Verona Bunchride On Friday

Postby jimmymic on Sat 20/Dec/08 8:20am

So, because I felt left out, not that I would have partook anyway since I would have my arse spanked, I decided there was only one thing for it - a Verona Bunchride today. Bunch may have been an overstatement, unless you count the Garmin and me. So I mapped out a nice new ride, hoping to avoid the cross style route of 2 days ago, that included farm tracks and random sheep, even a bit of lifting to head over the obstacles.

The aim of the ride was to go further North than previously, cause the hill looks nice :-)

We lined up at the start, Garmin and me. Garmin had been programed a nice gentile 30k average on the flat with a climbing time of 25meters/minute. No other bugger turned up so we set off - nice and early at 11 today to miss the morning ice and the afternoon freezer.

I took the early lead, and was a fair while up by the start of the first climb. Bugger me - I should have looked at the profile after I mapped it. Why was the Garmin telling me 15%... must be a bit mistaken, a minute later and the hurtbox was up ahead, cause it wasn't getting any less steep and the Garmin confirmed that. The worst thing was, all my bloody lead and the Garmin had taken it back. Bastard - I nearly gave it away right then and there - not that there is anyone else around, a total of 8 cars or trucks in my 70k today :-)

So the hurtbox came and went, but the sunshine stayed. Just to add the kicker I thought I would do the Alchenago to Montecchio climb just for measure, 400m in 5k's.

For the record, Garmin had it's arse spanked by 3k's - seems the BikeRouteToaster website doesn't account for the downhill sections that well......

All good - and for tomorrow there may well be a repeat to take the wife on the same route - any takers?
Road 19-12-2008, Elevation - Distance.png
Last edited by jimmymic on Sat 20/Dec/08 8:23am, edited 1 time in total.
jimmymic
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby Spokes on Sat 20/Dec/08 8:22am

Pics needed please.
Spokes
""Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."--W.C. Fields"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby jimmymic on Sat 20/Dec/08 8:25am

Sorry no pics today, no time for stopping - but profile now posted for your pleasure. Pics tomorrow during the leisure version....

I meant to add the first section of downhill would have to be the sweetest I have ever ridden. It is a 1.5 lane wide road, steep drop off on the right hand side but on 50% of the corners you can see what is coming and there are sections where you can see five bends ahead. Best thing is it is all hotmix :-)
jimmymic

Postby Fergie on Sat 20/Dec/08 8:53am

Jealous? F**k yeah!

Awesome ride.
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Sat 20/Dec/08 11:48am

Here's the Profile of my Rollers ride two Sundays ago.
Sorry - its not very high tech.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------

*The gap was when I took a drink at approx 20 minutes.
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby jimmymic on Sat 20/Dec/08 11:56am

You should get a Garmin to help with that..... could make a real pretty picture. Could even measure the actual drinking time, which looks suspiciously small compared to the riding time. According to my calculations (assuming the graph is accurate) you rode for a total of 33 1/3 hours!
jimmymic

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Sat 20/Dec/08 11:59am

jimmymic wrote: You should get a Garmin to help with that..... could make a real pretty picture. Could even measure the actual drinking time, which looks suspiciously small compared to the riding time. According to my calculations (assuming the graph is accurate) you rode for a total of 33 1/3 hours!

According to your calculations I fell asleep for a whole day :D
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby jimmymic on Sun 28/Dec/08 5:59am

So there was another bunch ride today, with me and Garmin heading out today. But for a change I thought I would control where we were going. A good idea? Maybe.

So we had be promised much snow over the last few days, and in the hills behind our apartment we haven't had any, most rides over the last couple of days have been over towards Lago di Garda.

But today I thought, why not go hurt a little and repeat a ride of a couple of weeks ago that has a section of 13-15% for a good 1200m - with the rest of the climb around the 10% mark.

So, heading up having completed around half the climb there was a fair bit of dribs and drabs of snow on the side of the road, and a lot of salt on the road, a little surprised to see any snow but was fairly happy with where things were at on the ice front. And then there was a temptation put in front of me, a steepish looking road that had not been ridden - off we go. :thumbsup:

I have never been so cold out on the bike, the hands were numb. I got to a point where the Garmin said 20k's to get to Cerro Veronese, now I am no Cunego, and I was not so sure he would welcome me stopping by his house to warm up, so with 20k's to Cerro, and another 27k's home, and under an hour of sunlight left with the temperature below zero, I bailed - no hard man here sorry.

The 26k's home from where I was turned out to be the most painful experience I have had for a while. 900m elevation drop, 20k's, 0 degrees = bloody cold fingers. It got to the point where I spied some sunshine, stopped on the side of the road, gloves in armpits, back on bike, another couple of k's, do the same. I have a new found respect for those who finished and raced in that Tour of Southland stage now.

Anyway, enough of my garbage - here are some pictures of Group Ride Verona #2.
jimmymic

Cycling | Road Cycling - Latest Posts