A Big Piece Of Rock Off Sh 1 And The Sh 30 Junction

Postby ghallam on Wed 18/Nov/09 2:05pm

whilst on the way back south from the coromandel i noticed a big piece of rock of what looked like volcanic nature on the RHS heading back towards taupo....its about 40 km north of taupo surrounded by exotic trees....

has anyone got any clues to what this big lump is....

from a distance there looks like a lot of clean lines, walls and smart aretes.... :)

as i'm not native i could have the cart way before the horse and missed something completely obvious....

g
ghallam
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Re: A Big Piece Of Rock Off Sh 1 And The Sh 30 Junction

Postby johnL on Wed 18/Nov/09 2:21pm

just after the Waikato river crosses? It was covered in Radiata but felled a few years ago. There is a walking track to the top of it. I have collected radiata samples from the top of it
but I didint see what the rock was
johnL
"2x Trust House Tour of Wellington Winner, DS Team Cardno"
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Postby ghallam on Wed 18/Nov/09 2:41pm

yeah thats the one.....any ideas what the rock quality was like? do you know what the name of the mount is?

g
ghallam
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Postby Toko on Wed 18/Nov/09 2:51pm

If that's the one I'm thinking of it is historically significant for local Maori.

When the local tribe was attacked/wiped out that was their final stronghold. Up on top there are meant to be fortifications and stuff.

Not saying you can't climb it, but I don't think they would appreciate bolted routes being put in
Toko
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby scatter on Wed 18/Nov/09 2:56pm

Mt Pohaturoa.

It's rhyolite....and that's all I can tell you about it.

Historically it never had cover, so when pines were planted on it, it was taken as an affront.
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby ryda on Wed 18/Nov/09 3:27pm

the lump in the background ?
DSC02645sm.jpg
ryda
"WTF"
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby ryda on Wed 18/Nov/09 3:29pm

south waikato district council wrote:Mt Pohaturoa

Towering 240 metres over the river is Mt Pohaturoa (520m), which features prominently in both Arawa and Ngati Raukawa tradition. The rock, which served as a lookout post during inter-tribal conflicts, was the scene of many a prolonged siege. One such siege took place several centuries ago when invading Ngati Raukawa forced Ngati Kahupungapunga (possibly a surviving Moahunter tribe) to retreat to this, their final stronghold. Lack of food finally forced the defenders to abandon their refuge and only five escaped with their lives. The cause of the conflict is said to have been the murder of a Ngati Raukawa woman who had been given in marriage to a chief of Ngati Kahupungapunga.

Early paintings show the rock and its surrounds as almost completely devoid of cover. The pine trees date from 1927 and have been a source of controversy as an unwarranted intrusion upon the tapu (sanctity) of the rock. The rock overlooks a lake formed by the Atiamuri hydro-electric power station.
http://www.swktodc.govt.nz/district/dis ... aimuri.asp
ryda
"WTF"
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Climbing - Latest Posts