Changes To Olympic Track Cycling Programme

Postby Fergie on Sun 27/Sep/09 8:00am

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-pla ... -programme

No Pursuit, Points or Madison.

Men's and Women's Sprint, Keirin, Team Sprint, Teams Pursuit and Omnium.
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Re: Changes To Olympic Track Cycling Programme

Postby johnL on Sun 27/Sep/09 8:24am

wonder how that will effect the national program...... prob not at all now that we have some sprinters
johnL
"2x Trust House Tour of Wellington Winner, DS Team Cardno"
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby Tugboat on Sun 27/Sep/09 4:01pm

Most retarded decision by the UCI/IOC ever! :angry:

Officially it's supposedly because of IOC "equality" rules but I don't see it being beneficial for track cycling at all where the Olympics form the very pinnacle of the sport. I hope there was no pressure to cull events to make room for crap like golf and rugby sevens.
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"
Member for: 8 years 8 months

Postby disoriented on Sun 27/Sep/09 5:22pm

That sucks. They should of keeped either the points or madison, to add some balance to the programe.
disoriented
Member for: 6 years 11 months

Postby Fergie on Sun 27/Sep/09 5:40pm

What is bullshit is leaving the Keirin in after they discovered the Japanese paid to have the event included. Bet Ali Shanks is stoked :(
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby musket on Sun 27/Sep/09 5:44pm

What a joke. Omnium? For sure, but dropping the other events is ridiculous. The IP is the Blue Riband event.

The split will essentially sever any Olympic track and professional road rider cross over.
musket
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Tugboat on Sun 27/Sep/09 8:48pm

Unusual that they are talking about these changes for 2012 as well. Shit some athletes would have already had aspirations to ride events and be structuring programmes towards achieving selection. Normally changes they're talking about now would be implemented at the games following... 2016 not 2012!!
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"
Member for: 8 years 8 months

Postby gydey on Mon 28/Sep/09 4:02pm

Taking the Kilo out was the first nail in the coffin of track cycling at the Olympics. If these recommendations are bought to fruition, it will be the final nail in the coffin ..and so we can look forward to it being replaced by rugby 7s or ballroom dancing...oh yeah.

WTF are the people running our sport thinking? They have spent many hours and money trying to grow track cycling over the past 5-6 years by having a great World Cup Track Program and opening it up to Pro Teams...and now...in one decision..they will destroy it. What conceivable reason would our up and coming potential elite track champions like Vink, McLeod and Atkins have to even consider pursuing a track career?? Well really there is none...as there is no future in it.

Add to this BikeNZs strategy and practicaly total funding package from SPARC is based around the Track Endurance Program... being IP, TP, and Points...and now there is just TP. I bet Hash is rubbing his hands with glee with the Omnium decision...
gydey
User avatarMedal

Postby Speedanator on Wed 30/Sep/09 2:54pm

An important aspect of the Olympics is general spectator appeal.

And when you think about it, events Sprint, Keirin, Team Sprint, Teams Pursuit and Omnium and going to be a whole lot more exciting and dynamic to watch that someone going "round-and-round-and-round the track 12 - 16 times!
Speedanator
Member for: 5 years 10 months

Postby istepinyards on Wed 30/Sep/09 3:13pm

I actually agree with you Gydey :paranoid:

That being said how many times in the Olympics has the pursuit come down to a throw at the line? Either teams or Individual.

Kieran should go way before the IP. The reason it won't is because non cycling spectators see the spectacle as more exiting to watch then TP. The kilo is always more exiting than a IP. Even when World records are broken at major meets a close Kieran is more exiting.

Points and Madison for the uninitiated is very hard to follow. I enjoy the Madison more than any other track event mainly because of its fast paced nature. I would love to see the carnage of a womens madison. I have witnessed one in Sydney a few years ago and it was awesome.

As usual the UCI have made rash decision based on stupidity.
istepinyards
"I'm not arrogant, I am just better than you. That is a scientific fact."
Member for: 7 years 9 months

Postby gydey on Wed 30/Sep/09 3:16pm

Yeah..thats why the decathlon is more appealling than the mens 1500m...not!! IP is a blue ribbon event...its the 1500m of athletics.

In sport we want to know who the fastest is, who the strongest is...not who the best all rounder is.

I am sure every country in the world will oppose these changes..particularly GB who are hosting the Olympics and who currently have the defending champions in mens and womens IP.

I fail to see the appeal to a non cycling spectator wondering what 5 events are and how they win the event, as opposed to track cycling purists who want to see the best in each event...not riders who cant make top 10 in any event in the world...but are an allrounder. The Olympics are for the best of the best!!
gydey
User avatarMedal

Postby gydey on Wed 30/Sep/09 3:24pm

Istepinyards...yip..the kerin is exciting, and I agree with your sentiments here. I just see no place for the Omnium..its simply not advocating the fastest, or the strongest...it is advocating the best all rounder...but the Olympics arent about allrounders are they?

I agree the IP isnt won by inches often... but the fastest guy wins...and Teams Pursuit is poetry in motion riding sub 4 mins..like a swiss clock. Often these races are very close, and positions change often.

Just my opinion guys...I think its a big mistake
gydey
User avatarMedal

Postby Speedanator on Wed 30/Sep/09 3:31pm

gydey wrote:Yeah..thats why the decathlon is more appealling than the mens 1500m...not!! IP is a blue ribbon event...its the 1500m of athletics.

The 1500m is exciting because ALL the athletes are lined up alongside each other competing.
Speedanator
Member for: 5 years 10 months

Postby istepinyards on Wed 30/Sep/09 3:58pm

True Gydey,
Omnium is a bad inclusion. Its an event that could be cast aside with little regret.
I love the IP and TP as its the discipline that most of my friends and my brother were very very good at. I love the Kilo for the same reasons. They have a special place in my heart because watching them formed a lot of memories of my chldhood. I suck at riding and thats why I like doing it.
What I was saying is the Olympics is the only time outsiders see Track cycling. The IP and TP rarely at the Olympics have heart stoppers.
Unfortunately Track cycling is the poor cousin of cycling. What I mean by that is not many people have the ability to make money out of the sport. Track cycling is more exciting than the road but most people have no idea what they are viewing.

Reality that Track cycling is a sport that even in Europe is nowhere near as popular as road.
istepinyards
"I'm not arrogant, I am just better than you. That is a scientific fact."
Member for: 7 years 9 months

Cycling | Track Cycling - Latest Posts