Re: Uci World Cup Dh 2014

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Tue 9/Sep/14 5:51pm

Conners wrote:
Astoria Paranoia wrote:Definitely gonna watch the replay once it's out.
Need to see this awesome chainless run from Neko.

Full replay up on redbull.tv

Churr

Here's the highlight vid
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Tue 9/Sep/14 6:22pm

HAX!
Astoria Paranoia

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Tue 9/Sep/14 9:55pm

Astoria Paranoia

Postby Scotty on Wed 10/Sep/14 7:45am

How much did Mullaly's asking price go up with that chainless run? Going on results he's pretty much TWR's marquee rider now isn't he?
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Wed 10/Sep/14 6:15pm

Yeah the look on Brook's face when Neko crossed the finish line was priceless :D
:huh:
Astoria Paranoia

Postby Conners on Wed 10/Sep/14 6:39pm

Astoria Paranoia wrote:Yeah the look on Brook's face when Neko crossed the finish line was priceless :D
:huh:

Hell yeah, fairly large dose of :blink:
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby sifter on Wed 10/Sep/14 7:20pm

Scotty wrote:How much did Mullaly's asking price go up with that chainless run? Going on results he's pretty much TWR's marquee rider now isn't he?

I don't pay much attention to DH, but based on my fairly ignorant position, I'm fascinated by that run. Is it fair to infer that all the pedalling they'd usually do (you know, when they have a chain), is actually slowing them down over the duration of the event? Is the take home message that they should only really pedal in a very limited fashion (I'm sure Mullaly really wanted to at times...). Or, do they need to get a hell of a lot fitter (as a catchall for the high-octane effort they need to make)? Or, I suppose, was Mullaly so much faster than them everywhere that when he lost huge chunks of time without his chain, it cancelled his huge gains out? (This seems unlikely to me based on the tiny time spread between the top riders)
sifter
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby scatter on Wed 10/Sep/14 7:49pm

Maybe it's about keeping off the brakes and maintaining a nice momentum rather than pin it, brake, pin it brake etc
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby sifter on Wed 10/Sep/14 8:04pm

scatter wrote:Maybe it's about keeping off the brakes and maintaining a nice momentum rather than pin it, brake, pin it brake etc

yes, but anyone with a chain can choose to do this. Only the dude without the chain is forced to... Will more choose to, do you think?
sifter
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Wed 10/Sep/14 8:17pm

Astoria Paranoia

Postby Conners on Wed 10/Sep/14 8:57pm

sifter wrote:
scatter wrote:Maybe it's about keeping off the brakes and maintaining a nice momentum rather than pin it, brake, pin it brake etc

yes, but anyone with a chain can choose to do this. Only the dude without the chain is forced to... Will more choose to, do you think?

I reckon that the mental urge to 'go fast' would be very hard to overcome. Look at Blenky, putting in two or three pedal strokes in mid air over most of the bigger jumps :ib:
But this may certainly make people try.

I recall a description of Palmer vs Nico from years ago, something along the lines of "Palmer pounds his bike into submission while Nico looks like he's making love to his". So I guess some people do just naturally "flow" more than others.
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby shmoodiver on Wed 10/Sep/14 9:05pm

Word, look at Ratbois run, dude was cool as Vanilla and even sitting down in places, relaxed as.
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby thelivo on Wed 10/Sep/14 9:44pm

Gee's run was pretty spectacular as well considering he got off for a smoke half way down.
thelivo
"Jens Voigt's Suitcase of Courage will not fit in the overhead compartment."
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Cycling | Downhill Racing | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts