Riding With Your Wife

Postby Dunnersdan on Mon 14/Dec/09 7:16am

Link to original article: http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/Bikedan/ ... -wife.html
Sourced from RSS Feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/bikedan
Original Published: 7:04am Monday, 14th December 2009 - NZST
Dunnersdan
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Re: Riding With Your Wife

Postby Dunnersdan on Mon 14/Dec/09 3:42pm

Seems like there is alot of interest in this topic! Please feel free to comment/discuss about your own experiences. There are tips and photographs on my blog site. The link is fine to click through, sorry that the article plus photographs cannot be published in is entirety directly here. Here is an excerpt of the first paragraph:

I thought this would be a good post to write as I feel its pertinent to involve your wife (or girl-friend) in your cycling adventures, as long as she is a willing partner and enjoys the challenge of bike riding. Sometime ago I read a blog article on Riding with your Wife by Wade Wallace from Melbourne, Australia. I thought it contained excellent advice and my wife found it particularly amusing that she could not stop laughing! During our recent ride up to Wulai, some of the advice was taken on-board.

To continue reading for the tips and photos please click on the link: http://bit.ly/6mtwp5

Cheers!
Dunnersdan
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Postby psychavoc on Mon 14/Dec/09 3:54pm

Getting into cycling to spend time with my husband (then boyfriend) was the best thing I ever did. Ever. :cool: Funnily enough, I now spend more time riding by myself or with friends than with him, but it's great having such an awesome common interest :)
psychavoc
"www.celiaridesbikes.com"
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Postby nagem on Mon 14/Dec/09 4:04pm

I ride with my boy. Once upon a time I was and still am a roadie but he wasn't interested. He likes motorbikes though so we both thought we would meet in the middle and try mountain biking. It'll give us a common interest once the kids leave home.
nagem
"Some days gnawing through the leather straps just doesn't seem worthwhile."
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby Al_Bushman on Mon 14/Dec/09 4:07pm

I had a good read Dan and it was a good article. :) Me and the Mrs have been riding together for years and you're absolutely correct, you do need to stay together as otherwise what's the point?

When riding with her if someone passed us when going up the hill, if I had the inclination to chase that person then I had her permission to do so, with the caveat that I'd always wait for her at the top.

It's only in the last two with kids etc we've gone our separate ways bike-wise but that will change when the kids are old enough to ride themselves :)
Al_Bushman
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby e3xtc on Wed 16/Dec/09 2:17pm

I managed to convince my lady that she should get a roadie and come along with me; after literally having to learn to ride a bike (she never owned one or rode one at all while growing up), she even entered and completed a solo circuit of Taupo!! Bike has not been touched since Taupo - 2 years ago :eh:
:lol:
e3xtc
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby the-right-to-evolve on Wed 16/Dec/09 5:36pm

oh i got the wrong impression after reading the title for this thread. :blink:

my ex gf only rode my bike to the dairy and the whole time she complained. i see riding my bike as an excuse to escape them for a bit.
the-right-to-evolve
"Language is the liquid that we're all dissolved in, great for solving problems after it creates them."
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby jacks0n0 on Wed 16/Dec/09 6:14pm

The best way to ride with someone of differing speed has got to be to use at tandem. You get up the hills at the same time and you both have fun together down the other side. You are riding as a team.

The team thing is very important. On a tandem the goal is to get the whole team to have a good experience, and the whole team is involved with all decisions. The captain has to lose the attitude that they are "taking the stoker for a ride". Instead you are going for a ride together. If the captain/stoker wants to ride down something steep or so far that it frightens the stoker/captain too much, then the team is not yet good enough to ride it. The team can improve if the captain improves the smoothness of the ride (so it is not so scary) or if either team member becomes braver or improves their fitness.

I'm rambling but the point is that once you see yourself and your partner as a single riding entity, you'll be able to have a harmonious tandeming experience.
jacks0n0
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby shmoodiver on Wed 16/Dec/09 6:22pm

I met my sweetness through cycling and we ride together regularly, she owns me on the road and i'm faster on the mtb (down a hill)
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby Gordio on Wed 16/Dec/09 6:38pm

I ride with the beautiful Pamela 2-3 times a week, however unlike DunnersDan I'm not so nice, I yell at her alot (she yells back) and tell her to tuffen the f543k up.

This usually leads to her not talking the Peoples Champion for long periods of time.. however normal service is normally resumed when she wins a race (she's won 8 this year on the road)..
Gordio
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby Chickenman on Wed 16/Dec/09 6:40pm

Gordio wrote:I ride with the beautiful Pamela 2-3 times a week, however unlike DunnersDan I'm not so nice, I yell at her alot (she yells back) and tell her to tuffen the f543k up.

This usually leads to her not talking the Peoples Champion for long periods of time.. however normal service is normally resumed when she wins a race (she's won 8 this year on the road)..

No gifts eh!
Chickenman
Member for: 17 years 6 months

Postby Gordio on Wed 16/Dec/09 6:53pm

I'm probably Tougher on the wife than I am on my clients, she's a tough bugger tho..dosent mind living in the pain cave if it means getting good results.

hahah she'd have to be a tough bugger to be married to me! I'm a nightmare
Gordio
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby zombie on Thu 17/Dec/09 1:13pm

Barbsarama wrote:Pre baby I trained loads with hubby, was good - pushed me as he was slightly (well he'd say loads) faster
Now post baby, I ride, he stays home :satan:
He still rides but can't go on any long rides... that's me :)

That's worse than being kicked in the balls :D
zombie
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Postby RHR_Rob on Thu 17/Dec/09 1:35pm

Chickenman wrote:
Gordio wrote:I ride with the beautiful Pamela 2-3 times a week, however unlike DunnersDan I'm not so nice, I yell at her alot (she yells back) and tell her to tuffen the f543k up.

No gifts eh!

Treat em mean, keep em keen......
RHR_Rob
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby surlyboy on Thu 17/Dec/09 9:30pm

Just started riding with my wife again after along time not (5years) shes slow as but working back up to some good speed now.
Just got her a road bike so she should go a little better again. When riding up hill I find doing reps like spinning up the road ahead say 1km or so and then turning around and going back down to meet her for a quick catch up then spinning up the road again then when im want a rest just hang back with her till the top or until im rested. she does'nt seem to mind. beside shes working so hard she cant spaek on the way up anyway so conversation is very one sided. :love:
surlyboy
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Cycling | Daniel Carruthers | North America | Regions | Road Cycling | Road Racing | United States of America | Vogs - Latest Posts