Giant Tcr Or Defy ?

Postby UK_Exile on Tue 10/Nov/09 9:36pm

Situation is 16yr old XC MTB racer wanting to buy a road bike to do some road training, and perhaps a little bit of road racing. Main reason for purchase is so that isn't constantly riding and wearing out the Giant Athem MTB. Looking at getting a 2010 Giant TCR or a Defy but unsure about which frame is most suitable given 1) age and 2) what it's for.
The TCR is performance competition geometry and the Defy is the endurance geometry. Price for equiv model is the identical. Any thoughts ? Two people we're spoken to have recommended opposites !
Last edited by UK_Exile on Tue 10/Nov/09 9:47pm, edited 1 time in total.
UK_Exile
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Re: Giant Tcr Or Defy ?

Postby Joel on Tue 10/Nov/09 9:46pm

TCR is more aggresive road geo, Defy more the so called All day geo.

personally i would say go TCR, your not old enough to have the aches and pains that make you want the more upright position of the Defy.

but what ever you decide, both good bikes.
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 17 years 11 months

Postby Chickenman on Tue 10/Nov/09 9:48pm

Either or will be fine.

However being as they are only 16 years old will have the flexibility to ride a TCR comfortably, and won't 'outgrow' the more recreational geometry of the Defy.

my 2c
Chickenman
Member for: 17 years 8 months

Postby ThingOne on Tue 10/Nov/09 9:49pm

Everyone will have different opinions,
I have raced the TCR and liked it, the bike handles well, if your son wants to race get the more race orientated geometry.
I havent ridden a Defy, and dont recall having seem anyone racing one, but seen plenty of TCRS.
ThingOne
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Postby UK_Exile on Tue 10/Nov/09 9:58pm

He's never ridden a road bike so test rides to confirm which 'feels' best won't be possible as both will feel 'abnormal'.
I think the Defy used to be called OCR ?
UK_Exile

Postby Joel on Tue 10/Nov/09 10:11pm

yep.

if he is into XC racing, i would suggest TCR is going to the best match for him.
Joel
"Style over speed"

Postby Monolith on Tue 10/Nov/09 10:16pm

I have a 2010 TCR and really like it. I'm not all that young and can still handle long rides with no worries, so don't miss the "endurance" fit of the Defy.
Monolith
"Look! I still walk away"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby Oli on Tue 10/Nov/09 10:24pm

Another vote for the TCR - if it fits him he'll be fine, he doesn't need what is effectively old man's geometry.
Oli
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby ThingOne on Wed 11/Nov/09 7:28am

Ah.. Defy = OCR

Yep definetly go the TCR.
ThingOne
"www.bushloveracing.com"

Postby UK_Exile on Wed 11/Nov/09 8:13am

So the Defy's are for over 50's ?
Or for 4hrs plus rides ?
UK_Exile

Postby ThingOne on Wed 11/Nov/09 8:39am

UK_Exile wrote:So the Defy's are for over 50's ?
Or for 4hrs plus rides ?

Nope, just a more relaxed riding style, I have ridden a Scott Addict for 15 Hours straight and that bikes as about aggressive as they come, so the TCR would be fine assuming your son doesnt suffer from back problems or anything.

Your son sounds like he enjoys racing, so I would get the TCR, I guarantee if you bought the Defy after a year and once he understands more about road bikes he will complain and ask why you didnt buy the TCR, so head that one off at the pass now.
ThingOne
"www.bushloveracing.com"

Postby Joel on Wed 11/Nov/09 8:43am

Defy is for riders whom like a more upright position, typically this is older riders, noobs etc. nothing wrong with the bikes.. and they can quite likely be raced to good affect.. after all it is the riders legs that provide the result. but if your son is into racing, it is a bike more likely that y our son would out grow from a fit for purpose perspective.

TCR's are really good bikes. i used to have a OCR many many years ago as a road training bike (when i was more into XC riding).. and i flicked it after six months as the geo annoyed me.. and i found i could make the frame flex quite easily, granted that is any issue they have probably addressed now.

like anything. depends on what he intends to do. training + racing = TCR, training a little bit = DEFY/OCR
Joel
"Style over speed"

Postby Oli on Wed 11/Nov/09 8:45am

My "old man's geometry" was a bit flip, but that's essentially the purpose of the higher head tube and more relaxed angles of the Defy - to assist those of us less flexible and/or unwilling to adopt a more racy position. It's almost a touring position on a racing style bicycle. Your son is young and flexible and the high front end is totally unnecessary, I would think.
Oli
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby Joel on Wed 11/Nov/09 8:56am

real question is which model in the TCR range.

these are awesome. TCR Advanced SL
lurvely giant.jpg
Joel
"Style over speed"

Postby Conners on Wed 11/Nov/09 9:08am

Another vote for the TCR. I went through exactly the same decision when I bought my first roadie about three years ago (after being on a mountainbike for 10 odd years). Went with the TCR and I'm still loving it. People described the TCR as being more twitchy as a race oriented bike, but I've never found this to be an issue.
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 16 years 7 months

Cycling | Road Cycling - Latest Posts