24" Keewee Build Up

Postby Elbow on Tue 27/Oct/09 8:23pm

Hi,
I'm after a bit of advice about building an all purpose skate, park, trail for a tall 8yo using a good old Keewee stealth frame and a 24" DMR wheelset.
It will need a 8 or 9 speed derailleur?
I want it to function as a bike not a mashup?
ie good geo.
Help
BB?
Cranks?
Forks?
H/bars,stem?
Headset?
ta Tim
Elbow
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Re: 24" Keewee Build Up

Postby Dodgy_Matt on Tue 27/Oct/09 8:49pm

I have a good set of tyres for you!
Maxxis maxpro hookworms.... 24" x 2.5's new
Dodgy_Matt
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Postby Elbow on Wed 11/Nov/09 5:05pm

Project continues.

So far 15.5" frame,
Alex DMR 24' rims,
100mm manitou gold label jump 2,
probably will run holyrollers,
8 speed deore derailleur,

My 1st question is what crank length will be best to provide ground clearance but still give acceleration and power?

Q2, any recommendations regarding a bullet proof but reasonably priced headsets?

Q3, are the O.T.A. ones on Trademe any good?
ta Tim
Elbow

Postby isnowi on Wed 11/Nov/09 9:11pm

i have a 13.8" Giant acid on 24" tyres with Gold label fork, 170mm cranks, would not want to go any longer on the cranks as i have managed to drag a pedal a few times. These might be a good option: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=252142793 also 160 is probably kinder on the young fellas knees etc.
I built mine up as a nine speed then decided it was better as a SS.
isnowi
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby the-right-to-evolve on Wed 11/Nov/09 9:52pm

pig dh pro Ive had two and they're not too expensive considering how strong they are and how long they last...

if hes 8 are you sure hell be able to manage the weight of them gears at a skatepark etc? plus the derailleur i would expect would be low to the ground (due to the smaller wheels) and may catch the coping/rails...

avoid square drive cranks at all costs!!!!

they're nasty and stupid and break and round off and you swear and shout and look like a crazy person to pedestrians passing by. try some husslefelts or something similar to bmx cranks..

steel bars are a good option for park/street as they flex a bit more so you can absorb impact better although i doubt it will be noticeable with suspension forks.

short reach stem is best as the steering feels kinda odd otherwise, especially on a keewee.

but otherwise i would suggest trying a few different things over like a 3-5 week period to see whats most comfortable for him.

sweet :thumbsup:
the-right-to-evolve
"Language is the liquid that we're all dissolved in, great for solving problems after it creates them."
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Postby Elbow on Sun 15/Nov/09 8:55am

thanks for the replies ,think I'll look 4 some 160 cranks.
All the ones advertised are for BMX, i presume they're ok?
Elbow

Postby the-right-to-evolve on Mon 16/Nov/09 2:28pm

if you can use a bmx bb you should be fine.....id just get some new holes drilled into mtb cranks (higher up the crank obviously) and get your lbs to thread them it should be cheaper and easier ...
the-right-to-evolve
"Language is the liquid that we're all dissolved in, great for solving problems after it creates them."
Member for: 8 years 11 months

AKDH - Auckland Downhill | BMX Riding | Bicycle Repair | Clubs | Cycling | Dirt Jumping (BMX) | Dirt Jumping (MTB) | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts