Van, Recommendations And Thoughts

Postby globe on Sun 18th Jun 5:40pm

Looking at getting meself a van to convert into a camper that I can use on the usual missions, bit too old for the old backpacker style basic so was thinking about getting something with a bit more room and converting that, anyone had any experience of Vito's or similar or recommendations (thinking LWB)? I know every model has bad apples now and again but some models shouldnt be touched with barge poles....cheers
globe
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Re: Van, Recommendations And Thoughts

Postby Nathan007 on Sun 18th Jun 7:21pm

I have a v350. Similar to a Vito.
I don't use it for camping but it's great for transporting bikes & people. I have the Petrol version which is quite expensive to run but is very nice to drive
Nathan007
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby globe on Sun 18th Jun 8:07pm

Is the v350 a merc also? Reading the web seems the Vito have a reputation for rust and VW transporters get rave reviews. Hiaces too but would prefer something a bit higher given I'm hoping to use but a bit (had a hiace back in the day and they are a bit low head room wise me thinks)
globe
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby Nathan007 on Sun 18th Jun 8:16pm

V350 is a Merc too. It's a big van with plenty of room. The vw look good I wanted something with more power and have a mate who has a Merc work van. For a camper probably better to look for something more suited. My van has an auxiliary battery to run a lot of extras but would be a waste to turn into a camper. All rear seats can be removed and replaced in any configuration which is very handy
Nathan007
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby philstar on Tue 20th Jun 1:07am

I want a vinto due to the low height to fit into garages etc. pretty much anywhere a suburban tractor can fit. but not much good for standing in.

depending on what type of camper you want; something to live in or something to sleep in? a marquee on wheels or a pup tent on wheels?
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby dragon_style on Wed 21st Jun 1:27pm

We got a 2001 VW T4 Transporter in the 2.5 turbo diesel and longer wheel base. Spent a long time finding one with seats in the back so it could be a daily use family vehicle as well as the camper. I like it, drives well for a van, comfortable enough for long road trips, is fine for everyday use as it doesn't feel as big as it looks when you are driving it. We have it set up with a double bed in the back for the adults and the kids sleep crossways on beds at about the level of the tops of the front and back seats. There is just half the bed base in the back permanently so you can put bikes, plywood etc alongside it (even fits a Big Dummy in there happily).

That model VW had good reviews for reliability and had a decent safety rating which we wanted. Other options were the Mercs but reliability reviews seemed comparatively less positive and the Transits but they were very hard to come by with seats already fitted in the back. It's been good, doesn't get used during the week much so we only fill the 80l tank about every 2-3months, hasn't had any maintenance that wouldn't be expected probably and at about 215,000k is still going strong.
dragon_style
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby EoinC on Thu 22nd Jun 12:06am

EoinC
Member for: 7 years 3 months

Postby Rik on Thu 22nd Jun 9:36am

My T2 (bay window) made the most awesome race transporter. Nothing beats having a vehicle you can relax in and brew a cuppa after a race.
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Motoring | Sifting - Latest Posts