Unauthorised Track Work ( Kaiteirteri )

Postby kaiteri on Sun 27/Dec/09 6:18pm

I know this is a thorny issue for MTB Park managers throughout the country and, at Kaiteirteri, we're very keen for this not to develop into an "us & them" situation.
The Park committee has signed a management agreement with the land managers (DOC & KRRB) that makes us responsible for ALL track activity. Failure to adhere to the conditions of the MA can lead to its suspension.
When illegal structure are built, or unsafe jumps constructed, WE become liable.
Two examples on Velocity are prime examples: the ladder at the top, made from young pines cut down; and the ramp that was made this morning at the Velocity/Revelation intersection, where someone hitting the ramp at speed would take out at head level any rider who happened to be crossing on Revelation at that point.
Furthermore, the SLOW signs on Velocity warning of the approaching intersection have been biffed (along with a couple of drink bottles found in the vegetation).

The ramp has been removed and the individual who made the ladder has been asked to dismantle it.

It's pretty frustrating to encounter this activity which shows so little regard for the terms under which we operate and for the safety of other Park users. For the young, local riders responsible for this, and other unauthorised work, the committee asks that you stop and, instead, approach us about any suggestions you may have to better cater for your needs. We'll do our best to accommodate you - but within the framework of the overall Park vision. Carry on as you are and you risk legal action and that's not somewhere we want to go...
kaiteri
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Re: Unauthorised Track Work ( Kaiteirteri )

Postby nagem on Sun 27/Dec/09 7:17pm

Little bastards. I'd slap their arses.
nagem
"Some days gnawing through the leather straps just doesn't seem worthwhile."
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby wachtourak on Sun 27/Dec/09 7:42pm

kinky.
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 17 years 11 months

Postby Colin on Sun 27/Dec/09 7:46pm

You wish
Colin
Member for: 17 years 5 months

Postby chrism on Sun 27/Dec/09 7:54pm

'Twas me!
chrism
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby kaiteri on Sun 3/Jan/10 4:39pm

Seems I may have been a little harsh on our local young guns as some kids camping at the adjacent Bethany Park may have been the ones responsible for the ramp. I knew our guys would have more brains than that ;)
kaiteri

Postby Willey_Coyote on Sun 3/Jan/10 5:46pm

Just got back from Kaiteri today and you all need to be congratulated. Well done on the quality and quantity of tracks.

btw, I spilled off the ladder in question (lack of balls at the bottom)
Willey_Coyote
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby kaiteri on Sun 3/Jan/10 8:58pm

Wouldn't balls at the bottom make it even harder :hmmm:

Thanx for the ups, Willey. Good on ya for having a crack at the ladder. We'll see if we can replace it with something a bit more er, durable...
kaiteri

Postby Downhillking14 on Mon 4/Jan/10 11:27am

You should make something for the DHz in there.apart from velocity rockface and nora.something with jumps and drops?
Downhillking14
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Cycling | Golden Bay | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Upper South Island - Latest Posts