University Of Auckland Secure Bike Storage Petition

Postby mtb obsessed on Fri 22/May/15 11:52am

Hi all,

Students and staff at the University of Auckland are facing a large number of thefts from bike racks all around the campus. There is only one lockable bike cage, which has 34 spaces for bikes, with hundreds of students biking to uni every day needing secure bike storage. However, even this so called "secure" bike cage has been broken into twice, with bikes being stolen from the cage.

I'm from the University of Auckland Cycling Club, and we're asking the University to sort out their cycling infrastructure. We want to show them that this is a critical issue for the university, with hundreds of people in support of new bike storage facilities.

For more information on this, see the article written by Cycle Action Auckland on our situation.

I don't need to harp on to the Vorb community of the benefits of cycle commuting - you already know that - however, I would really appreciated it if you took a moment to sign our petition, which we will be presenting to the University, to show how many people are in support of our cause.

Everyone likes pictures, so here are some which show exactly how bad the thefts have got at the university, and how far the thieves are prepared to go to steal bikes.

On behalf of the University of Auckland Cycling Club, thank you for your time.
Last edited by mtb obsessed on Fri 22/May/15 2:37pm, edited 3 times in total.
mtb obsessed
Member for: 7 years 11 months

Re: University Of Auckland Secure Bike Storage Petition

Postby Kyle on Fri 22/May/15 1:10pm

I don't know about anyone else but the giant pictures are causing the text to run right off the page. (windows, firefox)
Kyle
"Rated R for pervasive extreme drug use and related bizarre behavior, strong language, and brief nudity"
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby mtb obsessed on Fri 22/May/15 1:47pm

Cheers for pointing that out - is it working better now?
mtb obsessed

Kyle
"Rated R for pervasive extreme drug use and related bizarre behavior, strong language, and brief nudity"
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Fri 22/May/15 10:37pm

That slurps. I'm pretty sure the U of Canterbury has cameras on the unsecured stands too, not just the cage.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby laworder on Sat 23/May/15 4:18am

Signed (even though I am not an the uni, I go there ocassionally).

It sounds like what is really needed is security cams and most of all some police entrapment. If it is happening that often it would not take long to get a result
laworder
Member for: 6 years 9 months

Postby mtb obsessed on Sat 23/May/15 4:24pm

Yeah, we have some areas with security cameras and some with swipe card access. Neither are very effective on their own, but they are a secure combination together.

When a bike gets stolen from a rack overseen by CCTV, the thieves can easily disguise themselves with a balaclava, making it extremely difficult to identify them.

For the swipe card accessed racks, the cards are easily available, and with thousands of people having access to the bike shed, there only needs to be one bad apple with a card for the whole thing to be unsafe. I believe the card access can be tracked, however if you say "My bike was stolen sometime between 9 and 5 today", dozens of people will have accessed the rack during that time frame, and it will be impossible to pinpoint exactly who stole the bike.

What we're proposing is a type of cage that can't be broken into with bolt cutters, so the only way the cage can be entered is with a swipe card. We would then have a combined CCTV and swipe card system, so the time of theft can be taken from the CCTV footage, and that can be matched up with the swipe card data logs to work out whose card was used at that time. I believe that this is the type of system they have at the University of Canterbury, whose cages are very secure (and whose unsecured stands are also monitored by CCTV, as Simonius said).

The police are on our side with the implementation of secure racks, but they can't have someone stationed at every rack all the time, so they are dependent on the security of the cages.
mtb obsessed

Auckland | Auckland Region | Auckland University MTB Club | Clubs | Cycle Commuting | Cycling | New Zealand | Public Notices | Regions | Stolen | Upper North Island - Latest Posts