Proposed Featherston-rimutaka Mountain Bike Trail

Postby Ewan on Fri 16/Oct/09 10:16pm

Hello!

The Wairarapa Multi Sport Club (http://www.wmsc.org.nz) are proposing to construct a mountain bike trail located in the Rimutaka hills (part of the Taurarua Forest Park) aproximately 4 kms south from Featherston and adjacent to SH2.

I have attached the proposal that I intend to submit to the Department of Conservation (DoC) late October 2009.
This proposal includes the suggested trail location and other relevant information.

Prior to the submission of this proposal to DoC I would first like to hear from interested individuals or groups who wish to support this proposal.
Any written support for this proposal will greatly improve the chances of a successful outcome with DoC.

As outlined in my proposal I believe the creation of this trail will be a positive step for the South Wairarapa community with more outdoor activity options for local residents and potentially increased tourism to the area.... not to mention a cool MTB trail for all!

Please review the attached proposal and submit your response by Wednesday 21 October.

Cheers

Ewan Baron
Featherston-Rimutaka Trail Development Manager
Wairarapa Multisport Club
PO Box 864, Masterton
ewanbaron@hotmail.com
Phone: 0274-96-00-98
Ewan
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Re: Proposed Featherston-rimutaka Mountain Bike Trail

Postby muddydave on Sun 18/Oct/09 4:51pm

bumpity bump
muddydave
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Postby Yogi on Sun 18/Oct/09 5:42pm

Looks interesting. Good luck with that guys. I've often glanced over that way whilst driving past.

A suggestion: you could make things a little clearer on the map. Objectives state that you're completing a loop but the map only shows a there and back. Are you proposing joining onto an existing track? Maybe add that on to the map so it shows the final outcome of the construction.

If this track is completing a loop, what's the total distance of the loop? A longer track could be marketed as more of a draw card as people from out of the area are more likely to make a special trip for a longer ride than a 30 minute blat.

Is there room for extension if this track proves to be popular?
Yogi

Postby TiHT on Sun 18/Oct/09 5:54pm

Any chance of linking up to Cross Creek one day?
TiHT
"cycle of life"
Member for: 9 years 1 month

Postby hickie on Sun 18/Oct/09 6:17pm

Yes, it does look good :D

More reasons to pop over the hill from time to time would not go amiss...
hickie
"I've got a singletrack mind..."
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby Ewan on Sun 18/Oct/09 10:12pm

Yeah the trail does a complete a loop. Basically the 4x4 access road will be the climb and the down hill will be single track. The 4x4 access road is a service road for all of the power pylons that you see on the ridge opposite the rimutaka hill road.
I beieve the potential for further trails is endless....just a matter of building them.

This trail doesn't link to the Incline trail. Cross creek and the Incline trail is about 5 kms south of this proposed trail.
Ewan

Postby tylersdad on Sun 18/Oct/09 10:35pm

5km ???? cross creek to featherston is 10km on the road. and this is a few km up the road fromfeatherston.

whats the chances of a farmland/lakefront trail from featherston to cross creek. i understand there is already some work being done at the head of the lake. this lakefront option would get more use than an uphill grunt on what the Kennets deem 'the steepest' hill climb in the region.

sorry, don't want to sound negative.
tylersdad
"Meh !!!!"
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby Oli on Sun 18/Oct/09 10:42pm

It is a heinous climb - I've done it back in the day and even though I was fit it was a major sufferfest. :crazy:
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Simonk on Mon 19/Oct/09 8:35am

The Rimutaka Pylon track would have to be the nastiest climb in the region - just rideable if you are in top form (I love it). My concern is that the singletrack proposed is even steeper! It breaks IMBA's 10% rule is spectacular fashion. Building it is the easy part - maintaining it is another story. If it descended the same altitude over 3 or 4 times the horizontal length proposed, I'd support it. As is, it looks like a skid-fest mega-rut in the making.
Simonk
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby YANKEEHOTELFOXTROT on Mon 19/Oct/09 9:05am

I agree. A sustainable trail makes alot more sense given the cost of building it.
FYI there is a plan forming to build something on the UH side of the pylon track at Camp Kaitoke. More soon on that.
Add to that a plan to build a track along the ridge from the behind the prison/Trentham Camp/UH to Maymorn.
Put it all together and you could ride from Wainuiomata to Featherston! How freakin cool would that be?!
Will certainly offer help in moving things along if it's all done in a sensible fashion.
YANKEEHOTELFOXTROT
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby iodi on Mon 19/Oct/09 9:25am

YANKEEHOTELFOXTROT wrote:FYI there is a plan forming to build something on the UH side of the pylon track at Camp Kaitoke. More soon on that.
Add to that a plan to build a track along the ridge from the behind the prison/Trentham Camp/UH to Maymorn.
Put it all together and you could ride from Wainuiomata to Featherston! How freakin cool would that be?!

Very cool indeed. Add in DOC's proposal for a biking track from Kaitoke to Eastbourne, and things get even better:
DOC wrote:...biking trail from Kaitoke though the Rimutaka Incline via Cross Creek, down Western Lake (Wairarapa) to Ocean Beach and Onoke Spit, then around Ocean Beach via Wharekauhau and Orongorongo Stations to Catchpool (Wainuiomata) and/or Eastbourne via Burdan's Gate.

(Though that was a while ago - I hope it is still going ahead.)
iodi
"I like dolphins"
Member for: 9 years 1 month

Postby Simonk on Mon 19/Oct/09 9:54am

Yep, iodi. DOC are still working on the Kaitoke to Eastbourne proposal. I reckon it's a contender for one of the NZ Great Rides.

Hadn't heard of the proposal to build a track down through Camp Kaitoke. Nice. That would be a major bonus for those looking for another decent day-ride in the region (assuming the gradient is reasonable).
Simonk
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby tylersdad on Mon 19/Oct/09 1:10pm

the track to Smiths Creek is ridable for all apart the last section down to the creek (hike a bike). would be great to have that section altered. its even a bugger to tramp.
tylersdad
"Meh !!!!"

Postby tylersdad on Mon 19/Oct/09 1:12pm

YANKEEHOTELFOXTROT wrote:Put it all together and you could ride from Wainuiomata to Featherston! How freakin cool would that be?!

sounds like an ideal set-up for drug runners :p
tylersdad
"Meh !!!!"

Cycling | Trail Building - Latest Posts