Mt Victoria 'downhill' Tracks

Postby Hardy3 on Sun 16/May/10 2:27pm

Attention Mt Vic riders! (more focused on the freeride/downhill dudes in this case).
After being a long time Mt Vic rider I've noticed that now there are other areas receiving some work such as Miramar, Makara, Long Gully and Maidstone that the Mt Vic tracks aren't getting much attention (but still plenty of riding).

I've been thinking about it for a while and have recently been talking to the "Reserves and Walkways Project Officer" from the council about doing some work on them. The general message from the council is that these tracks are not 'official' tracks but they seem pretty sweet with people still riding them and are even happier that people are keen to work on them.

Long story short! I have a tentative OK from the council to work on a couple of the downhill tracks on Mt Vic. I wanted to get the input from some of the riders and the community on what they would like to see out of the tracks. Overall the tracks are pretty sweet and just need a tidy up, ie jumps re built and some new berms.

So, any input would be great. I've attached a really rough map of the two tracks, I will get some pictures and input from the council this Thursday.
Mt Vic areas.jpg
Rough area of two tracks
Hardy3
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Re: Mt Victoria 'downhill' Tracks

Postby speeding_ant on Sun 16/May/10 2:50pm

If I want berms, I'll go to Mirimar.

There are a few things I'd like to do though. Grom track, make it more accessible by having a properly created jump section/separate rocks etc. Also bring back old section of Damians, where the fallen tree now sits. Also a sign where the "slip" is (continues onto Damians, has a drop at the end of it, after the berm on the tree at the top of ridgeline) telling people not to park their asses there... :o Would like to tidy up TTS a bit more as well.

If we have permission from council to work on it, I'd be more than keen to head up there once or twice a week to help. We'd need some experienced track builders though, who won't destroy our favorite trails into XC whippet havens.
Last edited by speeding_ant on Sun 16/May/10 3:18pm, edited 1 time in total.
speeding_ant
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby its that guy on Sun 16/May/10 3:16pm

I think building some purpose built tracks instead of modifying any currently used tracks would be more appropriate. A lot of people love the tracks the way they are and you would probably cause more trouble than its worth. But im all for building some NEW FR tracks :thumbsup:
its that guy
"Lurkin"
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby speeding_ant on Sun 16/May/10 3:20pm

its that guy wrote:I think building some purpose built tracks instead of modifying any currently used tracks would be more appropriate. A lot of people love the tracks the way they are and you would probably cause more trouble than its worth. But im all for building some NEW FR tracks :thumbsup:

I doubt council would approve that. There's too much erosion going on up at Mt Vic for huge amounts of tracks. Lots of potential up there though.
speeding_ant

Postby its that guy on Sun 16/May/10 3:25pm

speeding_ant wrote:
its that guy wrote:I think building some purpose built tracks instead of modifying any currently used tracks would be more appropriate. A lot of people love the tracks the way they are and you would probably cause more trouble than its worth. But im all for building some NEW FR tracks :thumbsup:

I doubt council would approve that. There's too much erosion going on up at Mt Vic for huge amounts of tracks. Lots of potential up there though.

Yes i agree But i think theres sure to be a strip of land somewhere on the hill that could be used to build a short and sweet track along the ridge. maybe a few wood features to make it interesting without it Being to long.
its that guy
"Lurkin"

Postby Hardy3 on Sun 16/May/10 3:27pm

Exactly the kind of feedback needed! Good call, the tracks are enjoyable as is.

The council may be open to the creation of more tracks (worth a shot anyway right?). I'll bring this up when I catch up with the dude.

There's no way I'd want to make the tracks more 'XC', the general idea would be to make them more fun etc.
Hardy3

Postby its that guy on Sun 16/May/10 3:30pm

Hardy3 wrote:Exactly the kind of feedback needed! Good call, the tracks are enjoyable as is.

The council may be open to the creation of more tracks (worth a shot anyway right?). I'll bring this up when I catch up with the dude.

There's no way I'd want to make the tracks more 'XC', the general idea would be to make them more fun etc.

This is just the sort of action needed at Mt vic. :thumbsup:
its that guy
"Lurkin"

Postby speeding_ant on Sun 16/May/10 3:34pm

I personally think grom track is a mess (apart from the new double at top :love: ). Would be great to make that into a well made freeride section. I hardly ride it these days.

Just be careful about releasing track locations etc, as they definitely aren't sanctioned. Be careful with the council, as there are people inside that would love to see these tracks removed.
speeding_ant

Postby Jono on Sun 16/May/10 3:42pm

The council is not going to be keen on new tracks getting built unless there is a clear plan for maintenance. For the moment, I would suggest that cleaning up existing tracks is going to be a much better idea than looking to build new tracks.
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby speeding_ant on Sun 16/May/10 3:45pm

Jono wrote:The council is not going to be keen on new tracks getting built unless there is a clear plan for maintenance. For the moment, I would suggest that cleaning up existing tracks is going to be a much better idea than looking to build new tracks.

Agreed. There are a ton of tracks already up at Mt Vic, each with varied levels of dubious maintenance.

I think if we get permission, we should all meet up and come up with a plan of action.
speeding_ant

Postby its that guy on Sun 16/May/10 3:57pm

speeding_ant wrote:
Jono wrote:The council is not going to be keen on new tracks getting built unless there is a clear plan for maintenance. For the moment, I would suggest that cleaning up existing tracks is going to be a much better idea than looking to build new tracks.

Agreed. There are a ton of tracks already up at Mt Vic, each with varied levels of dubious maintenance.

I think if we get permission, we should all meet up and come up with a plan of action.

Maybe we should look into some older unused xc tracks and just convert them?
its that guy
"Lurkin"

Postby slimdog on Sun 16/May/10 3:57pm

My first thoughts when I rode there were eco disaster. There are way to may tracks there that have been abandoned that are creating drainage problems. Not to mention all the dead end trails and over grown trails that just make mountain bikers look bad to the council and walkers. I don't think new trails are the answer. Glad to hear that the council has taken a interest in the area with us mountain bikers after all the damage we have done. That being said I would be happy to volunteer my time to help out with some maintenance.

Cheers

S
slimdog
Member for: 8 years 2 months

Postby speeding_ant on Sun 16/May/10 4:04pm

slimdog wrote:My first thoughts when I rode there were eco disaster. There are way to may tracks there that have been abandoned that are creating drainage problems. Not to mention all the dead end trails and over grown trails that just make mountain bikers look bad to the council and walkers. I don't think new trails are the answer. Glad to hear that the council has taken a interest in the area with us mountain bikers after all the damage we have done. That being said I would be happy to volunteer my time to help out with some maintenance.

Cheers

S

Thankfully council has done a lot towards draining Mt Vic properly via walking tracks, and most of the freeride tracks don't attract water streams. But there are some trails that could do with improvments in that area.

Top stuff
speeding_ant

Postby Hardy3 on Sun 16/May/10 7:33pm

Sweet, thanks for the feedback all.

I do have to agree that there are plenty of tracks, it seems to be a matter of keeping everyone happy. It would be sweet to gauge interest and ideas, possibly organise a meeting or committee of those that are keen to add input.

Good point on not disclosing the location of the trails as such, I need to gauge the interest of the council and where we stand on what can be done up there before sticking my foot in it.
Hardy3

Postby Vee on Sun 16/May/10 10:04pm

I would have to say that Karitane / Truby King has a lot of opportunities for jumps and downhill, there are some 'disguised' dh sections already there, you just have to find them. Also, if you are serious and would like some help, feel free to approach the Wellington Mountain Bike Club for help with funding, contacts and advice :)

www.wmtbc.org.nz
info@wmtbc.org.nz
Vee
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Conditions | Cycling | Downhill Racing | Lower North Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Public Notices | Regions | Trail Building | Trail Conditions | Wellington | Wellington Region - Latest Posts