Xterra Mountain Bike Stage

Postby wazza_1234 on Mon 29/Mar/10 1:33pm

Can anyone give me more info about the Xterra mtb course. Like what sort of tracks they are? Single, 4x4, forest tracks? Also has anyone got a profile map? Be good to see what I'm in for. The website has only got this map...
Appreciate any help. Unfortunately I haven't been about to get up there for a recon mission.
2010 - MTB Map-1.pdf
Downloaded 122 times
wazza_1234
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Re: Xterra Mountain Bike Stage

Postby Conners on Mon 29/Mar/10 9:19pm

wazza_1234 wrote:Can anyone give me more info about the Xterra mtb course. Like what sort of tracks they are? Single, 4x4, forest tracks? Also has anyone got a profile map? Be good to see what I'm in for. The website has only got this map...
Appreciate any help. Unfortunately I haven't been about to get up there for a recon mission.

Hey wazza, I noticed the changes in the course this morning and got mildly excited! (no Billly T, but Huckleberry Hound + Corners will be AWESOME).

The long version:
Tarawera Road: Sealed, uphill.
Windy/Red Tank/Windy/Hill Roads: 4wd/Gravel Roads - uphill (I'd say this is about half of the the climbing for the course?).
Frontal Labotomy: Sweet sweet singletrack. But uphill, quite sharply.
Huckleberry Hound + Corners: Sweet sweet singletrack, Grade 3, lots of little jumps on HH (nothing thats not rollable though). I'm picking it will be fun and games getting through a lot of triathletes/roadies on these two tracks :lol:
Hill Road/Moerangi Road: 4wd/Gravel roads - uphill again (most of the other half of the climbing?)
G-Rock: pure awesomeness. Singletrack, downhill, again Grade 3 and uber fun.
Chestnut link: My memory is fading on this one
Moerangi Road: Never ridden this section (why would you when there is Split Enz to ride down? Oh, when Spliz Enz is closed for logging :( ) Based on the topography though, must be a climb up and then what looks like a faaaaaast blat down an open 4wd track.
Branch Road/Lakefront Road: 4wd track, generally follows the lakefront (duh) but is more up and down than you'd think. A good place to start putting the hurt down. Then a climb up to the Blue Lake Lookout (unknown elevation sorry - but not very high)
From there it's down another 4wd ish track (with 100s of runners coming the other way, so watch out and try not to steam off the track into them) to the final flatish sealed section around the side of the Blue Lake and back to the finish.

So in summary:
Road + 4wd + gravel climb to begin.
Awesome singletrack mid section (downhill)
Shortish 4wd climb
Awesome singletrack downhill.
4wd climb + long 4wd descent (don't quote me on this)
Rolling 4wd + small climb then down to the finish.

Unsure of elevations etc - but if you're really keen to find out I'm sure http://www.tracks.org.nz would be a good place to start.

Have fun, should be a great day out :thumbsup:
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Re: Xterra Mountain Bike Stage

Postby wazza_1234 on Tue 30/Mar/10 10:20am

Thanks Conners. Sounds like a fun day on the bike! Appreciate the thorough break down. WS
wazza_1234
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Multisport | Triathlons - Latest Posts