How Unlucky Do You Have To Be To Be Sir Stirling Moss

Postby Rik on Wed 10/Mar/10 1:49pm

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/157510/1/s ... _fall.html

“As a result of a malfunction of the lift in their home, the lift doors opened on the third floor when the lift was waiting at the fourth floor. Sir Stirling stepped through the doors on the third floor and dropped three storeys down the lift shaft to the concrete base.

“He broke both ankles and four bones in his feet in the fall, as well as damage to some vertebrae. Amazingly, he did not suffer any internal injuries. He was initially admitted to London Hospital and then moved yesterday following the intervention of Professor Sid Watkins to Princess Grace Hospital, where he was operated upon.
:o
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Re: How Unlucky Do You Have To Be To Be Sir Stirling Moss

Postby Percy Pig on Wed 10/Mar/10 6:28pm

Pretty unlucky! :crazy:

After all those years of driving F1 in the good old days, when safety was a thin helmet and a pair of leather gloves, he gets messed up falling down his own lift shaft! :blink:
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Wed 10/Mar/10 7:46pm

Rik wrote:http://www.crash.net/f1/news/157510/1/sir_stirling_moss_injured_following_three-storey_fall.html

“As a result of a malfunction of the lift in their home, the lift doors opened on the third floor when the lift was waiting at the fourth floor. Sir Stirling stepped through the doors on the third floor and dropped three storeys down the lift shaft to the concrete base.

“He broke both ankles and four bones in his feet in the fall, as well as damage to some vertebrae. Amazingly, he did not suffer any internal injuries. He was initially admitted to London Hospital and then moved yesterday following the intervention of Professor Sid Watkins to Princess Grace Hospital, where he was operated upon.
:o

:( :exclaim: :( :exclaim:
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby wuffy on Wed 10/Mar/10 7:49pm

Idiot much? How could not notice the elevator inside not actually being there?
wuffy
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Wed 10/Mar/10 7:55pm

wuffy wrote:Idiot much? How could not notice the elevator inside not actually being there?

After a lifetime of habitually walking into lifts and finding them there, I'm guessing this would be an easy mistake to make.
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby zephyrheaven on Wed 10/Mar/10 8:42pm

I consider myself to be reasonably up with current events, but I thought he was dead already!?

Thanks Rik - for at least returning him to the living in my mind
zephyrheaven
Member for: 8 years 2 months

Postby dented on Wed 10/Mar/10 9:12pm

He was in NZ in January, at Hampton Downs for the Festival of Speed thing. His ankles were fine at the time I believe.
dented
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby fatwombat on Thu 11/Mar/10 2:33am

Actually, it sounds like he was pretty lucky - to be still breathing after that sort of fall is pretty good, and without internal injuries is very fortunate. At his age any internal injury could have had a lingering effect on the rest of his life.

But I do sort of agree with Wuffy's unsympathetic comment as well. Look before you leap and all that (yawn) :sleeping:
fatwombat
"Our planet is the mental institution of the universe. - Goethe"
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby Colin on Thu 11/Mar/10 7:16am

Home lift is likely to be v small, and there gloomy.

Time of day (or night) possibly not turning on lights... could easily happen.

Heaps of people on this site have had to take extended time off the bike following injury. Luck / idiot ever a factor there?
Colin
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby happybaboon on Thu 11/Mar/10 7:22am

He's led a charmed life... This is a bit of a nasty accident to have, but I'd probably jump down a lift shaft when I'm an old man in exchange for getting to do half the shit what he done on racetracks (and live) :thumbsup:

Hope he's aaaaight though :(
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby fatwombat on Thu 11/Mar/10 12:22pm

Colin wrote:Heaps of people on this site have had to take extended time off the bike following injury. Luck / idiot ever a factor there?

Is this a trick question? :) How often is luck/idiot ever NOT a contributing factor of crashes and injuries? All it takes is a moment of inattention or distraction when you're doing something that seems so routine you've forgotten the associated risks - I'm guilty as charged.
fatwombat
"Our planet is the mental institution of the universe. - Goethe"
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby musket on Thu 11/Mar/10 12:27pm

Like my girl's Dad says, "there's dickheads everywhere".
musket
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby istepinyards on Thu 11/Mar/10 1:01pm

There is no such thing as luck. That is all
istepinyards
"I'm not arrogant, I am just better than you. That is a scientific fact."
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby pedalingkiwi on Thu 11/Mar/10 6:20pm

dented wrote:He was in NZ in January, at Hampton Downs for the Festival of Speed thing. His ankles were fine at the time I believe.

:ib: I was at Hampton Downs and didn't hear any mention of him being there - but then again I have been wrong sometimes :p

I too asked myself how the hell could one walk into a lift that wasn't there ?? I hadn't heard he'd gone blind. Automatic behaviour / force of habit / blind assumption might explain it.

Sir Stirling was actually very lucky to survive the dangerous days of motor racing - his career ended when he rather neatly folded his F1 Lotus in half with him inside it against an earth bank at Goodwood. Took them ages to cut him free of the tangle of chassis tubes, and he was in a coma for 6 months afterwards. Never raced seriously again, but remains an icon of the sport, regarded as right up there with the best.
pedalingkiwi
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby dented on Thu 11/Mar/10 9:37pm

pedalingkiwi wrote:
dented wrote:He was in NZ in January, at Hampton Downs for the Festival of Speed thing. His ankles were fine at the time I believe.

:ib: I was at Hampton Downs and didn't hear any mention of him being there - but then again I have been wrong sometimes :p

I wasnt there myself, but a friend of mine was racing there that weekend, and its what he told me. So, 2nd Hand info and all that, but I have no reason to think he made it up.
dented
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Motoring | Motorsport | Sifting - Latest Posts