Re: Using Fuel Is Bad For The Economy - Thoughts/general Rant

Postby RHR_Rob on Wed 3/Sep/14 2:12pm

I am sure the oil co's risk management is much better than yours before you launch down a black diamond track.
RHR_Rob
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Re: Using Fuel Is Bad For The Economy - Thoughts/general Rant

Postby Wobbler on Wed 3/Sep/14 2:15pm

I'm pretty sure if I rag it on a black diamond (lol black diamond) then I dont spray oil all over the rilau
Wobbler
User avatarMedal
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Re: Using Fuel Is Bad For The Economy - Thoughts/general Rant

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 3/Sep/14 2:46pm

RHR_Rob wrote:on another note this drilling for oil thinng make me laugh, when i go past a greeny house that has a 'stop dilling for deep sea oil' or similar greeny slogon on the fence and i think hipocritic NIMBY as they all have a car or 2 parked in the drive, like to live in a consumer world where oil is probably used to some extent to make all the things they like etc etc.
perhaps we should have an oil free week where we dont use or do anything that has had some oil used in its production/delivery etc - see how they cope then.
Oil used in the production of bikes is ok though :-)


So the 0 cars & 5-and-a-bit bikes at my place are fine? Glad I fit your rigorous selection process.
Velocipedestrian
User avatar
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Re: Using Fuel Is Bad For The Economy - Thoughts/general Rant

Postby RHR_Rob on Wed 3/Sep/14 3:17pm

No your too green.
I hope you dont use oil on your chain....
RHR_Rob
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Re: Using Fuel Is Bad For The Economy - Thoughts/general Rant

Postby EoinC on Wed 3/Sep/14 4:16pm

RHR_Rob wrote:I am sure the oil co's risk management is much better than yours before you launch down a black diamond track.

Aside from the Macondo's, and West Atlas', you are largely correct - This is the bizzo I'm in, and it is all about risk management.

Making a distinction between Land, Shallow water, and Deepwater is not a reliable indicator. For most operators and contractors, the intensity of the risk management, including detail for Safety Cases etc, ramps up with the complexity of the situation.
EoinC
Member for: 8 years 2 months

Re: Using Fuel Is Bad For The Economy - Thoughts/general Rant

Postby Simonius_Titius on Wed 3/Sep/14 5:28pm

EoinC wrote:
RHR_Rob wrote:I am sure the oil co's risk management is much better than yours before you launch down a black diamond track.

Aside from the Macondo's, and West Atlas', you are largely correct - This is the bizzo I'm in, and it is all about risk management.

Making a distinction between Land, Shallow water, and Deepwater is not a reliable indicator. For most operators and contractors, the intensity of the risk management, including detail for Safety Cases etc, ramps up with the complexity of the situation.

Does the intensity of risk management relate to the possible consequences?
It would seem that NZ's govt is highly resistant to the principle of imposing consequences for environmental damage by big business, so deep water drilling around NZ should be pretty safe. For the drillers.
Simonius_Titius
User avatar
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Re: Using Fuel Is Bad For The Economy - Thoughts/general Rant

Postby kona.stinky. on Wed 3/Sep/14 8:13pm

If only we had ways to move lots of freight/people at exponentially higher levels of efficiency than road trucks/cars....

Haven't bothered to look at the stats, so can't say how much of the gasoline pie households and the trucking industry use up.. But surely if we had some remote form of a usable rail infrastructure (THANKS OBAMA BOLGER) our dependency on foreign oil could drop at least a little bit and get the big ass CA deficit shrunk even slightly...
kona.stinky.
User avatar
"Si"
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Re: Using Fuel Is Bad For The Economy - Thoughts/general Rant

Postby Simonius_Titius on Wed 3/Sep/14 9:12pm

Welcome back Stinky!

The fuel efficiency advantage of rail is currently masked by our stupidly cheap fuel, making the point-to-point convenience of trucks harder to compete with. Also the law was scrapped that pushed long distance freight towards trains.

I don't know if it is still the case but several years back I read that road damage from trucks had been badly underestimated and trucks were being cross subsidised by other road users.
Simonius_Titius
User avatar
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Re: Using Fuel Is Bad For The Economy - Thoughts/general Rant

Postby znomit on Wed 3/Sep/14 9:19pm

Simonius_Titius wrote: I don't know if it is still the case but several years back I read that road damage from trucks had been badly underestimated and trucks were being cross subsidised by other road users.


Yes, we all pay for the trucks.
http://transportblog.co.nz/2013/12/21/a ... or-trucks/

Disclaimer.
Thats a blog, so may well be part of an evil hippy truck hating left wing smear campaign.
znomit
User avatar
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Re: Using Fuel Is Bad For The Economy - Thoughts/general Rant

Postby kona.stinky. on Wed 3/Sep/14 9:29pm

Simonius_Titius wrote:Welcome back Stinky!

The fuel efficiency advantage of rail is currently masked by our stupidly cheap fuel, making the point-to-point convenience of trucks harder to compete with. Also the law was scrapped that pushed long distance freight towards trains.

I don't know if it is still the case but several years back I read that road damage from trucks had been badly underestimated and trucks were being cross subsidised by other road users.

Cheers bud!

That is really unfortunate, maybe next economic downswing in the not so far away future when fuel prices have risen much further, a long term expansion of the railways could be implemented (don't know if that's far fetched enough to warrant a 'haha'?).Or... maybe when enough Chinese are in the country we could pick up inspiration from the current Chinese Fiscal policies and we'd have a booming railway system in a matter of years :lol:
kona.stinky.
User avatar
"Si"
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Cars | Economy | Motoring | National Politics | Politics | Sifting - Latest Posts

Who is online

90 Users browsing this website: DotBot, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], slidecontrol and 85 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • ProBikeKit
  • Vorb Shop

cron