Calendar Event: February 20, 2010

Girlsonbikes

Postby Melissa_Theuriau on Wed 7/Oct/09 3:28pm

GirlsonBikesImage.png

The ski crazy town of Methven in inland Canterbury will be geared to deal with an invasion of women!

Lots and lots of them from all over the country, women cyclists will descend on the town for the inaugural Brazier Property "Girls On Bikes” road cycling event.

A few year’s ago it was Oscar winning Peter Jackson directing the action as Lord of the Rings was shot in the area, this time around it’s award winning race team from Top of the South Events calling the shots as the all girl fields set off on circuits of 35 or 76km, catering to newcomers to organized cycling as well as the more proficient.

While the short course of 35km has little in the way of ups and downs, it will present a challenge to novices with the Canterbury Nor’wester always ready to throw a little extra into the challenge.

The longer course of 76km is more of a challenge and is an option for all well trained recreational riders as well as catering for A, B, C and D grade licensed club riders.

This is a great distance to cut your teeth on as preparation for the longer events later in the year such as the Graperide and Around Lake Brunner. The two anti clockwise loop courses are designed for maximum rider safety and convenience, with the riders returning to the start area to complete the event at the luxurious Methven Resort.

Then watch the post ride celebrations begin and experience the true spirit of the famous Methven hospitality.

There will be lots of spot prizes from Merida to give away and of course we will be acknowledging all place getters in the various recreational and sports categories.

So don't wait round and enter now and commit yourself to serious all out fun.

Check out the brand new event gear from Athena and order a set when you enter online.
Melissa_Theuriau
"Vorb News Reader"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Re: Girlsonbikes

Postby tough boy on Wed 7/Oct/09 4:15pm

my grandad's favourite saying was

"went round like a girl on a bike"

never asked him what he meant. anyone know what he meant?
tough boy
Member for: 8 years 2 months

Postby nagem on Wed 7/Oct/09 4:24pm

nope.
nagem
"Some days gnawing through the leather straps just doesn't seem worthwhile."
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Postby psychavoc on Wed 7/Oct/09 4:25pm

Obviously he was a fan of female track cyclists :cool:
psychavoc
"www.celiaridesbikes.com"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 7/Oct/09 7:16pm

maybe he meant the 'town bike'...?
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Postby Rik on Fri 18/Dec/09 11:36am

Tis the season to be Jolly!

I have two FREE entries to this event courtesy of Top of the South Events.

With almost 300 entries with 10 weeks to go and it is looking like a field of around 700 to 800 riders which is pretty awesome for a first time event. Looks like it is really going off with the ladies and we will have lots of entertainment and post event stuff going on in Methven over that weekend.

We will also be running the Brazier Properties Girls on Bikes "Male Life Guard" competition on the day of the event. It will be a hoot.

Just tell us why you think you desire a ticket or two. I'm sure I don't have to tell you, but you do have to be a female to enter and be in New Zealand on race day at least.
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby laurenw on Fri 18/Dec/09 1:05pm

Rik wrote:Tis the season to be Jolly!

I have two FREE entries to this event courtesy of Top of the South Events.

With almost 300 entries with 10 weeks to go and it is looking like a field of around 700 to 800 riders which is pretty awesome for a first time event. Looks like it is really going off with the ladies and we will have lots of entertainment and post event stuff going on in Methven over that weekend.

We will also be running the Brazier Properties Girls on Bikes "Male Life Guard" competition on the day of the event. It will be a hoot.

Just tell us why you think you desire a ticket or two. I'm sure I don't have to tell you, but you do have to be a female to enter and be in New Zealand on race day at least.

Ooo me I want to win!
I deserve to win because I am a poor student, over my short summer break I have to work two jobs just to earn enough to cover rent during the year, today I am working from 9am to 9pm for example, and I normally do 50 hours over 5 days, and fit some training around that, It's not easy work either I lifeguard so have to stand up for long periods :(
I would love two free entries as my mum and I plan on doing a mother/daughter competition and fingers crossed winning too!
I also work in a bike shop so am currently doing my best to promote this race as well :)
laurenw
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Rik on Fri 18/Dec/09 1:20pm

Oooo! The bar has been set pretty high to start with!
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby macchicat on Fri 18/Dec/09 3:48pm

I have recently taken up cycling for fitness, having lost 24kg's doing 2 x 20 week challenges with CatchFitness. All my exercise is cycling, cross trainer or kayaking with a little gym work. I decided instead of doing another 20 Week Challenge I would look further afield and came across the G.O.B race on Sportzhub. I have started my training and was aiming for the 76km, but am unsure if I am being optimistic or bloody downright stupid! I am heading down to Methven to look at the course over Xmas and will make my decision then on the 76 or 35km race.

Although doing the training as per the website I am finding it hard as I do not have anyone to pace me when I train as my husband had a MTB accident and is currently on ACC, and being new to road riding I know very little about the sport.

So any assistance with the entry would be much appreciated.

:thumbsup:
macchicat
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Pick Me Cause I Smashed My Face Up

Postby carrie on Fri 18/Dec/09 3:52pm

Pick me! Pick me! I need a reason to get back on the bike properly. I stupidly smashed myself up on a parked car and a nearby stretch of road 10 days ago, which has left me with a debilitating fear of solid objects. I've not been for a decent ride since, just a very slow ride into town to the dentists a bunch of times. It was pretty spectacular. I got to pick my teeth up off the road and get a ride in an ambulance. Got 9 stitches in my face and 4 in my knee and I've been scaring kids ever since.
carrie
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby nagem on Fri 18/Dec/09 4:01pm

pixplsthnx :)
nagem

Postby nagem on Fri 18/Dec/09 4:03pm

macchicat wrote:I have recently taken up cycling for fitness, having lost 24kg's doing 2 x 20 week challenges with CatchFitness. All my exercise is cycling, cross trainer or kayaking with a little gym work. I decided instead of doing another 20 Week Challenge I would look further afield and came across the G.O.B race on Sportzhub. I have started my training and was aiming for the 76km, but am unsure if I am being optimistic or bloody downright stupid! I am heading down to Methven to look at the course over Xmas and will make my decision then on the 76 or 35km race.

Although doing the training as per the website I am finding it hard as I do not have anyone to pace me when I train as my husband had a MTB accident and is currently on ACC, and being new to road riding I know very little about the sport.

So any assistance with the entry would be much appreciated.

:thumbsup:

And where do you live?
nagem

Postby macchicat on Fri 18/Dec/09 4:53pm

Kaiapoi
macchicat
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby nagem on Fri 18/Dec/09 4:56pm

I don't even know where that is. :crazy:

Who knows someone in Kaiapoi who will ride with macchicat? :thumbsup:
nagem

Postby Little_Blue on Fri 18/Dec/09 5:35pm

Wicked race! I would love an entry so I can take a friend along who has been suffering on her hard tail mtn bike on our queenstown tracks. She juggles 3 jobs, 2 children and still manages to find time for this great passion of mtn biking she has found. I drag her round tracks for half the day, towing if necessary and a bit of pushing. She will never get to the stage of being competitive but I have never seen someone so addicted and keen to give every track a go she knows no bounds and she would go 'mental' if she won this prize.
Little_Blue
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Cycling | Featured Events | News | Road Cycling - Latest Posts