Makara Peak - Wednesday Evening (18th Nov) Plant Releasing

Postby damselfly on Mon 16/Nov/09 9:01am

Come and give a helping hand this Wednesday evening to make sure recently planted trees and shrubs are able to outgrow the grass and weeds. We'll be weeding and mulching from the carpark south down Karori Stream.

This is the main entrance to the park and it would be great to ensure a future lush growth of diverse vegitation for the tui, wood pigeon, fantails and the odd kaka for mountain bikers to start their rides through.

Meet at the main carpark on South Karori Rd.

From 5pm and finishing up around 7pm with a snack and drink.

Plenty of time for a ride now the evenings are getting longer.

Gloves and any tools are provided.

Spend 10 minutes or the full 2 hours, any help appreciated. Wander on down and keep an eye out for us if showing up later.

Call or text me (Karl) on 021 264 4085 if weather looks dodgy. :thumbsup:
damselfly
Member for: 7 years 11 months

Re: Makara Peak - Wednesday Evening (18th Nov) Plant Releasing

Postby damselfly on Wed 18/Nov/09 8:27am

Weather seems quite rubbish this morning, but is apparently looking better this afternoon. Tomorrow is looking much better, so keep an eye out on the MP website http://www.makarapeak.org/forum?mode=MessageList&eid=244954 or text/call me if weather's still iffy as I may postpone to tomorrow evening.

Cheers, Karl
damselfly

Postby damselfly on Wed 18/Nov/09 2:42pm

Now that it's rained it's perfect weather for some weed pulling!

5pm untill 7pm followed by a snack and drink! Meet at the main car park or wander on down beside the stream and you'll bump into us.
damselfly

Postby sifter on Wed 18/Nov/09 3:52pm

Cool - aiming to make it down for a bit with Kaitlyn :)
sifter
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby damselfly on Wed 18/Nov/09 9:21pm

Thanks to Simon, Andrew, Don and Mark who stopped by on his ride and now has orange hands (and mulched plants) to show for his work. The grass was long and had hidden many of the plants, but hopefully they'll be enjoying their new found freedom.

Keep an eye out in The Dominion Post's Green Page's for a write up on the conservation work at Makara Peak. Next releasing party is on Wednesday 2nd December on Ridgeline coordinated by Andrew.

If you're enjoying riding through the native bush or admiring the views over the flaxes from the summit and you haven't made a releasing party before it would be great to see you. It's not hard work, just takes time which fly's by with the good company that show up.
damselfly

Postby damselfly on Wed 18/Nov/09 9:25pm

sifter wrote:Cool - aiming to make it down for a bit with Kaitlyn :)

Grrr, I was hoping you'd be there for the photography posing. Managed to get Andrew in front (hopefully blocking me) while Don and Simon had disappeared somewhere...
damselfly

Postby sifter on Wed 18/Nov/09 10:16pm

damselfly wrote:
sifter wrote:Cool - aiming to make it down for a bit with Kaitlyn :)

Grrr, I was hoping you'd be there for the photography posing. Managed to get Andrew in front (hopefully blocking me) while Don and Simon had disappeared somewhere...

Sorry... :( By the time the evening came round, neither of us were really feeling up to it...
sifter
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Cycling | Lower North Island | Makara Peak | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Running | Trail Running | Wellington | Wellington Region - Latest Posts