Marathon Recommendations

Postby 84millsy on Wed 2/Dec/09 9:31pm

I've been getting back into running again after a long hiatus due to injury, and the bug has bitten twice as hard.

Are there any marathons people recommend out there? I have chosen to not look at running at all the last year to make sure I don't come back to early, but now have very little idea what is avaiable.

Looking at doing the Buller as my first return, and there is obviously the Christchurch SBS, but really like trail running, especially with big nasty, rocky, grinding hilly terrain. Doesn't matter where in the country, travel and camping is part of the fun.

Any runs people know of?
84millsy
""As I enter my late twenties, the world should make marginally more sense, contain far more meaning and be slightly less depressing. I'm interested in the production of belief and, unable to reconcile myself to the notion I'll find fulfilment in 'career paths', prime time television or petty romance, I've chosen to believe in cycling" - Dr Ianto Ware"
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Re: Marathon Recommendations

Postby Claude on Thu 3/Dec/09 10:00pm

Gidday Chad - Buller's a good one, I did the full marathon 3 times & the half 6 before my knees packed up a couple of years ago and I switched to the bike. It's well organised, the rolling hills and the heat (the locals say it never rains on marathon day - and they're usually right, and it's a bit muggier over there than CHCH) make it a bit tough, but train properly and you'll handle it. Best part is the afterrace do and the pubs up the main street are are chocker at night too. Makes the rehydration more enjoyable :p .

There's usually an off road run from Blackball over the Croseus track sometime early in the new year too, meant to be a good hard one, but I don't think they get huge fields.

Cheers
Claude
Member for: 8 years 6 months

Postby 1scotty1 on Fri 4/Dec/09 8:20am

Its the wrong end of the season.Off road you have just missed the H50 along the Heaphy. And the Kauri run in coromandel and the Kepler in the big island and The Goat at Turoa.
Look at the Kaweka Challenge in hawkes Bay in february.
The Tussock traverse in January is 25km in Tongariro Nat Park is stunning.
The Tarawera Ultra is coming up in BOP. Longer distance but I believe you can run sections.
Taupo has two off road halfs. Try the Mizuno half marathon website for a link.
There is the cape Kidnappers race. think it has a marathon option.
Dont know if the St James Ultra is running again next year. Great event.
There is a Goat run in the big island but I dont recall where. The Goat at turoa is a great event.
Arrowsmith off road marathon. Top of the big island in march. Has a mtb option. multisportevents.co.nz
Mt Lyford challenge. Not a marathon but as tough as.

Post on Sportzhub or check their calendar. That should get better results than vorb
1scotty1
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby PhilterNZ on Fri 4/Dec/09 1:51pm

Nelson events has some info on the Blackball

http://www.nelsonevents.co.nz/

I am looking at the Tussock Traverse myself - looks to be a fun run, but longer than I have done off road before.

from a road perspective Rotorua has to be considered if you are happy to travel, it is an iconic marathon and "enjoyable", I have only done one marathon and it was Rotorua, looking at thr SBS next year if I can get off my lazy ass.
PhilterNZ
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby Claude on Mon 7/Dec/09 9:20pm

Gidday again Chad, I thought of another off road run that's meant to be a good one. Motatapu, in March, down Queenstown way & goes through Shania Twains property.

Also check out www.coolrunning.co.nz. It has a good calendar for events throughout the country (all types of stuff). There's a forum on it too, the traffic through it is pretty sparse nowdays though, but if you posted anything on it you're bound to get a reply of sense.

Cheers
Steve
Claude
Member for: 8 years 6 months

Postby 84millsy on Tue 8/Dec/09 9:58am

Cheers all.

I've decided to aim for the 2011 Coast to Coast, so will need a couple grinding runs to get me into race pace. Will definately look at the Queenstown race Claude. Sounds exactly what I am looking for.
84millsy
""As I enter my late twenties, the world should make marginally more sense, contain far more meaning and be slightly less depressing. I'm interested in the production of belief and, unable to reconcile myself to the notion I'll find fulfilment in 'career paths', prime time television or petty romance, I've chosen to believe in cycling" - Dr Ianto Ware"
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Postby BarefootCHCH on Tue 8/Dec/09 10:05am

Chad - welcome back to the darkside! I'm back into running after my foray into cycling - you just missed an awesome 21km mountain run at the Moa Hunt which is a great one to add to your calendar. There are tons of races - Buller is a great run, and SBS is very quick. PM me if you want to catch up for a run or a ride as some stage. Cheers Paul
BarefootCHCH
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Marathons | Running - Latest Posts