Freeride Vs Downhill

Postby gabreu on Thu 25/Feb/10 5:08pm

Hi there,
I've been riding my hart-tail for almost a year, trying to do some jumping, trailing and whatnot. But I think soon it will be time to upgrade. I'm trying to decide what's the next step, a freeride bike or a downhill one. Any thoughts?
Cheers
Gabriel
gabreu
Member for: 7 years 8 months

Re: Freeride Vs Downhill

Postby Percy Pig on Thu 25/Feb/10 5:30pm

If you want to race DH, get a DH bike.
If you want to mess around with lots of travel, and still ride to the top, get a "freeride" bike.

Would help to know your budget, as thats usually the biggest limitation as to what bike you can get! :)
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby gabreu on Thu 25/Feb/10 5:42pm

yeah, budget is not too big :( In the case of a downhill bike it would have to be second hand. I'm pretty sure I won't race soon. Just looking for fun and to get more skills. I suppose that sounds more like a freeride bike :p
Cheers
gabreu

Postby SamKnight on Thu 25/Feb/10 5:52pm

Why do you think its time to upgrade?

Personally i'd say go with a new do it all hardtail ie P series, STP etc to build a better skill base, by then you will know which direction you want to go in.
SamKnight
"Meh"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby yetidude113 on Thu 25/Feb/10 6:05pm

Percy Pig wrote:If you want to race DH, get a DH bike.
If you want to mess around with lots of travel, and still ride to the top, get a "freeride" bike.

Would help to know your budget, as thats usually the biggest limitation as to what bike you can get! :)

Yeah you can still ride DH on a freeride bike, its really just depends what you want to do.
yetidude113
"PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!"
Member for: 8 years 2 months

Postby DH_pinner on Thu 25/Feb/10 6:05pm

SamKnight wrote:Why do you think its time to upgrade?

Personally i'd say go with a new do it all hardtail ie P series, STP etc to build a better skill base, by then you will know which direction you want to go in.

how long have you been riding hardtail?

i recently upgraded from ht to a fully and a shorter travel freeride bike works perfectly
DH_pinner
"If your not pinning your not winning"
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Postby yetidude113 on Thu 25/Feb/10 6:11pm

DH_pinner wrote:

how long have you been riding hardtail?

i recently upgraded from ht to a fully and a shorter travel freeride bike works perfectly

He said almost a year
yetidude113
"PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!"
Member for: 8 years 2 months

Postby gabreu on Thu 25/Feb/10 6:15pm

I actually have a STP1, and it has been really versatile... I'm just starting to think about the future, since I'll have to save a lot for whatever I decide to buy :crazy:
Cheers
gabreu

Postby kona.stinky. on Thu 25/Feb/10 7:40pm

if your on a small budget, I can get you a umf freddy triple crown for 1800$ new not ridden from a shop, has 888's on the front, dhx 5 out back,
kona.stinky.
"Si"
Member for: 7 years 9 months

Postby gabreu on Thu 25/Feb/10 10:09pm

kona.stinky. wrote:if your on a small budget, I can get you a umf freddy triple crown for 1800$ new not ridden from a shop, has 888's on the front, dhx 5 out back,

That sounds too good to be true... What's the catch? ;)
gabreu

Postby White-Lightning on Fri 26/Feb/10 12:04am

gabreu wrote:
kona.stinky. wrote:if your on a small budget, I can get you a umf freddy triple crown for 1800$ new not ridden from a shop, has 888's on the front, dhx 5 out back,

That sounds too good to be true... What's the catch? ;)

it has UMF written on it...
White-Lightning
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby northernmonkey on Fri 26/Feb/10 9:29am

Depends on what type of riding uyou want to do, where you are going to ride etc. To be honest if your not sure what you need either stick with what you have until you are, or get a general purpose 5/6" trailbike that will do a bit of everything until you find a dicipline that you really like. Neither downhill nor "freeride" bikes are particularly versatile. You'll get more for your money with a trail bike as the bigger rigs will either have to be the cheaper end ones or Second hand and secondhand freeride/DH bikes I'd be wary of unless your really know what your buying and how to check they've not had a hard life.
northernmonkey
"The North will Rise Again"
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby gabreu on Fri 26/Feb/10 10:23am

I've been hitting different tracks (4X, dirt jumps and some grade 3~4 downhill) with my STP. The downhill is a little tough on a hardtail, but I've managed to enjoy it. What I'm really looking forward is to be able to do bigger jumps and drops (I'm kinda a wuss with big drops!). Then if I upgrade, I still would like to ride similar tracks. I'm definitely moving towards downhill, I'm just not sure if the next step is a fully DH bike :eh:
gabreu

Postby northernmonkey on Fri 26/Feb/10 11:11am

gabreu wrote:I've been hitting different tracks (4X, dirt jumps and some grade 3~4 downhill) with my STP. The downhill is a little tough on a hardtail, but I've managed to enjoy it. What I'm really looking forward is to be able to do bigger jumps and drops (I'm kinda a wuss with big drops!). Then if I upgrade, I still would like to ride similar tracks. I'm definitely moving towards downhill, I'm just not sure if the next step is a fully DH bike :eh:

There are some decend deals around at the mo on run out models - I know Bike barn we're running a 50% off offer at one point recently - I'd try and abuy a DH rig new if you can, they tend to get pretty thrashed so second hand might look like a good option but only if you know what your buying and have a reasonally level of DIY skills on sorting stuff out. The other option of course is buy a cheap second hand beater and see if its what your after before dropping more coin on one. You can pick up older stinkys and glorys and stuff for F - all money these days - remember to haggle, there is a recession on so its a buyers market.
northernmonkey
"The North will Rise Again"
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby mudguard on Fri 26/Feb/10 2:52pm

Buy the best bike you can afford. Fast riders are fast on anything. My first (of not many) national race I was 10 or 15 seconds down on the fastest hardtail. But that's that not the point. If you buy an uber specific DH bike you might find it a pain for general riding. I had Big Hit with Super T's that I rode absolutely everywhere for several years, big tires, double ring and I could climb stuff the weight weenies couldn't because of the grip. All I had to do was put a chain device on, and voila, DH bike!

Save up as much as you can, then look for something with decent parts and looked after. Anything by the big brands will do it.
There are plenty of bikes on trademe bought by weekend warriors who simply don't get to ride them, then sold for a reasonable loss.
mudguard
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Cycling | Downhill Racing | Freeriding (MTB) | Mountain Biking | Trail Riding - Latest Posts