Re: Mt Victoria 'downhill' Tracks

Postby Jimi on Sun 24/Oct/10 2:57pm

I also found a tree down across one of the other tracks (track with rock drop). It could have been there for ages as I don't ride this track much. But I think it could be turned into a couple of small drops rather than having them removed.
IMG_1272.jpg
View from above.
IMG_1273.jpg
View from below.
Jimi
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby DaveAldred on Sun 24/Oct/10 4:26pm

I've seen these and agree that the fallen tree is better as a feature. Would be nice and techy as you'd get virtually no time to pull up for the second existing launch, after coming over the fresh log.

Damn the eyes of the rock drop. I have yet to gather the stones to launch it :( I just imagine rag dolling onto the 4wd.
DaveAldred
"Bushlove - Strictly Sifting"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby DaveAldred on Sun 24/Oct/10 4:31pm

Can someone educate me on the location of Double Down? I have probably ridden it, but i appreciate knowing the names, and don't recognise this section.

Actually scrap that. I know this track. Has some cool little log drops and this mess is blocking the exit to the 4wd.

But I'm going to post this anyway for teh hell of it.
DaveAldred
"Bushlove - Strictly Sifting"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby Jimi on Sun 24/Oct/10 5:26pm

Here's the google map link which shows roughly where the fallen tree's on Double Down are.
Jimi

Postby Jimi on Mon 25/Oct/10 8:31pm

We have rebuilt the lip on the second log. All dirt now. No rotten branches. We will ask the ranger to cut the log before this one out so you can keep some speed off the drop.
IMG_1281.jpg
Mt Vic
Jimi

Postby wachtourak on Mon 25/Oct/10 8:33pm

That tree had been down on rock drop for ages. New work looks good.
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 16 years 9 months

Postby speeding_ant on Sat 30/Oct/10 8:01pm

Had a bit of a session on Rock drop track today. Take a look at the top of that track too, big things on the way.
speeding_ant
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby speeding_ant on Sun 31/Oct/10 5:05pm

More work on Rock Drop today.

Built a man made rock section. We wanted a rock garden, but huge rocks are hard to find. Good bit of trail though. And don't worry, we scrubbed in a nana line next to it ;)
IMG_0212.jpg
speeding_ant

Postby speeding_ant on Sun 31/Oct/10 5:55pm

:)
speeding_ant

Postby sifter on Sun 31/Oct/10 6:40pm

Good to see! And, great to see WCC getting involved through Ranger Steve too. What a great city! :love:
sifter
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby speeding_ant on Sun 31/Oct/10 6:47pm

Definitely! It's really good to be a part of it. Cheers for hardy3 for making your moves with the council ;) It's good to see the council guys ride bikes too!

We're looking at putting in some well made structures on Rock Drop, right at the top. That should stop some of the erosion on that soft top soil. The beginners will have alternative lines to learn on :D

We're meeting with the rangers this week to get some more trees removed. This includes the tree down on Rock Drop, and also to cut through some more fallen trees on the old Damians line (Beginning before the berm). We will also be clearing exits and entries for most tracks, and benching some of Grom track.

Also we're learning how to build as we go, so if anyone wants to jump in with constructive criticism that would be awesome.
speeding_ant

Postby speeding_ant on Tue 2/Nov/10 6:11pm

Update:

Hardy3 and I met up with the ranger at Mt Vic today. He's cutting out the log on Rock Drop, and also chopping up some trees on the entrance to the old Damians line. We've got permission to build structures (as long as their not ridiculous), and they're providing us with some tools.

Our council rocks :love:
speeding_ant

Postby Jimi on Tue 2/Nov/10 7:31pm

That's great news about the structures. I'm pretty sure I know a builder that can help with construction.
Jimi

Postby speeding_ant on Tue 2/Nov/10 7:37pm

Thanks Jimeh. You da man.
speeding_ant

Postby danpsmith on Tue 2/Nov/10 9:51pm

Where is this Rock Drop track? Never seen that one in my regular trips to Mt Vic.
Looks like you've put in some good work there, I may have to go looking for it tomorrow afternoon
danpsmith
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Conditions | Cycling | Downhill Racing | Lower North Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Public Notices | Regions | Trail Building | Trail Conditions | Wellington | Wellington Region - Latest Posts