Calendar Event: February 7, 2010

Mtb Journey Feb 2010 Nelson To Picton Via D'urville

Postby nictvf on Thu 29/Oct/09 9:19pm

7-13 Feb 2010 - This is not an official organised event just a group of mates going for a ride.
The idea is for 6-9 soon to be friends to have a MTB journey from Nelson to Picton from 7-13 February 2010. We'll ride aound 40-50ks/day with a rest day and optional rest day. It's very much a summer holiday approach (not a race) with plenty of swimming and stops along the way. We'll stay in motels/holiday homes/backpackers (shared rooms). The best news is my Aunty, who lives in Nelson, has agreed to drive her car carrying our gear. How good is that :) A rough indication of cost for accommodation & water taxis would be around $350-$450. Food & Koha for Aunty will be additional.

The proposed route follows - page references relate to the Kennett Bros book. I'd appreciate any suggestions from the locals plus a good LBS just in case airnz damages our bikes. Also if anyone in Nelson would lend us a bike rack for the week that would be great.

The proposed route is:
Day 1 - Maungatapu Track from Nelson to Pelorus (pg 206). After a quick compulsory swim in the Pelorus river we'll head up to Rai Valley for the first night.
Day 2 - Tennyson Inlet then Archers Track to Elaine Bay (pg 214).
Day 3 - rest Day Elaine Bay There are options to Sea Kayak visit Maud Island Tui Nature reserve.
Day 4 - ride to French Pass then water taxi to D'Urville Island (p212)
Day 5 - D'Urville Island
Day 6 - Water Taxi to Titirangi bay ride the road to Kenepuru Saddle and either join the Queen Charlotte Track (p 216) or continue on the road to Portage.
Day 7 - QCT to Picton
Last edited by nictvf on Tue 16/Feb/10 9:40am, edited 2 times in total.
nictvf
Member for: 7 years 11 months

Re: Mtb Journey Feb 2010 Nelson To Picton Via D'urville

Postby Simonk on Thu 29/Oct/09 10:26pm

Sounds like a nice holiday in the making there (my whanau did something similar a few years ago). If you start early on the 7th, watch out for the Kiwi Brevet riders on the Maungatapu!
Simonk
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby wallyg on Tue 3/Nov/09 11:53am

sounds great will look into going.cheers wally
wallyg
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Postby wgtngrl on Tue 3/Nov/09 12:44pm

Sounds awesome! I highly recommend joining QCW (if allowed at that time of year) to get to Portage.
wgtngrl
User avatarMedal
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby mandy on Thu 12/Nov/09 9:23am

Sounds great Nicky! Think the last casual organised grp rides i did around those parts where when the locals organised the 'Fat tyre festival' maybe 7-8yrs ago... :thumbsup:

Are you thinking of riding the Puhoi marathon again this yr? I should make an effort and start training... If I dont see you in one of the local rides before then have an awesome trip in Feb!!
mandy
"Ready Set Go!"
Member for: 9 years 10 months

Cycling | Epic Riding | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts