Riding Again.....

Postby wuffy on Fri 26/Feb/10 7:10pm

Hi hi hi. I've just bought myself an NZKW carbon hardtail, and the seatpost to match, nothing too over the top, just something good to get me started with XC and XC racing, anyone had any problems with these types of frames before? . Going 9 speed with the gearing and using the MRP 1.X chain guide with it and a 32 T chain ring, any advice on gear ratios? I've used this on my 4-X bike for a while and that seemed to work well with everything so just testing it atm. Also I don't know much about XC or trail tracks in ChCh as I've only done DH so haven't thought to look, could someone point out some good places to start? I'm not exactly fit but once I start riding again i'll get back on form. Any advice would be greatly appreciated......

The bike so far.....
DSC_0040.jpg
wuffy
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Re: Riding Again.....

Postby chuckie34 on Fri 26/Feb/10 7:12pm

how is the arm recovering?
chuckie34
User avatar
"I had an idea - - - - -"
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Re: Riding Again.....

Postby wuffy on Fri 26/Feb/10 7:13pm

chuckie34 wrote:how is the arm recovering?


Good thanks, 3 weeks till I can ride... itching to get back on the saddle. Hopefully i'll be in time to get some summer riding in before the autumn weather kicks in.
wuffy
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Re: Riding Again.....

Postby chuckie34 on Fri 26/Feb/10 7:31pm

wuffy wrote:Good thanks, 3 weeks till I can ride... itching to get back on the saddle. Hopefully i'll be in time to get some summer riding in before the autumn weather kicks in.



thats a quick repair. good on ya
chuckie34
User avatar
"I had an idea - - - - -"
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Re: Riding Again.....

Postby slowMTB on Sat 27/Feb/10 6:33pm

wuffy wrote:Hi hi hi. I've just bought myself an NZKW carbon hardtail, and the seatpost to match, nothing too over the top, just something good to get me started with XC and XC racing, anyone had any problems with these types of frames before? . Going 9 speed with the gearing and using the MRP 1.X chain guide with it and a 32 T chain ring, any advice on gear ratios? I've used this on my 4-X bike for a while and that seemed to work well with everything so just testing it atm. Also I don't know much about XC or trail tracks in ChCh as I've only done DH so haven't thought to look, could someone point out some good places to start? I'm not exactly fit but once I start riding again i'll get back on form. Any advice would be greatly appreciated......

The bike so far.....


There are some fantastic trails in Victoria Park ;) :D
slowMTB
User avatar
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Re: Riding Again.....

Postby DH_pinner on Sat 27/Feb/10 9:31pm

pop over to mcleans island or bottle lake if you want some flat riding,but if you want a hill go to rapaki track,huntsbury hill or hawswell quarry
DH_pinner
User avatar
"If your not pinning your not winning"
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Re: Riding Again.....

Postby kiwi_zg on Sat 27/Feb/10 9:39pm

The flat pedals are only temporary right?
kiwi_zg
User avatar
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Re: Riding Again.....

Postby wuffy on Sat 27/Feb/10 9:43pm

kiwi_zg wrote:The flat pedals are only temporary right?


Haha yes. Clips will be on eventually.

Thanks for responses, I do bottle lake already and was looking to get some hilly stuff in aswell.
wuffy
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Re: Riding Again.....

Postby Wills27 on Sat 27/Feb/10 10:12pm

do rapaki then turn right then along the summit traverse track then down vic park or up some more to flying nun then back along and down vic park. Up captain thomas then along the road and down the anaconda is also fun. Frame and bike look awesome dude.
Wills27
Member for: 9 years 10 months

Re: Riding Again.....

Postby malcs on Sat 27/Feb/10 10:28pm

wuffy wrote: any advice on gear ratios?


Yeah I've got MRP 1.x and a 32T chain ring with 11 - 34 on my chameleon at the moment. I'm not a cross country racer but find with a bit of determination :cry: I can get up most stuff with that ratio. Also haven't had the chain come off :) , even belting down flow and bridges track as fast as my legs can hack it on a hard tail :crazy: .
malcs
User avatar
"if you don't puke, you're not trying hard enough"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Re: Riding Again.....

Postby Wills27 on Sun 28/Feb/10 8:24am

malcs wrote:
wuffy wrote: any advice on gear ratios?


Yeah I've got MRP 1.x and a 32T chain ring with 11 - 34 on my chameleon at the moment. I'm not a cross country racer but find with a bit of determination :cry: I can get up most stuff with that ratio. Also haven't had the chain come off :) , even belting down flow and bridges track as fast as my legs can hack it on a hard tail :crazy: .

You may also be best if you got a double ring chainguide and ran a granny gear to start with.
Wills27
Member for: 9 years 10 months

Re: Riding Again.....

Postby kiwi_zg on Sun 28/Feb/10 12:00pm

Sram XX would be a great set-up if you got the dosh. :)
kiwi_zg
User avatar
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Re: Riding Again.....

Postby nigelp on Sun 28/Feb/10 1:01pm

malcs wrote:Yeah I've got MRP 1.x and a 32T chain ring with 11 - 34 on my chameleon at the moment. I'm not a cross country racer but find with a bit of determination :cry: I can get up most stuff with that ratio. Also haven't had the chain come off :) , even belting down flow and bridges track as fast as my legs can hack it on a hard tail :crazy: .

I second that. I use 32T ring with 11-34 on my GT Peace 29er and can make it up most of what the port hills have to offer. I rate the MRP1.x also!
nigelp
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Re: Riding Again.....

Postby RussS on Sun 28/Feb/10 1:23pm

Good stuff wuffy - glad y'all coming right.

Those NZKW frames are very similar to the Sette ones I understand.
RussS
User avatar
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Re: Riding Again.....

Postby wuffy on Sun 28/Feb/10 2:06pm

Wills27 wrote: You may also be best if you got a double ring chainguide and ran a granny gear to start with.


Yeah but that's a ton of dead weight I wouldn't use 99% of the time. I plan on getting fit quickly.

Thanks for the help peeps.
wuffy
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Canterbury | Christchurch | Cross Country Racing | Cycling | Middle South Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Post Your Bike | Regions | Trail Riding - Latest Posts

Who is online

56 Users browsing this website: Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], swtchbckr and 53 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • Merlin Cycles
  • ProBikeKit
  • Torpedo7
  • Vorb Shop