Re: Ubuntu & Other Alternatives To Windows?

Postby thelivo on Fri 1/Nov/13 12:39pm

danose wrote:
Malcy wrote:So we make sure we make everything as buggy as hell, so that we have something to support. Sheesh! lol

and crowdsourcing your beta testing is sooo much more fun than shipping products that actually work (hell, look at the sucess Google's had with android - you know it's bad when people's smartphone hard crashes and they don't even blink at pulling the battery to reboot)

Yeah a couple of years ago it was pretty flaky, which was why I stuck with iOS at the time. Pretty happy that I don't have to deal with that any more though given that iOS is barely keeping up these days.
thelivo
"Jens Voigt's Suitcase of Courage will not fit in the overhead compartment."
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Postby Scotty on Thu 21/May/15 7:39am

*dredge*

I've been running Ubuntu 14.04 for the last six months or so on a couple of machines at home and I really like it. :love:

So much so I'm thinking of building a bit of a grunter of a new system and running it on Ubuntu alone.

Question is, when looking at hardware is there stuff that lends itself better to Linux-based OS's than others?

Thanks. Clueless geek.
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby Kev on Thu 21/May/15 9:38am

Dell PowerEdge ? HP ProLiant ? :p

I'm running Fedora 19 on a Dell Optiplex 790 as my primary desktop at home and it works for me. Technically, I'm running Fedora 19 on top of VMWare workstation on top on Windows 7.

Unless this is a gaming machine I highly recommend going virtual. I have a pile of VMs including older versions of fedora, Ubuntu and even windows that I can fire up when called for.
Kev
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby foremannz on Thu 21/May/15 12:37pm

I support a full Microsoft Windows environment for work, have Windows 7 and 8.1 on a suite of computers at home, but when I want to run Linux I run Mint Mate - it has the Linux freedom with the Windows feel and the Debian compatibility, the best combination of what I like.
foremannz
Member for: 8 years 4 months

Postby danose on Thu 21/May/15 12:48pm

Kev wrote:Dell PowerEdge ? HP ProLiant ? :p

I'm running Fedora 19 on a Dell Optiplex 790 as my primary desktop at home and it works for me. Technically, I'm running Fedora 19 on top of VMWare workstation on top on Windows 7.

Unless this is a gaming machine I highly recommend going virtual. I have a pile of VMs including older versions of fedora, Ubuntu and even windows that I can fire up when called for.

do it properly - mac pro with linux in a vm. :cool:

That way when you come to your senses you can just delete the VMs and have a decent operating system :satan:
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Sifting | Technology - Latest Posts