900 Lumen Light.

Postby SirLightalot on Thu 10/Sep/09 9:15pm

Hi keen to know of anyone who has purchased one of these new LED systems. I am looking at one, Led tech, which runs 900 lumens, on high or on Low 300 lumens for 12 hours. runs Lithium ion batteries, and is available in N.Z. with bat and charger for $189.

very cheap compared to my old HID halogen which cost me $700.

So if you have one. is it all that it claims to be?, and do the batteries, last, etc.?
SirLightalot
"Illuminating the darkness on the road ahead."
Member for: 8 years 4 months

Re: 900 Lumen Light.

Postby znomit on Thu 10/Sep/09 9:23pm

Same thing, 115NZ$, free shipping.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25149
You'll likely need a NZ adapter.
The failure rate is around 10% on these out of the box, long term reliability is questionable, but hard to beat the price.
Theres a bunch of post on vorb and a detailed post somewhere on how to make them more reliable. Search is your friend.
znomit
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby Thermo on Fri 11/Sep/09 9:55am

Very nice little units those LED ones. Throw out a nice beam for riding at speed and put my halogens to shame.
Thermo
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby RussS on Fri 11/Sep/09 11:14am

znomit wrote:Same thing, 115NZ$, free shipping.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25149
You'll likely need a NZ adapter.

At any $2.00 shop

The failure rate is around 10% on these out of the box, long term reliability is questionable, but hard to beat the price.
Theres a bunch of post on vorb and a detailed post somewhere on how to make them more reliable. Search is your friend.

I have had quite a few pass through my hands for friends and they have all been of acceptable build quality.
RussS
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby swtchbckr on Fri 11/Sep/09 11:34am

yes, adapter a couple bucks from a $2 shop, or possibly you can specify with your order you want nz type plug.

and yep, good lights.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby SirLightalot on Fri 11/Sep/09 7:57pm

No this system comes with a NZ charger, battery. Just wanted to know if others have used, and weather it really is as it claims.

appears to be so, thanks.
SirLightalot

Postby SirLightalot on Fri 11/Sep/09 8:05pm

Deal extreme is a slightly different light. Runs on 900, dips to 500 lumens runs 5 hours. the one I am looking at dips to 300 lumens and therefore runs for 12 hours, so battery life is literally twice as long.

Still I guess splitting hairs in that, the lights are 900 lumens, and look very similar? maybe same factory?

Thanks for the feed back, sound like they are reliable, and sure sounds like going to kick my $700, 190 lumen (whcih takes all night to charge) halogen to bits!
SirLightalot

Postby RussS on Fri 11/Sep/09 9:13pm

I'm pretty sure they are the same unit - different picture on the box, but the unit and packaging looks exactly the same.
RussS

Postby globe on Sun 13/Sep/09 3:10pm

SirLightalot wrote:Hi keen to know of anyone who has purchased one of these new LED systems. I am looking at one, Led tech, which runs 900 lumens, on high or on Low 300 lumens for 12 hours. runs Lithium ion batteries, and is available in N.Z. with bat and charger for $189.

very cheap compared to my old HID halogen which cost me $700.

So if you have one. is it all that it claims to be?, and do the batteries, last, etc.?

SO you going to give us the link for this deal ??
globe
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby SirLightalot on Thu 17/Sep/09 8:23pm

Sorry for late reply, been busy. the link is below, and he reiterates the low mode, and yes agree, looks to be the same unit, but....he states low 300 lumen!
http://ledbulbs.co.nz/product_info.php/products_id/122
SirLightalot

Postby RussS on Thu 17/Sep/09 8:41pm

It is the same unit - comes out of the same factory and uses the same componentry. The only difference is that it is targeted for our market and has the correct format on the adapter. The Euro targeted one uses the same packaging, but the adapter is for that market. He is probably correct that 300 lumen is the low rating, but high is not 900 lumen - about 650 - 700 more like it.
RussS

Postby Wobbler on Thu 17/Sep/09 8:56pm

absolutely it'll be the same unit, maybe I will start reselling them and claim a 400 lumen low rating.
Wobbler
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby znomit on Thu 17/Sep/09 9:36pm

Given the recent revelations about whats actually coming out the front of some lights seems you can claim whatever you like.
http://www.bikelights.com/images/test_d ... ummary.pdf

Note the magicshines seem to come with various different modes and stuff so its likely there are 30% and 50% modes out there. Who knows.

The battery spec is just a little sus too...
【battery】4 X 8.4V 4.4AH lithium batteries ( battery group)

DX is now doing a helmet mount version.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.29489

Wobbler wrote:absolutely it'll be the same unit, maybe I will start reselling them and claim a 400 lumen low rating.
znomit
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby Wobbler on Fri 18/Sep/09 7:49am

exactly, interesting to see someone went to the effort to actually measure lights properly it would have been some pretty big $$$ to get that lot of testing done.
Wobbler
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby SirLightalot on Wed 23/Sep/09 8:56pm

Well got the light, and so did my mate. it is so bright, that as he was riding home, cars actually stopped as they were coming down the road! they were stunned by it? I told him we should not run it on strobe, it's just too distractiing, and after that experience he agrees. it's too bright in the city, will be great in the country. On low, it is stated to run at 20% power, but like the guy says looks to be still brighter than my HID, so I concurr it's possibly 300 Lumen? who knows. lethal on strobe for motorists, but fantastic on steady full beam.

So, if any one is looking for a great light that is very compact, and very reasonable? looked at the light you make for $95 yourself, and figured, my time to make it?? so for an extra $85 this is fantastic.

So far the light is behaving just like the guy says.
SirLightalot

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Night Riding - Latest Posts