Re: Mountain Biking Zanes Blog

Postby Colin on Fri 28/May/10 11:07am

I am exactly as fit riding my hardtail as when on my fully.

Used to be I would ride my hardtail anywhere I could ride my Stumpjumper. Although sometimes I would muster the courage to tackle something tricky on the fully first before returning on my Cotic.

There are definitely some climbs I could get further on the fully than the hardtail.

Since getting my way more capable Blur LT (and including beefy 'zochi 55's in the build) I find that bike has grown me another leg for technical climbing and another ball for descending.

Still love rocking the Cotic. Love the Blur to bits.

I would definitely take my Blur if I was to ride Barrytown. The Soul now has 20mm forks, but only 32mm stanctions - a more dynamic, less confidence inspiring ride. Can feel the frame working when I ride it hard too. Would happily ride the Soul down Croesus though.
Colin
Member for: 17 years 2 months

Postby swtchbckr on Fri 28/May/10 12:11pm

i take you guy's points... totally agree with you both.

there's particularly one guy in our group though who used to be a fit hardtail rider and since he's had a fully his fitness and skills have really gone out the window. (mindyou, there's other factors involved there too tho...)

i wasnt saying that just because people ride fully's they get fat and lazy (tho that does happen). just reckon i'd get lazier if i rode a fully.

colin, sounds like you ride a hardtail often enough to keep up the 'hardtail' muscles... same with you Zane.

oh to have the spare money to beable to afford a fully... i'd go a blur LT methinks or the new dw 5spot... hah, just like you guys... alas, children and single non-disposable incomes have put the kaibosh on that.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby inzane on Tue 5/Oct/10 10:39pm

Yeh, I know it has been a while but there has been snow sitting on the tracks I like to ride, and I have been out skiing!!

Had a fantastic mission at the weekend. 7.5 hours and 1500m of climbing (and descending)! Had a crash, broke a shifter, used my bike as a 2 speed and had an awesome ride :thumbsup:

http://mountainbikingzane.wordpress.com ... ll-oxford/
blackhill 007.jpg
blackhill 033.jpg
inzane
"Ride better, ride faster"
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby inzane on Wed 6/Oct/10 9:55am

:)
blackhill 019.jpg
inzane

Postby inzane on Tue 16/Nov/10 8:07am

Mmmm Oxford mission over teh weekend :thumbsup: Dry, hot, spectacular :thumbsup:

http://mountainbikingzane.wordpress.com ... ford-loop/
Picture 021.jpg
Picture 036.jpg
inzane

Postby inzane on Sun 5/Dec/10 9:30pm

Been away for a week up the Sounds. Got to ride Nydia, a bit of Queen Charlotte, Cullens Creek (Waikakaho) and Whites Bay :love:

http://mountainbikingzane.wordpress.com ... hites-bay/
Okiwi Nydia Cullens Whites Bay 055.jpg
Okiwi Nydia Cullens Whites Bay 100.jpg
inzane

Postby sifter on Sun 5/Dec/10 10:02pm

LOL! That photo of yours rang a bell or two! I blogged a similar ride a year or two ago =} http://sifter-writes-bikes.blogspot.com ... -vorb.html

Good to hear you shuttled Nydia - Simon and I did it as a loop from Canvastown... :crazy:
JohnLinkwaterLres2.jpg
sifter
Member for: 16 years 9 months

Postby inzane on Sun 5/Dec/10 10:21pm

Lol... yeh, pick up the new Mountain Biking South by Dave Mitchell and there is a photo from the exact same spot as well :lol: http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product-d ... OU-ACC.htm

Pretty funny. We were actually riding up around that corner, but stopped and took a photo coming down coz it was such a nice corner!! Going down the switchbacks on the other side it crossed my mind that it would be on the edge of being too steep to ride up...

Yeh, I had read your blog of that trip, and decided that I was much softer and liked my arranged transport!! About 5 years ago I did Wakamarina as a loop and that was bad enough, and I have ridden out the road to Canvastown at the end of a Nydia before as well!! Great tracks once you get the road bits out of the way tho!
inzane

Postby Brokendown on Sun 5/Dec/10 10:41pm

Very Nice,

I'm planning on replicating a fair whack of that in the week before Christmas.

Certainely some inspiring stuff.

Hopefully I should be even able to con a shuttle or two as payment for being part of an inlaw christmas.

Dont suppose you know when Wakamarina is reopening was hoping to give it a go maybe i'll just do an in and out from the Canvastown side.
Brokendown
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Postby inzane on Mon 6/Dec/10 8:22am

I think the sign said that Kiwi Road (the one through the forest to get to the start of the Wakamarina) was shut for logging until the 22 of Dec? You could try ringing the local DOC office as they may know for sure?
inzane

Postby inzane on Mon 10/Jan/11 11:15am

Not quite beyond the Black Stump material, but a fun ride out at Black Hill just after New Years.

http://mountainbikingzane.wordpress.com ... -and-back/
8.JPG
inzane

Postby stiffeeslicker on Mon 10/Jan/11 3:01pm

Cool. I was waiting for that one to appear to have a shuftie at the photos! Excellent as usual... :)
stiffeeslicker
"Intentional, apparently."
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby inzane on Mon 10/Jan/11 3:16pm

Ya, have been busy and did not get that one written up very quick. You know that if you click the photos they open as full resolution if you want a copy :)

How did your photos turn out? I am keen to see some :thumbsup:
inzane

Postby inzane on Tue 11/Jan/11 8:25pm

Been Craigieburning. Over Camp Saddle rather than the usual loop. Very good fun!!

http://mountainbikingzane.wordpress.com ... aigieburn/
190.jpg
inzane

Postby Oli on Tue 11/Jan/11 9:36pm

Good stuff, Zane!
Oli
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking Zane | Vogs - Latest Posts