out under stress - the price of a new pair is well worth it. :thumbsup:
Oli

Postby Oli on Sun 4/Apr/10 9:34pm

Just been Goobling Abeni but can't find much out - John Abeni built frames in Kingsford, Sydney. I'm not totally sure that's his logo but it definitely rings a bell to me...

Nice looking frame, by the way! :thumbsup:
Oli

Postby TukitukiFREERIDER on Sun 4/Apr/10 10:15pm

Thanks Oli i. You dont think the frame could be an old bianchi ? seems right colour something like this http://velospace.org/node/25437 or are they wrong lugs ? From what you see is there any way of knowing what type of tubing it is ?
TukitukiFREERIDER

Postby Oli on Sun 4/Apr/10 10:21pm

No, the colour isn't right and the lugs don't look like Bianchi ones either, sorry. Can't tell what tubing it is either, sorry. Odds are though with SunTour rear ends it's a Tange or Ishiwata tubed frame, so Japanese tubing. I guess Columbus is a possibilty with the fork ends, but very hard to say...
Oli

Postby hunno on Mon 5/Apr/10 8:59pm

Looking at the fork crown, it looks like the Aquila frame brought in by Bluebird Cycles of Petone in the late 70's. I had a road frame. One of the first more modern frames brought into the country other than Carlton/Raleigh/Bertin?MKM etc frames.
hunno
Member for: 9 years 9 months

Postby musta on Mon 5/Apr/10 9:49pm

The Campag Record hub (thats if its pista/track) would be worth a bit depending on what type/year, they polish up nicely.
Do you have a picture of it? Low flange or High Flange?
The Sheriff star design ones are worth even more.
If its high flange they are likely to breakages, you can read about the on google. So wouldn't recommend doing skids on them!
musta
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby Oli on Mon 5/Apr/10 10:52pm

hunno wrote:Looking at the fork crown, it looks like the Aquila frame brought in by Bluebird Cycles of Petone in the late 70's. I had a road frame. One of the first more modern frames brought into the country other than Carlton/Raleigh/Bertin?MKM etc frames.
Aquila! That would be right. :thumbsup:
Oli

Postby TukitukiFREERIDER on Fri 10/Feb/12 3:52pm

Thanks for that guys! Do you know any more about the brand Aquila ? I googled it but nothing ?
TukitukiFREERIDER

Cycling | Retro Bicycles | Road Cycling | Road Racing | Track Cycling - Latest Posts