Re: Veleodrome Roof Collapses In Invers!

Postby Joel on Mon 20/Sep/10 5:05pm

track should have been made of Kauri
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 17 years 6 months

Postby Ahad on Mon 20/Sep/10 5:09pm

j2hyde wrote:
Ahad wrote:Unbelievable! Big snowfalls like that at this time of year?! :crazy:

Big southerlies in september and october are very common.
Scotty wrote:Yup, as soon as the first lamb shows up, along come the southerlies.

What! Are you guys are suggesting we actually get Southerlies in Sept/Oct? :blink: No way! I did not know that!

Ahad wrote:Biggest snowfall in 15yrs according to the news reports so I stand by my statement.

Otherwise the stadium would have fallen down the year after it was built ;) :lol:
Scotty wrote:Not necessarily, the current event could be a cumulation of weather events over the past decade...

Could be, but I doubt it ;) 20 to 26cm of wet heavy Spring snow on the roof of the stadium according to the guys who measured it. Are you telling me that this particular building was designed for snow loading of this magnitude? According to some locals who've lived there for over 60yrs they've never seen anything like it(in terms of snow). This was a freak event. So again when its obvious its a freak event I would have thought it quite normal to express surprise...as I did.

This was not a typical September Southerly with just a bit of sleet, hail and perhaps the odd snowflake or three. OK?!
Ahad
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby Scotty on Mon 20/Sep/10 5:57pm

ahad wrote: Are you telling me that this particular building was designed for snow loading of this magnitude?

Well, obviously it wasn't because it's deadzzor, the implied question is (that a lot of people are asking) why can't a ten-year-old building with a 30-50 year lifespan handle a one-in-fifteen year snowstorm?

ahad wrote:This was not a typical September Southerly with just a bit of sleet, hail and perhaps the odd snowflake or three. OK?!

Nope. It wasn't the snowy apocalypse it's being made out to be either, it was a one-in-fifteen year snowstorm... however they come up with that figure. :blink:

Apparently Dunedin's new stadium is designed for a one-in-five-hundred year storm, again, I have no idea what that looks like or how they came up with it, but it sounds like fun. :)
Scotty
Member for: 17 years 7 months

Postby kiwi_zg on Mon 20/Sep/10 7:15pm

I heard a rumour today that during the construction of the Southland Stadium, they had trouble with the roof. Apparently back then the roof couldn't even support it's own weight, and extra strengthening was required.
kiwi_zg
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby Fergie on Tue 21/Sep/10 9:21am

From Cycling Southland: Yunca Tour and Track Carnival early October is NOT affected by Stadium collapse. All go on road (1st-3rd) and track (5th-6th). See you in the south soon
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby Oli on Tue 21/Sep/10 10:07am

Good news! :thumbsup:
Oli
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby Oli on Tue 21/Sep/10 10:27am

Just one tiny niggly little point, it's a VELODROME not a VELEODROME. Thanks mods. :thumbsup:
Oli
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby EoinC on Tue 21/Sep/10 11:16am

Fraser wrote:But this is due to global warming and our carbon footprint...
Exactly. Far too many carbon fibre bike bits out there. The sooner everyone rides steel, the sooner Stadium roofs will stop doing all this collapsing carry on.

Columbus - The Green Tube
EoinC
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby EoinC on Tue 21/Sep/10 11:17am

Oli wrote:Just one tiny niggly little point, it's a VELODROME not a VELEODROME. Thanks mods. :thumbsup:
That's correct. The term "Veleodrome" is under copyright of the Sicilian Sycling Federation.
EoinC

Postby EoinC on Tue 21/Sep/10 11:18am

Fergie wrote:From Cycling Southland: Yunca Tour and Track Carnival early October is NOT affected by Stadium collapse. All go on road (1st-3rd) and track (5th-6th). See you in the south soon
Excellent. Layers of lard being applied as I type.
EoinC

Postby Fergie on Tue 21/Sep/10 11:29am

EoinC wrote:
Fergie wrote:From Cycling Southland: Yunca Tour and Track Carnival early October is NOT affected by Stadium collapse. All go on road (1st-3rd) and track (5th-6th). See you in the south soon
Excellent. Layers of lard being applied as I type.

I have a 10 year head start.
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Re: Velodrome Roof Collapses In Invers!

Postby Crashed on Wed 22/Sep/10 5:40pm

Has anyone checked the roof of the Velodrome ? it may snow again
Crashed
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Cycling | Invercargill | Lower South Island | New Zealand | Regions | Road Cycling | Road Racing | Southland | Track Cycling - Latest Posts