E.13 Lg1+ Rubbing, Anyone Else Had Problems With Setup?

Postby White-Lightning on Thu 4/Mar/10 11:39pm

Hi
I just brought a 2009 E.13 LG1+ chainguide and installed it today, the installation itself was a breeze, top marks e.13 . But the problem I now have is that when I am either my highest or lowest gears (11-34 tooth cassette) the chain rubs on the upper guide, not badly but a bit annoying, I thought that it may be down to the fact that I have a "all mountain" cassette on but really, no matter what the size of the cassette, when the chain is in the highest/lowest gear it is still going to be just as far out line with the top of the guide as a "dh" cassette because they are all the same width. so my question is, how do you dh'ers that have an LG1+ run them to keep them from rubbing? is it all to do with the spacing?

at the moment the guide is spaced so that when I am in gear 4,5, 6 the chain-line is straight (I am guessing this is the correct position ?).

any tips/help would be appreciated :thumbsup: .
chur
White-Lightning
Member for: 8 years 4 months

Re: E.13 Lg1+ Rubbing, Anyone Else Had Problems With Setup?

Postby wuffy on Thu 4/Mar/10 11:49pm

I'd say, when you look at the drive side from the side, its tilted too far anti-clockwise, so the guide isn't far enough round the chainring, as far as I can think anyway. I may be wrong.
wuffy
Member for: 5 years 4 months

Postby banga on Fri 5/Mar/10 8:25am

what bb and wheel spacing combo? I would think this would be more of the problem than the guide. i.e. 73mm and 135mm will rub on pretty much anything.
banga
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby cruiser on Fri 5/Mar/10 8:34am

you take an old SRS i got and I'll have the LG1...that'll fix it.
cruiser
Member for: 5 years 8 months

Postby White-Lightning on Fri 5/Mar/10 8:45am

wuffy wrote:I'd say, when you look at the drive side from the side, its tilted too far anti-clockwise, so the guide isn't far enough round the chainring, as far as I can think anyway. I may be wrong.

We did look at that and rotated the guide around a bit further than what e.13 recommended because it seemed that the more you did that, the hole/opening at the top of the guide increased but we cant rotate it anymore because of the chain stay.

banga wrote:what bb and wheel spacing combo? I would think this would be more of the problem than the guide. i.e. 73mm and 135mm will rub on pretty much anything.

yeap its a 73/135mm. why would that cause any extra problems? would I be able to space it out at all using bb spacers?
White-Lightning

Postby integral on Fri 5/Mar/10 8:49am

I have the same thing going on. No real fix for it, it get alot worse when you ride in the wet and get mud and shit on your chain. You get used to it after a while.I don't notice it at all now except when the bike is in the workstand.
integral
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Postby banga on Fri 5/Mar/10 8:52am

White-Lightning wrote:
wuffy wrote:I'd say, when you look at the drive side from the side, its tilted too far anti-clockwise, so the guide isn't far enough round the chainring, as far as I can think anyway. I may be wrong.

We did look at that and rotated the guide around a bit further than what e.13 recommended because it seemed that the more you did that, the hole/opening at the top of the guide increased but we cant rotate it anymore because of the chain stay.

banga wrote:what bb and wheel spacing combo? I would think this would be more of the problem than the guide. i.e. 73mm and 135mm will rub on pretty much anything.

yeap its a 73/135mm. why would that cause any extra problems? would I be able to space it out at all using bb spacers?

Nope, its already too far out and it is makes the chainline less than ideal. Pretty much you'll just have to live with it, you could face the BB down to 68, (2.5mm off each side) but that would take ages.
banga

Postby White-Lightning on Fri 5/Mar/10 8:59am

Ok. And by facing the bb down that solves problems? what about the fellas that run a 83mm shell? do you think I could file the edges of the top guide down just a tad so it is wide enough to accommodate the chain-line?
Last edited by White-Lightning on Fri 5/Mar/10 9:06am, edited 1 time in total.
White-Lightning

Postby banga on Fri 5/Mar/10 9:05am

White-Lightning wrote:Ok. And by facing the bb down that solves problems? what about the fellas that run a 83mm shell?

Hard to tell without knowing the bike, but it would definitely reduce the rubbing. Most 83mm bikes have 150mm rear wheels. I get a little rubbing on my Sunday (83mm , 150mm) when at the very top of the cassette.
banga

Postby White-Lightning on Fri 5/Mar/10 9:12am

banga wrote:
White-Lightning wrote:Ok. And by facing the bb down that solves problems? what about the fellas that run a 83mm shell?

Hard to tell without knowing the bike, but it would definitely reduce the rubbing. Most 83mm bikes have 150mm rear wheels. I get a little rubbing on my Sunday (83mm , 150mm) when at the very top of the cassette.

oh sorry, 2007 sx trail. bike to go overseas with me. So is it because I have a small rear wheel that the size of the bb is pushing everything out of line? do you think I could file the edges of the top guide down/wider just a tad so it is wide enough to accommodate the chain-line? it wouldn't have to be a drastic alteration but just a little bit.
White-Lightning

Postby banga on Fri 5/Mar/10 9:17am

White-Lightning wrote:
banga wrote:

oh sorry, 2007 sx trail. bike to go overseas with me. So is it because I have a small rear wheel that the size of the bb is pushing everything out of line? do you think I could file the edges of the top guide down/wider just a tad so it is wide enough to accommodate the chain-line? it wouldn't have to be a drastic alteration but just a little bit.

Can't see why not, some modding would most likely help.
banga

Postby moonbouncer on Fri 5/Mar/10 9:18am

Hey Bryn run your bike 8 or 7 speed. that would solve it
moonbouncer
Member for: 7 years 11 months

Postby White-Lightning on Fri 5/Mar/10 9:23am

banga wrote:
White-Lightning wrote:
banga wrote:

Can't see why not, some modding would most likely help.

may have to give it a whirl then :) .Thanks very much for your help :thumbsup: :thumbsup: .

moonbouncer wrote:Hey Bryn run your bike 8 or 7 speed. that would solve it

Hey Ryan, so just take off the top/bottom cog and adjust it then? I don't have the cash to do It any other way... :(
White-Lightning

Postby moonbouncer on Fri 5/Mar/10 3:55pm

Yea man you replace top and bottom cog with a spacer and the look your shifter out then you have a 7 speed bike. (what all the cool kids are doing these days)
moonbouncer
Member for: 7 years 11 months

Postby wuffy on Fri 5/Mar/10 4:04pm

4 Speed on a DH rig is ok. But 7 Speed on an SX trail? Really? I would've though it'd be a bit limiting if you did that.
wuffy
Member for: 5 years 4 months

Bicycle Repair | Clubs | Cycling | Downhill Racing | Freeriding (MTB) | Lower North Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Wellington | Wellington MTB Club | Wellington Region - Latest Posts