Lion Battery Chargers

Postby handy-andy on Tue 8/Sep/09 10:34pm

I bought a DX P7 LED bike light from the deal extreme website. It came with a US charger, 110 -240V, so with a plug adaptor it should work on a NZ power supply.

The light works great, but now that it needs recharging I discover the US charger doesn't work. I'm sure I could probably return it but I'd rather just source a NZ charger instead. Anyone know where I can find one?

Output is 8.5V/ 1.8A
Input 100 -240Vac, 50/60Hz
handy-andy
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Re: Lion Battery Chargers

Postby RussS on Tue 8/Sep/09 11:00pm

A pain in the butt when that happens. Contacting DX for a warranty replacement will be your best option as I have been unable to locate a suitable charger locally.
RussS
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby SamKnight on Wed 9/Sep/09 5:43pm

just get a dick smith special, they usually have power supplies that can be set to a myriad of voltages and come with a lot of different adapters (assuming its a standard dc connector)
SamKnight
"Meh"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby handy-andy on Wed 9/Sep/09 7:28pm

I did think of using a DSE special (I do have one) ... but as I understand it there is a difference between a charger and a power supply. A charger regulates the current going to the battery, eliminating surges that might damage it, whereas using a power supply power might charge the battery, or might destroy it. That's not a great explanation because I'm not an expert on the subject. Any further opinions welcomed.
handy-andy

Postby tombomb600 on Wed 9/Sep/09 7:40pm

handy-andy wrote:I did think of using a DSE special (I do have one) ... but as I understand it there is a difference between a charger and a power supply. A charger regulates the current going to the battery, eliminating surges that might damage it, whereas using a power supply power might charge the battery, or might destroy it. That's not a great explanation because I'm not an expert on the subject. Any further opinions welcomed.

If I recall correctly the charging circuitry is inside the battery pack for the deal extreme P7 lights. All you need to do is provide power to the built in charging regulator.
tombomb600
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby SamKnight on Wed 9/Sep/09 7:45pm

most power supplies have built in current limiting, you could put an inline 1.5A fuse in the connector line, or if your really worried about it i could draw you up a current limiting circuit using FET's or possibly an opamp...

*Edit* Where are you? check whether the power supply is putting out a voltage, if your anywhere near palmy or want to pay postage PM me and you can mail it to me, and i'll fix it at work. :thumbsup:
SamKnight
"Meh"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby RussS on Wed 9/Sep/09 11:14pm

I wouldn't try a DSE adaptor on that battery pack - pretty sure the Li-ion batteries will kark it pretty damned fast.

Where are you located Andy?
RussS
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby handy-andy on Thu 10/Sep/09 8:50am

RussS wrote:I wouldn't try a DSE adaptor on that battery pack - pretty sure the Li-ion batteries will kark it pretty damned fast.

Where are you located Andy?

Yeah, I think the DSE Adapator would be a last resort. I'm in Christchurch.
handy-andy

Postby swtchbckr on Thu 10/Sep/09 10:01am

the last shipment of DX lights we got came with NZ chargers. if you contacted DX directly, they might be able to replace your US charger with a NZ one...
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby handy-andy on Thu 10/Sep/09 10:58am

Swtchbcker you must have lucked in. Mine only arrived last week!
handy-andy

Postby sifter on Thu 10/Sep/09 10:59am

ROAR!

Sorry, I know that's not helpful. I couldn't resist any longer... :blush:
sifter
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby swtchbckr on Thu 10/Sep/09 1:23pm

handy-andy wrote:Swtchbcker you must have lucked in. Mine only arrived last week!

dunno. mate of mine placed the order, and somehow specified he wanted the NZ type... i'm sure if you contact them they'll let you know
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Night Riding - Latest Posts