Re: Velocite Launches Groundbreaking 'aero' Road Bike

Postby musket on Thu 3/Feb/11 7:15pm

Checking facts (in tunnels and proper testing facilities) costs money. Much easier to claim it, and let someone else test it to refute you.
musket
Member for: 16 years 2 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Thu 3/Feb/11 7:52pm

musket wrote:
Spyder wrote:That "no significant weight premium" whilst only 250gm is still 25% over the really light stuff out there...

More like 33%. Very similar to the Cipo. Also, does the OP have any commercial interest in this, or is he just try to generate traffic for his site?

Does Velocite sponsor you Dan?
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby Dunnersdan on Thu 3/Feb/11 8:49pm

they do not sponsor me
but I do have their new Magnus road bike that I am currently testing
Dunnersdan
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby musket on Thu 3/Feb/11 9:02pm

While we're at it - does the website you keep trying to drive traffic to via bogus posts here pay you?
musket
Member for: 16 years 2 months

Postby Joel on Thu 3/Feb/11 9:20pm

besides, aero designs like Kamm-tail mean don't neccessarly need to "push" UCI 3to1 limits..
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 16 years 8 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Fri 4/Feb/11 4:48am

cyclenutnz wrote: Velocite very good at making big claims but less fussy on fact checking

What is the use of marketing staff who can't see beyond the facts? That's no fun at all.

I want some of those cranks with a right angle bend in the middle, and I want techy explanations with them, and I want to see heroes riding them to glorious victory. They don't have to say the cranks helped them win, just that they are testing them.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 9 years 1 month

Postby Dunnersdan on Fri 4/Feb/11 5:17am

other websites are also coming out with the Velocite story. Bikeradar has their version http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/v ... look-29151
Dunnersdan
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby Joel on Fri 4/Feb/11 8:52am

The frame may look the goods but it hasn't been put through its paces in a wind tunnel yet. "We've been in talks with an aerodynamics department at a university in Tainan for a while where we intend to conduct low speed aerodynamic testing with a rider," said Major. "We chose not to do CFD (computational fluid dynamics) since that's overused in my opinion, and besides a pretty looking illustration, it doesn't actually show very well what happens when the bike is ridden."

but trust us it's really aero.

they do the usual, push the rear wheel into the seat tube to smooth turbulence, and some "aero" tubing but no detail on the design of the tubing.

Rear stays don't look like they are particular oversized for power transfer or tight to the wheel and flaring out to the rear. head tube looks standard stuff with no aero treatment.

i would have thought that a aero leading edge design would deal to hiding cables as they leave the tape.. and the whole fork integrated with the head tube trick. also doing the TT trick of routing through the steam. fork also looks standard, just the usual width.

to be up front, just the usual stuff that has been well used already by several companies.

looks like an ok frame that pedal force will be rebranding for around 1K US shortly. but not exactly ground breaking.
Joel
"Style over speed"

Postby Rik on Fri 4/Feb/11 9:04am

Not wanting to take this too off topic. But does pushing the rear wheel into the down tube like this allow a shorter wheelbase design?
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Fri 4/Feb/11 9:19am

Rik wrote:Not wanting to take this too off topic. But does pushing the rear wheel into the down tube like this allow a shorter wheelbase design?

There is an optimal wheelbase design and pushing the rear wheel in (think motorcycles) isn't going to help that.
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby Joel on Fri 4/Feb/11 9:34am

TT bikes dealt to this by leaving BB to axel length the same but filling in the arc of the wheel from chain stays to seat stays.
Joel
"Style over speed"

Postby cyclenutnz on Fri 4/Feb/11 9:52am

Actually most tt bikes have much shorter chainstays than shimano/campag spec (405mm min for good shifting). Often 380-390mm, the reason for this is to push weight back off the front wheel to retain stability without making the bike as long as a milk tanker.

You won't see the frame on pedalforce, it is a Velocite owned mould. It's severely overpriced and not groundbreaking or first in any regard that I can see.

Like I said - the design is several years old and hasn't been updated with the features that Joel mentions that are becoming common. If the overall design looks somewhat familiar - he did the teschner aerowave tt bike (but got shafted by them).

Specialized will have their aero road bike on the road this year, rumour is HTC will have some at Milan San Remo.
cyclenutnz
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby Joel on Fri 4/Feb/11 10:11am

i like the Kamm-tail designs, look good.. a lot of aero road bike designs really are fugly.
Joel
"Style over speed"

Postby Joel on Fri 4/Feb/11 10:15am

although i am assuming Kamm-tail is effective at low speeds? i guess trek and scott would not be heading down that path if not.
Joel
"Style over speed"

Postby cyclenutnz on Fri 4/Feb/11 10:24am

Treks Kamm is better at high yaw than low so it's better to be slow...
much the same as the new heds and zipps (and any disc) - better for slow people or windy days.

main reason to pursue kamm is simpler fabrication and a lot better weight/stiffness.
If Scott Foil comes out in low 800s as expected - that really changes the game for aero bikes.
cyclenutnz
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Cycling | Multisport | Road Cycling | Road Racing | Triathlons - Latest Posts