Ultegra Di2

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Tue 21/Jun/11 11:00am

what thinkest the vorbii ??

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/shi ... first-look

"Economy electronic group could revolutionize shifting

Shimano look to have raised the bar once more, with the long-rumoured Ultegra version of their Di2 electronic road groupset due for release this winter. This second-tier group is expected to be around half the price of the flagship Dura-Ace set – which, although lauded for its performance, has been out of reach of most riders due to its prohibitive pricing. . . . .

. . . . . .While Ultegra Di2 will still carry a premium over its non-electronic variant, it could cost less than the non-electronic form of Dura-Ace when it hits shops in September. Shimano say the two electronic groups won't be compatible because they use different wiring – in the case of Ultegra, a modular system with narrower cables and connectors. . . . .

. . . . Ultegra Di2 will, however, have to live without many of the aesthetic and material bells-and-whistles of Dura-Ace Di2. Aluminium will replace most of the carbon components featured on the flagship groupset. Alloy lever blades will add a touch of weight, but beneath their gloss black finish, they still take design cues from their carbon-bladed cousins.

ultera di21.jpg
ult di 2 4.jpg
ult di 2 3.jpg
ult di 2 2.jpg
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 6 years 11 months

Re: Ultegra Di2

Postby Joel on Tue 21/Jun/11 11:23am

looks cool and i am all for advancement.. but my thoughts are that it won't make me faster on the bike. so i will wait till it is just part of a new bike purchase, rather than plot to upgrade to it.
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby XCrazy on Tue 21/Jun/11 11:25am

I'm with Joel, I have no burning desire to rush out and buy it, would much sooner get other parts. Although if it came in a TT version and I had a TT bike I would be tempted :huh:
XCrazy
"WWJD...... What Would Jens Do?"
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Tue 21/Jun/11 11:44am

indeed. It will be interesting to see what price it comes out at. I also wonder if somehow shimano have managed to make the crankset and/or brakes ultegra Di2 specific so that you have to buy the whole groupset . . . . .
I hope not . . .

Nice to see some cross specific stuff coming through.
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 6 years 11 months

Postby tony_11 on Tue 21/Jun/11 11:50am

A UK website was saying that this will be half the price of the DA Di2.. They also stated there will be minimal price difference between the Ultegra Di2 and the Mech version. Seems the Di2 Ultegra will be alloy and that is where costs are being cut. If this is the case i can see most road bikes being fitted with this at the factory as standard spec. I guess only time will tell...
tony_11
Member for: 9 years 1 month

Postby Oli on Tue 21/Jun/11 12:14pm

The brakes and chainset are identical in function to the non-electronic versions.
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby XCrazy on Tue 21/Jun/11 2:07pm

great uncle bulgaria wrote:indeed. It will be interesting to see what price it comes out at. I also wonder if somehow shimano have managed to make the crankset and/or brakes ultegra Di2 specific so that you have to buy the whole groupset . . . . .
I hope not . . .

Nice to see some cross specific stuff coming through.

You can use any cranks you please with Di2, just works best on ones with nice stiff chainrings aka Dura Ace.
XCrazy
"WWJD...... What Would Jens Do?"
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby its that guy on Tue 21/Jun/11 6:38pm

I have a burning desire you rush out and buy it. It's a shame my wallet doesn't. :angry:
its that guy
"Lurkin"
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby disoriented on Tue 21/Jun/11 7:13pm

meh no poit in buy it, the backwards people at the uci will ban it sooner or later,
disoriented
Member for: 9 years 10 months

Postby Spyder on Tue 21/Jun/11 7:59pm

disoriented wrote:meh no poit in buy it, the backwards people at the uci will ban it sooner or later,

That will have very little impact on me. I like it :thumbsup:
Spyder
"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves a ton of explanation."
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Postby davea97 on Tue 21/Jun/11 8:18pm

I think it is great news that it will be released at the Ultegra level, but I still won't be rushing to get it.

Disoriented, it might be too late for the UCI to ban it, but it is the UCI we are talking about. Although I'm not familiar with the UCI rules, I find it interesting that bikes are allowed to start races with an electricity store. It might not be powering the crank but it's still energy not generated by the cyclist.
davea97
Member for: 7 years 6 months

Postby davea97 on Tue 21/Jun/11 8:24pm

Ha, my logic is quite flawed. My bike computer has a battery and so does my heart rate monitor.
davea97
Member for: 7 years 6 months

Postby its that guy on Tue 21/Jun/11 8:52pm

davea97 wrote:Ha, my logic is quite flawed

Yes, yes it is.
its that guy
"Lurkin"
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby musket on Tue 21/Jun/11 9:21pm

Ui2 is a game changer, as far as we're concerned. Di2 has been so far ahead of the curve in terms of function and reliability that it's really the best race / ride group about, in my opinion. Ui2 brings that to the masses, and with electronics, you all of a sudden free up the whole drive train to near open source.

I expect hoods / levers to become totally modular and customisable (like orthotics), and for hydraulic brakes to rapidly become the norm now that the ergo body is essentially dead space.

We've got Ui2 on order for a couple of interesting new builds - I expect it to be fantastic.

davea97 wrote:I think it is great news that it will be released at the Ultegra level, but I still won't be rushing to get it.

Disoriented, it might be too late for the UCI to ban it, but it is the UCI we are talking about. Although I'm not familiar with the UCI rules, I find it interesting that bikes are allowed to start races with an electricity store. It might not be powering the crank but it's still energy not generated by the cyclist.

Also, the derailleurs have springs.
musket
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby musket on Tue 21/Jun/11 9:22pm

Also, it's awesome to see some CX specific additions - it's definitely the way to go for CX.
musket
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Climbing | Cycling | Cyclocross | Road Cycling - Latest Posts