What Is A Safe & Effective Brand Of Sunscreen?

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Sat 14/Nov/09 10:32pm

With all this talk of cancer causing sunscreen what is an effective brand that isn't damaging to one's largest organ?
Alison Roe had a good one product out years ago but I didn't know the name of it.
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Re: What Is A Safe & Effective Brand Of Sunscreen?

Postby Monolith on Sat 14/Nov/09 10:34pm

FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:With all this talk of cancer causing sunscreen

I personally don't think cancer causes sunscreen.
Monolith
"Look! I still walk away"
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby RussS on Sat 14/Nov/09 10:36pm

Personally, I keep my organ in my pants on sunny days so I am not that worried about getting it sunburned.
RussS
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Sat 14/Nov/09 10:40pm

:p NIce to know there are two humourist about late Saturday night.
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby wuffy on Sat 14/Nov/09 10:51pm

FLATULENTFRIEND wrote::p NIce to know there are two humourist about late Saturday night.

You walked right into those.
wuffy
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Postby Roma on Sun 15/Nov/09 8:09am

I use Dr Hauschka's Suncreen for Children (SPF30). Pricey compared to some but it works very well and doesn't have any stuff like propylene glycol, parabens or chemical fragrances, colours or preservatives. The majorities of the ingredients are plant based.
Roma
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Postby iodi on Sun 15/Nov/09 8:47am

I use Neutrogena Ultra Sheer. It has high SPF (55, 70, 85+), is sweat proof, and non-greasy - so it is great for biking on hot summer days.

Apparently it is available from places called Supermarkets, but mine magically appears in the cupboard so I wouldn't know anything about that.
iodi
"I like dolphins"
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Postby nzmatto on Sun 15/Nov/09 8:50am

iodi wrote:I use Neutrogena Ultra Sheer. It has high SPF (55, 70, 85+), is sweat proof, and non-greasy - so it is great for biking on hot summer days.

Apparently it is available from places called Supermarkets, but mine magically appears in the cupboard so I wouldn't know anything about that.

I brought the same stuff a couple of weeks back, recommended for sport use by the chemist who sold it to me, I went for the waterproof, sweatproof one. The only things she said was that to be effective it must be applied before you start sweating. SPF70. Seems to be pretty good because I have not seen the sun since buying it. :D
nzmatto
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby cooper770 on Sun 15/Nov/09 10:12am

I just got a nuetrogena brand endorsed by the cancer society, its SPF30 but handy as its in a small roll on type bottle. So it fits handily in the shirt pocket and its easily to apply. Got it in the supermarket. Its 2 hour water resistant and sweat proof. Cost about $12.00
cooper770
"Enjoy the sandpit Kids, some of us have left Kindy."
Member for: 8 years 2 months

Postby Spokes on Sun 15/Nov/09 10:14am

Meh, its all a conspiracy to make everybody smear cream over themselves.

Dont believe the hype.
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby znomit on Sun 15/Nov/09 10:23am

cooper770 wrote:I just got a nuetrogena brand endorsed by the cancer society, its SPF30 but handy as its in a small roll on type bottle. So it fits handily in the shirt pocket and its easily to apply. Got it in the supermarket. Its 2 hour water resistant and sweat proof. Cost about $12.00

The roll-on is the only stuff you can easily re-apply while riding so good for the longer days. :thumbsup:
znomit
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby Wills27 on Sun 15/Nov/09 10:33am

iodi wrote:I use Neutrogena Ultra Sheer. It has high SPF (55, 70, 85+), is sweat proof, and non-greasy - so it is great for biking on hot summer days.

Agreed Best sunscree. Light,lasts for ages and has worked everytime.
Wills27
Member for: 10 years 0 months

Postby turbopete on Sun 15/Nov/09 10:49am

Get the cancer society one, that way if you get cancer they'll sort you out
turbopete
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby happybaboon on Sun 15/Nov/09 8:24pm

Cancer society sunscreen works fine, just fine. But I'm blessed with skin that doesn't burn too readily, so any old stuff will keep me from frying. I like how the cancer society stuff comes in a big pump bottle for cheap :)
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby chuckie34 on Sun 15/Nov/09 8:37pm

For me, who one time going up a hill thought my camelbak was leaking because there was a stream of water coming off the drinking hose only to find it was me sweating, having a sweatproof sunscreen is essential. Coppertone sport spf30 ultra sweatproof does the trick. Those who remember last years scorching heat around taupo, I applied once about an hour before the start and that was it for the whole day, I'm a 7½hour guy too. Not even a hint of sunburn. Its not cheap but worth it.
:cool:
For general days down the beach, the cancer society stuff does the trick perfectly.
chuckie34
"I had an idea - - - - -"
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Health | Sifting - Latest Posts