Re: Using Fuel Is Bad For The Economy - Thoughts/general Rant

Postby philstar on Tue 2/Sep/14 1:37pm

phunk wrote:
The jist of the argument seemed to me to be about using inputs from overseas, which is irrelevant. .

I think I relevant is too strong a word, spending money in a way that it is more likely to flow back to you is better. but spending money locally is not necessarily more likely to flow back to you. and what is that premium worth is hard to factor in.

phunk wrote:So we can all agree, using fuel is not bad for the economy.

but it should not be seen as good for the economy either

ape wrote:Analysts / the government even use vehicle trips as a measurement of financial activity, and look to maximise this. An increase in the number of trucks on the road must be caused by an increase of goods being transported,
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby phunk on Tue 2/Sep/14 1:50pm

philstar wrote:
phunk wrote:
The jist of the argument seemed to me to be about using inputs from overseas, which is irrelevant. .

I think I relevant is too strong a word, spending money in a way that it is more likely to flow back to you is better. but spending money locally is not necessarily more likely to flow back to you. and what is that premium worth is hard to factor in.

phunk wrote:So we can all agree, using fuel is not bad for the economy.

but it should not be seen as good for the economy either

ape wrote:Analysts / the government even use vehicle trips as a measurement of financial activity, and look to maximise this. An increase in the number of trucks on the road must be caused by an increase of goods being transported,

??

Fuel lets me drive my car places that I want to go, gets goods delivered to me etc etc etc..

How is this not a good thing?
phunk
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby philstar on Tue 2/Sep/14 2:08pm

phunk wrote:
RHR_Rob wrote:Well oil will run out eventually so i am having my share right now.
But i have just bought a new truck which is much more economical so that make me feel nice and green :-)

Unlikely, its just that the last few drops will be really really expensive if we still have a use for it by then.

Functional that's what run out means in this context. but I agree a better word is needed, perhaps deplete?
philstar
"misanthropic"

Postby philstar on Tue 2/Sep/14 2:14pm

phunk wrote:Fuel lets me drive my car places that I want to go, gets goods delivered to me etc etc etc..
How is this not a good thing?

Going places you want to go is a good thing, goods getting delivered is a good thing, petroleum fuel is currently used to do these things, but fuel use is not a good thing in itself, or a good analogy (or measurable surrogate) for these things.
philstar
"misanthropic"

Postby Malcy on Tue 2/Sep/14 2:32pm

So we should start drilling and refining here with our own resources! Excellent!!!*
:thumbsup:

*don't take that seriously you lot!
Malcy
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby RHR_Rob on Tue 2/Sep/14 5:57pm

When an electric car sounds and goes like a v8 and cost similar then I will be interested
RHR_Rob
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Tue 2/Sep/14 6:37pm

RHR_Rob wrote:When an electric car sounds and goes like a v8 and cost similar then I will be interested

:rolleyes:
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby Fraser on Tue 2/Sep/14 11:53pm

RHR_Rob wrote:When an electric car sounds and goes like a v8 and cost similar then I will be interested

They do that now.
BMW M5 already has 'piped' synthetic sound to make it sound fruitier to you as the driver. So the future has been around for a couple of years. They only started making the Model S in RHD in August.
Fraser
Member for: 16 years 8 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Wed 3/Sep/14 10:42am

The economy is a subset of the environment.

"Using fuel" has kicked off the 6th mass extinction.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Postby Farm on Wed 3/Sep/14 12:03pm

I appreciate the rumble of a V8 as much as the next man from small town New Zealand. I did enjoy the quiet the couple of times I've travelled in a Prius.
I was a passenger in a taxi so it made sight seeing and reading more enjoyable and listening to music would be much nicer. I'd be interested to know if the lack of (or maybe it's there but different?) audible feedback as a driver is challenging?
I think electric cars would make long commutes more pleasurable/less taxing, save the V8 for weekend hooning.
Farm
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby philstar on Wed 3/Sep/14 12:42pm

Farm wrote:I appreciate the rumble of a V8 as much as the next man from small town New Zealand. I did enjoy the quiet the couple of times I've travelled in a Prius.
I was a passenger in a taxi so it made sight seeing and reading more enjoyable and listening to music would be much nicer. I'd be interested to know if the lack of (or maybe it's there but different?) audible feedback as a driver is challenging?
I think electric cars would make long commutes more pleasurable/less taxing, save the V8 for weekend hooning.

I find in my car road and wind noise is more dominant than engine noise (unless the accelerator is on the fire wall), but I drive mainly on the open road and need quieter tiers
philstar
"misanthropic"

Postby RHR_Rob on Wed 3/Sep/14 1:32pm

Fraser wrote:

They do that now.
BMW M5 already has 'piped' synthetic sound to make it sound fruitier to you as the driver. So the future has been around for a couple of years. They only started making the Model S in RHD in August.

ok so how much change out of 100k will you have?

on another note this drilling for oil thinng make me laugh, when i go past a greeny house that has a 'stop dilling for deep sea oil' or similar greeny slogon on the fence and i think hipocritic NIMBY as they all have a car or 2 parked in the drive, like to live in a consumer world where oil is probably used to some extent to make all the things they like etc etc.
perhaps we should have an oil free week where we dont use or do anything that has had some oil used in its production/delivery etc - see how they cope then.
Oil used in the production of bikes is ok though :-)
RHR_Rob
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby Wobbler on Wed 3/Sep/14 1:45pm

I think the general gist with the deep sea drilling is that it is a bunch riskier than the shallower/landbased bizzo*

*I'm probably wrong here
Wobbler
User avatarMedal
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Postby Malcy on Wed 3/Sep/14 1:45pm

RHR_Rob wrote:Oil used in the production of {insert your thing you like here for the sake of ANY argument} is ok though :-)

Fixed. ;-)
Malcy
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby Bigfoot on Wed 3/Sep/14 1:56pm

Wobbler wrote:I think the general gist with the deep sea drilling is that it is a bunch riskier than the shallower/landbased bizzo*

*I'm probably wrong here

I think the same thing. Same * as well.

ie this post is pointless.
Bigfoot
"We are the Village Green Preservation Society"
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Cars | Economy | Motoring | National Politics | Politics | Sifting - Latest Posts