Which Insect Repellent To Ward Off Killer West Coast Bugs?

Postby Tinkerbell on Sun 21/Feb/10 5:34pm

I'm off to Greymouth on Thursday and will be spending the following 8 or 9 nine days biking down to Wanaka (see my blog for info). I've used various stinky repellents over the years including Dimp, RId and Off. Anyone have suggestions for a super heavy duty repellent to keep the gun ship sized bloody guzzlers away from me on the Coast??
Tinkerbell
"I am smiling"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Re: Which Insect Repellent To Ward Off Killer West Coast Bugs?

Postby happybaboon on Sun 21/Feb/10 6:12pm

One with DEET in it (it's an acronym for some chemical). Tough bugs will laugh in the face of the natural insect repellants. I found the natural one to be just-adequate for keeping north island evening bugs from biting me too much (and it smelled nicer than the normal DEET ones)... But for West Coast bugs I think DEET would be moar effective.

[edit] The stuff in the back of my car at the moment is Repel Ultra. I think it's pretty strong.)
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 17 years 8 months

Postby swtchbckr on Sun 21/Feb/10 6:14pm

+1 for DEET. Bushman brand, is the shizzle. at least 80% deet is needed to keep the little bastards at bay. even works in Fiordland where they're the size of house-sparrows. ;) .
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 14 years 7 months

XCguy
Member for: 16 years 1 month

Postby northernmonkey on Sun 21/Feb/10 6:40pm

Anything with DEET. A brand in Pharmacies called Skin Technology is pretty good stuff, doesn't feel so Agent orange like on your skin as the Bushmans stuff. I used it to do the heaphy and it worked well.
northernmonkey
"The North will Rise Again"
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Postby TJ on Sun 21/Feb/10 6:42pm

Marmite & hard pills........
TJ
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Postby Kevin Hague on Sun 21/Feb/10 7:15pm

Tink, I live near Greymouth, and before that used to tour on the Coast frequently. My only successful strategy is don't stop! I find that if I slather something on I've generally sweated it all away by the time I next stop. Going the way you are it really only gets terrible after Fox Glacier, and then improves again after Haast Pass. Worst places in my experience are Lake Paringa, Bruce bay, Haast and the ironically-named "Pleasant" Flat.

So get something you can slather on each time you stop. The old timers used to drink kerosene, but this has never struck me as a viable option.
Kevin Hague
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby Trail on Sun 21/Feb/10 8:16pm

Kev has the right stategy for insect repellent. Only apply for when you are going to be standing around in one place for more than 5 minuets.

The most effective insect repellent is clothing that covers your body (long trousers and long sleeves)... but I find I still need a bit of repellent to stop the little buggers biting my hands and ears etc when I am stopped in the evening trying to cook dinner! DEET based repellents are best for this. Just watch out, they will melt plastic so keep your fingers away from camera lcd screens and the such after applying!!
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby pb on Sun 21/Feb/10 8:30pm

The cancer society sunscreen with insect repellent is worth a go. http://www.cancernz.org.nz/products/sunscreens/ Dont know whats in it, but seems to be the business against most things flying.
pb
"Mmmm, Beer."
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby CrustyMTB on Sun 21/Feb/10 8:43pm

TJ wrote:Marmite & hard pills........
I'd be keen for you to give that a try and report back to us on it.
Trail wrote:Kev has the right stategy for insect repellent. Only apply for when you are going to be standing around in one place for more than 5 minuets.

The most effective insect repellent is clothing that covers your body (long trousers and long sleeves)... but I find I still need a bit of repellent to stop the little buggers biting my hands and ears etc when I am stopped in the evening trying to cook dinner! DEET based repellents are best for this. Just watch out, they will melt plastic so keep your fingers away from camera lcd screens and the such after applying!!
:withstupid:

I've also found that a can of fly spray helps to keep the tent safe too.
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby herbman on Sun 21/Feb/10 8:49pm

CrustyMTB wrote:
TJ wrote:Marmite & hard pills........
I'd be keen for you to give that a try and report back to us on it.
Trail wrote:.

work for me, well any thing with lots of vit b works well, makes you blood taste bad to them little blood sickers
herbman
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Postby Tinkerbell on Sun 21/Feb/10 9:01pm

Thanks for the good suggestions, the only applying when stopping technique was one I was planning one. Vit b might be a goer, it's worked for me in the past, but I won't be relying on it, especially since I'm planning to overnight a Lake Paringa! :huh: I've also found warfren is particuarly effective against them, but not really worth the "hassle". A couple of friends suggested those wrist and ankle band deals, anyone had experience with those?
Tinkerbell
"I am smiling"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby Trail on Sun 21/Feb/10 9:13pm

Just remember that if you happen to enter a national park, then killing sandflies is illegal!! :butbut:
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby kiwi_zg on Sun 21/Feb/10 9:38pm

Eat loads of garlic :crazy:

DEET is very effective , try to get the strong stuff.
kiwi_zg
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby kiwi_zg on Sun 21/Feb/10 9:39pm

Eat loads of garlic :crazy:

As mentioned DEET is very effective , try to get the stronger stuff.
kiwi_zg
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Cycle Touring | Cycling | Middle South Island | New Zealand | Regions | West Coast - Latest Posts