Timaru Criteriums

Postby Fergie on Sun 27/Dec/09 12:05am

Despite pretty small field the racing was full on around the hilly circuit on the streets of Timaru. Dylan Kennett won the U17 race from George Tutton and Tayla Harrison. The A grade elite race over 45min started full on with NZ track riders Shane Archbold and Marc Ryan hitting the gas from the outset. They raced out to a 30sec while Tour of Southland winner and US based Pro Heath Blackgrove stayed covered in the bunch. After the first sprint Blackgrove launched from the bunch and looked to be gaining on the leading duo. He got to within 8 seconds but started losing ground again. But then upfront Ryan slid out on a corner and took the unusual approach of jumping straight back on when Blackgrove caught him rather than take a lap out. This pair was worked hard and captured Archbold and proceeded to lap the field with Jason Christie the last rider to be caught. This group of four scattered the rest of the field and headed towards the sprint when Blackgrove crashed hard through the same corner as Ryan. Like a consummate Pro he was back on and despite having clearly hurt his arm keep driving the pace. As the riders headed towards the bell Ryan launched a decisive attack and powered away to the win with the injured Blackgrove holding off Archbold. Jason Christie came in 4th at 1 lap and U19 rider Andy Van der Hayden came in 5th 2 laps down. In the B grade event Nicole Begg was upfront for the majority of the race and tried a solo move in the final laps but in the end the track speed of Worlds Medallist Lauren Ellis saw her take 1st woman rider of the day.
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Re: Timaru Criteriums

Postby Gordio on Sun 27/Dec/09 5:15am

Interesting that Dream and Huck are taking risks and crashing this close to Nationals, I can understand that Dream wants to win his home crit.. but crashing? when there's only 2 or 3 of them in the front in what is really a local race? Thats not the actions of guys that really wanna be national Champions (But thats just my opinion, don't shoot me for it).
Gordio
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby Oli on Sun 27/Dec/09 7:23am

Perhaps they didn't mean to crash? :eh:
Oli
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby Fergie on Sun 27/Dec/09 8:00am

Perhaps just two exponents of the sport who always come to "race". I don't ever recall Gordy sandbagging in a race. Marc just slid out but Heath went down hard but showed true Professionalism when he could have pulled the pin but clearly in some pain got back in. Same toughness I am expecting from a guy that isn't being talked up a lot for Elites but when you look at the stats should never be counted out!
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."

Postby Sprintfan on Sun 27/Dec/09 12:16pm

One big thing though Gordio which of course you wouldn't know about but yesterday's crit was run for the first time for a big cup in the name of Marc's recently departed grandad whowas a top cyclist as well. He would have walked over hot coals to win yesterday and it showed in his victory salute. He didn't even think about taking a lap out from the race. Straight back on his bike and back into it even though it cost him half a lap. That's the thing with you elite guys. The way you can Focus on things.
Sprintfan
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby Gordio on Sun 27/Dec/09 1:30pm

Fair dues...as I said...don't shoot me for it...I submit...you guys win
Gordio
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby elpo on Sun 27/Dec/09 1:32pm

The grades were down on numbers not even enough to run C grade on there own, only 3 starters.
I believe its the last time that course is going to be used.
elpo
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Postby Fergie on Sun 27/Dec/09 1:38pm

Yeah, pity gnarly wee circuit. Although some of us know it's always Boxing Day it should be advertised a bit more widely!
Fergie

Postby skaterbill on Sun 27/Dec/09 10:48pm

Hi Guys,

A very tricky course, but great to see Marc & Heath give it everything & put the hurts on themselves & not just the opposition, great pro riders who always put on a good show, when back home in South Canterbury, Heath really hurt himself, but comming from the little off track town ot Wiamate, he is possiblly the most under rated of all the top Kiwi Riders.

But 50 riders line up every Monday for racing in Waimate, Heath , Andy Vandenheyden, Eli & Hollie Edmonston & new Hotshot Dillon Kennett are all from Waimate area, so some real talent there.

Bill
skaterbill
Member for: 9 years 9 months

Cycling | Middle South Island | New Zealand | Regions | Road Cycling | Road Racing | South Canterbury | Timaru - Latest Posts