Re: Unusual Cars Mkii Gti

Postby Fraser on Sat 26/Mar/11 9:30pm

FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:
Fraser wrote:I don't get Mini punters. I had mates waxing lyrically over 1275 engines and tutting over 13" minilites. But then you drive a Honda and it is light years ahead.

Of course Minis are different to Hondas - Minis are classics designed in '59 and Hondas (well, most of them) are modern motas.

He is all frothy over a MG Metro engine which in the parameters of Minidom is a modern conversion. But this is all you have to go with. I just used the Honda thing cause when a mate sold his '76 1275GT and got a '67 Honda S800 coupe, I realised that cars were around then (mid 60's) a Morris A-series was already oldskool.

The Italian job should have been more about a Miuras than Morris. ;)
Fraser
Member for: 18 years 10 months

Postby Spokes on Sat 26/Mar/11 10:03pm

Fraser wrote:
The Italian job should have been more about a Miuras than Morris. ;)

Thats would have made the best movie eva. :cool:
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby Colin on Sat 26/Mar/11 11:08pm

FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:Of course Minis are different to Hondas - Minis are classics designed in '59 and Hondas (well, most of them) are modern motas.

Says the man who once claimed the MGB was a great motorcar.
Colin
Member for: 17 years 5 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Sun 27/Mar/11 11:08am

Colin wrote:
FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:Of course Minis are different to Hondas - Minis are classics designed in '59 and Hondas (well, most of them) are modern motas.

I never claimed the MGB was a great motorcar.
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby Wobbler on Sun 27/Mar/11 11:14am

FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:
Colin wrote:

I never claimed the MGB was a great motorcar.

FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:they're very good cars
Wobbler
User avatarMedal
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby happybaboon on Sun 27/Mar/11 12:06pm

I know a dude whos got a violet coloured MGF. He "bought it for his wife". Never seen his wife driving it, only him. Top down, male pattern baldness, sunglasses. He looks absoloutely retarded in it. I feel great shame for him.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 18 years 9 months

Postby dented on Sun 27/Mar/11 12:25pm

The internet never forgets.
dented
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby wuffy on Sun 27/Mar/11 1:03pm

happybaboon wrote:I know a dude whos got a violet coloured MGF. He "bought it for his wife". Never seen his wife driving it, only him. Top down, male pattern baldness, sunglasses. He looks absoloutely retarded in it. I feel great shame for him.

Still in the closet?
wuffy
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby happybaboon on Sun 27/Mar/11 1:11pm

I really have no idea. It's like the worlds most hairdresser car ever. At least MX5's are legitimately fun, light, cheap things which you could throw around without worrying about having it break all the time and annoy the shit out of you... But a modern violet MG convertable? No no no no no no no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 18 years 9 months

Postby ShoreBoy on Sun 27/Mar/11 1:15pm

I did my first Autocross yesterday, which doubled as my first event in the Starlet.
It was pissing down, and the coarse chip surface was much akin to driving on 40 grit sandpaper in terms of tyre damage, but it was still rather hilarious fun!

I ended up near the bottom of the field (22nd out of 27), but I would have been a few places higher without penalties for a couple of wrong turns and hitting a couple of cones. Handbrake turns are epic fun with a hydraulic handbrake!

Definitely got some setup work to do on the car, forgot to mention it failed it's cert on 11 things the other day, including massive friction in the steering system. Diagnosed the issue, which is that the front shocks stroke is WAY too long, causing the bottom of the shock to foul/bind on the lower control arms when there's no weight on the wheels! It would appear the previous owner just threw some adjustables in the front without thinking about the stroke length... DOH!!

That's not to mention the fact that he's cut and WELDED a female thread into the CAST lower control arms to make them adjustable, over-shimmed the diff (to the point where the certifier thinks it's locked) and a few other bits and pieces of total mong-like bush mechanics. :hmmm:

None of that stopped me having bloody good fun skidding around yesterday though! :D
AutoXSmall.jpg
AutoXSmall2.jpg
AutoXsmall3.jpg
AutoXSmall4.jpg
AutoXSmall5.jpg
ShoreBoy
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Sun 27/Mar/11 1:19pm

dented wrote:The internet never forgets.

Or gets the quote correct :rolleyes:
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby Colin on Sun 27/Mar/11 4:51pm

FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:
dented wrote:The internet never forgets.

Or gets the quote correct :rolleyes:

FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:they're very good cars

These exact words from a post "by FLATULENTFRIEND on Tue 10/Feb/09 10:09pm"
Colin
Member for: 17 years 5 months

Postby kona.stinky. on Sun 27/Mar/11 4:53pm

wuffy wrote:
happybaboon wrote:I know a dude whos got a violet coloured MGF. He "bought it for his wife". Never seen his wife driving it, only him. Top down, male pattern baldness, sunglasses. He looks absoloutely retarded in it. I feel great shame for him.

Still in the closet?

Probably locked himself in it .
kona.stinky.
"Si"
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Postby Datsane on Mon 28/Mar/11 11:03am

happybaboon wrote:I really have no idea. It's like the worlds most hairdresser car ever. At least MX5's are legitimately fun, light, cheap things which you could throw around without worrying about having it break all the time and annoy the shit out of you... But a modern violet MG convertable? No no no no no no no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take one fore a drive you might be surprised about how good they are ;)
I know a few people with them and they haven't been a nightmare.
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"
Member for: 16 years 6 months

Postby nostromo on Mon 28/Mar/11 12:42pm

nostromo
":-("
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Cars | Motoring | Sifting - Latest Posts