Gone And Done It Again!! Imnz 2010.

Postby slidecontrol on Fri 30/Oct/09 3:29pm

09 was going to be my swansong in IM racing, the milage, the training, the tiredness and the expense. I figured with 3 finishers t-shirts in the drawer, there wasn't a lot left to prove to myself over the 140.6 mile course. That was until I got my race ever so slightly wrong for '09 and spent some time heaving my stomach contents up during the run. :hmmm:

after the mandatory post race layoff ( and a 4 month battle with the flu/lung infection ) the bug slowly crept back under my skin.
can I go faster? ( I can go faster :sneaky: )
so, for the sake of saving 70 bucks odd, I have put my entry in before the late fee kicks in. ( what a tightarse )

not sure how I'm going to do it, but this time round just finishing isn't going to cut it, been there done that. I need to find more.
more speed, more endurance, more guts. ( not the guts I left on the road side last summer though )

march is coming, watch this space.
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Re: Gone And Done It Again!! Imnz 2010.

Postby Oli on Fri 30/Oct/09 10:29pm

Good stuff! :thumbsup:
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Lynskey on Fri 30/Oct/09 10:45pm

Hahaha wicked man, I'm doing Tauranga (my first half) this January. Where're you based?
Lynskey
"Ah yes the tossers certainly come out late at night.."
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby slidecontrol on Sat 31/Oct/09 9:10am

cheers Oli,

I'm stuck in Hamilton more or less, plenty of good riding here though. Let us know your race number for TGA Lynskey,although not racing I'm almost always over there for a watch.
slidecontrol

Postby tricks121 on Tue 17/Nov/09 11:02am

I'm in too, looking forward to gaining that World Champs spot this year though ... trouble is ... I need to rest now as I'm hammered and I keep getting told off that I am doing too much milage and should change to intensity, which I want to do, but my brain says milage needed ... gaarrrr :sly:

Gonna be fun though, lookign forward to the IronMaori on 5 December in Napier too... more fun times.

bring on 6 March!!
tricks121
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby slidecontrol on Sun 3/Jan/10 6:39pm

well, heres the new year, 2 months out from the bug dog and time to hit the high gear on the training.
last year ended well, finally scored the top spot in the Jr clydsdale division at the vegas half ( cheers for being somewhere else Cyclenutnz :paranoid: ) and made it to 3rd in AG at the surfbreaker.

my hill climbing strength on the bike is still suspect though so I'll be working on that ( n-duro summer series on the SS should help )

how did the ironmaori go tricks?

whats your race number for next week Lynskey?
slidecontrol

Postby Lynskey on Sun 3/Jan/10 8:28pm

# 61 slidey

I will be wearing a blue Stroke & Stride tri top :)
Lynskey
"Ah yes the tossers certainly come out late at night.."
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby sixdog on Mon 4/Jan/10 10:25am

Go hard slidey nice to see you lining up again.
sixdog
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Postby tricks121 on Tue 5/Jan/10 3:39pm

Well, lets say I learnt some VALUABLE lessons about tyre checks the night before not on race morning.

Took out the 404's and as it had tub's trusted they will be fine and only pumped up in the morning, the valve extender wasn't working ... time to freak.

Very long story short, took it to the Avanti guys who did their best, they got some air in and so i thought, what the hell, fingers corssed.

Swim - 31mins including transition.the lead lady was about 3.5mins in front of me

Got on the bike and randoms were over taking me and I couldn't figure out why, turns out I had a flat tyre. I pulled over about 5 mins into the race and had a tanty and got the marshalls to call the avanti guys, they must have known it was me as they said they didn't know what they could do and it felt like it took them an eternity to get there and get out of the car.

I started to take the tub off so I could pull the valve out and have a looky, turns out a plastic over was left on the extender and when i took the extender off to let a little air out first, regular practice of mine, the plastuc thing stayed over the valve so no air could go in.

The tyre still wouldn't go up properly when we got the extender back on so i think I would have been lucky to have 70-80psi on the tyre but whatever, my race was pretty much over so just get on with it.

Well it wasn't i hammered it, still rode a 3.06 even with all the faffing about (we estimate 16-18mins) and wasting time with the flat. Was 80 something and pulled it back to 20 something overall.

Caught up to the 5th and 6th placed ladies by the 50km mark, oh, did I mention that my speedo wasn't working either so I had no idea how far I had gone, the speed I was doing etc etc ...

Managed to catch the 2nd place lady at some stage - though I thought she was 3rd so didn't even think about it.

Couldn't catch the winner, she did a 5.03, I did a 5.21 which is still a 22min PB and I ran my 21km in about 1.42 so good run considering the hammering on the bike and the MAJOR time wastage on the first lap with very painful random tummy issues and issues breathing.

Won the open grade and have the COOLEST trophy and a 2nd place is AWESOME when I thought the race was done!

So yeah, there's my Ironmaori race!!
tricks121

Postby slidecontrol on Tue 5/Jan/10 4:43pm

bugger about the mechanicals, but awesome result though :thumbsup:
slidecontrol

Postby Oli on Tue 5/Jan/10 6:38pm

Good stuff, Tricks! Triumph over adversity! :thumbsup:
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby tricks121 on Mon 11/Jan/10 8:53pm

So now I just have to get that Kona spot and my achievements will be done, finsh that race and 2010 will be a big Ironman tick!

Then I'll be hanging my IM shoes up for about 9 months then straight back into it!!! ;)

Now, gotta stop crashing so I stop hampering my training!
tricks121

Postby slidecontrol on Mon 18/Jan/10 9:34pm

in the pursuit of some extra speed ( hopefully not too little too late) I went and had an intensive session in the pool with a coach.

He took my stroke, tore it apart and rebuilt it, bit by bit. No idea what the seed increase is or might be, but by the end we had the endless pool running a bit quicker than at the start. so nxt mission is to hit the 25m pool and start ingraining things. fortunately the changes are quite radical, so I can tell the difference somewhat from my old stroke.

I kept an eye out but wasn't able to spot you at TGA Lynskey, hope your day went to plan for ya :thumbsup:
slidecontrol

Postby slidecontrol on Wed 10/Feb/10 9:48am

3 weeks to go, everyone feeling good yet?
slidecontrol

Postby tricks121 on Wed 10/Feb/10 1:03pm

I'm feeling arse - I'm too shit scared to ride my bike fast, especially round corners to the right and I'm shit scared to go down hill fast ... eeeekkkk

How does one try to qualify for Kona when she can't ride her bike!!! :crazy:

race number is 445 BTW - sigh, at least it's mainly flat and not too many right handers ...
tricks121

Multisport | Triathlons - Latest Posts