Urban Cycleways Programme Gaining Traction

Postby Melissa_Theuriau on Mon 4/Jul/16 4:47pm

Nine of the Government’s Urban Cycleways are complete one year on since the programme was launched, Transport Minister Simon Bridges says.

Through the Urban Cycleways Programme, central and local government are working together to deliver $333 million of new cycleway projects throughout the country over the next three years - the single biggest investment in cycling in New Zealand’s history.

In total 54 projects are being funded under the programme nationwide. Of these, 13 are under construction, eight are in the design phase and 24 are under investigation.

“This investment by Government has meant that many cycling projects were able to get underway much quicker than had originally been planned,” Mr Bridges says.

“A year ago I opened the Longburn Shared Pathway in Palmerston North, the first cycleway funded under the programme. Since then, nine projects have been completed in Auckland, New Plymouth and Christchurch, with many more either under construction or significantly advanced.

“The Longburn Shared Pathway, like others supported by the Urban Cycleways Programme around the country, has built on and expanded the existing cycling network.”

Mr Bridges said making urban cycling a safer and more attractive transport choice was a priority.

“Cycling is an important part of an effective integrated transport network, it creates more vibrant and connected communities, it’s good for tourism and it’s a fun, healthy way to get around. We are committed to continuing to support cycling by building on the momentum of the Urban Cycleways Programme.”

More information about the programme can be found atwww.nzta.govt.nz/UCP.
Melissa_Theuriau
"Vorb News Reader"
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Re: Urban Cycleways Programme Gaining Traction

Postby happybaboon on Mon 4/Jul/16 5:39pm

Nine of the Government’s Urban Cycleways are complete one year on since the programme was launched, Transport Minister Simon Bridges says.

Er... Really?
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 16 years 3 months

Postby laworder on Tue 5/Jul/16 2:57am

They're getting on with the East Auckland cycleway already, not before time. I see the work going on when I take the train between Glen Innes and town, mainly the GI to St Johns section. Its going to be awesome when it gets done, safer and nicer than my current route
laworder
Member for: 7 years 3 months

Postby jimmi71 on Tue 5/Jul/16 4:56pm

laworder wrote:They're getting on with the East Auckland cycleway already, not before time. I see the work going on when I take the train between Glen Innes and town, mainly the GI to St Johns section. Its going to be awesome when it gets done, safer and nicer than my current route

Whoah! I just checked out that East Auckland Cycleway on the googleweb:
https://www.nzta.govt.nz/walking-cyclin ... programme/

This means you will be able to cruise from the city NW fringe (Lincoln Rd, Hendo) to the SE (Panmure) on great cycleways the whole way....awesome!
jimmi71
Member for: 3 years 1 month

Postby laworder on Wed 6/Jul/16 4:28am

jimmi71 wrote:
laworder wrote:They're getting on with the East Auckland cycleway already, not before time. I see the work going on when I take the train between Glen Innes and town, mainly the GI to St Johns section. Its going to be awesome when it gets done, safer and nicer than my current route

Whoah! I just checked out that East Auckland Cycleway on the googleweb:
https://www.nzta.govt.nz/walking-cyclin ... programme/

This means you will be able to cruise from the city NW fringe (Lincoln Rd, Hendo) to the SE (Panmure) on great cycleways the whole way....awesome!

Actually, there's an even better cycleway that goes all the way from the Panmure-Pakuranga Bridge through to Half Moon Bay (and potentially beyond to Bucklands Beach). All they need to do is put one across/ next to that bridge and up through Panmure because thats actually about the worst section of the whole journey bar the Remuera road shops
laworder
Member for: 7 years 3 months

Postby jimmi71 on Thu 5/Oct/17 7:51am

Update: The Waterview Shared path is due to open this Friday 6th October. That means you can ride on a cycleway from Lincoln road in Henderson all the way to Hugo Johnstone Drive in Onehunga. I did this yesterday (apart from the bits that were closed and having the finishing touches done) and its a nice ride. Roll on more Urban Cycleways.

https://at.govt.nz/projects-roadworks/w ... ared-path/
jimmi71
Member for: 3 years 1 month

News - Latest Posts