Trials Riding...

Postby the-right-to-evolve on Fri 2/Apr/10 9:39pm

wanna build up a cheap (read ghetto) 24" trials bike (street only, hence the 24") and itd be good to get some advice on how to go a bout it. i know about long stem, easy ratio etc etc im more interested in the frame/fork and whether i can use a cheap mtb frame with rigids as id rather not fork out for a trials frame if i don't enjoy it. cheers :)
the-right-to-evolve
"Language is the liquid that we're all dissolved in, great for solving problems after it creates them."
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Re: Trials Riding...

Postby pushbikerider on Fri 2/Apr/10 9:44pm

MTB Frame will be fine to learn on, if you enjoy it, you'll want to get a better frame, but an MTB frame will be fine to start on
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby the-right-to-evolve on Fri 2/Apr/10 10:33pm

could i use a 24" cruiser bmx frame??? i was just on trademe looking at some and thought if i could find one cheap it'd be perfect....
the-right-to-evolve
"Language is the liquid that we're all dissolved in, great for solving problems after it creates them."
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Postby cruiser on Sat 3/Apr/10 9:22am

Definitely.
Even a 20"...think about what the flatland and skatepark bmx riders can do with their bikes. The wheelbase of a 24-26" would obviously be better for traditional MTB trials of obstacle hopping, but it all starts with the simple stuff first that can be done on bmx's. 20 or 24"
cruiser
Member for: 8 years 10 months

Postby pushbikerider on Sat 3/Apr/10 9:34am

the-right-to-evolve wrote:could i use a 24" cruiser bmx frame??? i was just on trademe looking at some and thought if i could find one cheap it'd be perfect....

you should be fine with a cruiser frame, one of the guys that I used to work with rode a cruiser for urban trials style and he went well on it

Although rather than looking for just a frame are you better off to try and find a small / xsmall complete MTB and start from there, often building up a bike from parts is dearer than buying a secondhand (unfashionable) bike
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Sat 3/Apr/10 10:45am

FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Cycling | Trials - Latest Posts