Re: Ubuntu & Other Alternatives To Windows?

Postby Bigfoot on Fri 1/Nov/13 5:22am

Windows 95, quit being whiners. I mean, surely this guy does not regret any of the energy he spent on this... or his "hat"

Bigfoot
"We are the Village Green Preservation Society"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby CrustyMTB on Fri 1/Nov/13 7:00am

E Dogg Capizzle wrote:I think that post just tipped the balance for this to become the most soul-destroyingly boring thread in all of Vorb's history? :eh:

Yep, all I hear is blah, blah, features no normal person needs, blah, blah, built in obsolescnce, blah, blah stunningly tedius oneupping acronymage. Geeks, just make the fucking things work and shut up already!!!!
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby wachtourak on Fri 1/Nov/13 8:05am

ITT: OS hipsters.
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby danose on Fri 1/Nov/13 8:21am

wachtourak wrote:ITT: OS hipsters.

:D

surprised no-one's mentioned Raspberry Pi yet :paranoid:
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby Wobbler on Fri 1/Nov/13 8:51am

I know someone who spunks themselves if someone mentions raspberry pi
Wobbler
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby Rik on Fri 1/Nov/13 10:19am

Wobbler wrote:I know someone who spunks themselves if someone mentions raspberry pi

me? :paranoid:

Thinking about running vorb on one to save costs. Might be a bit slow, and might have to loose some (most) of the old photos. :lol:
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby bugle on Fri 1/Nov/13 11:11am

Everyone should read everything Neal Stephenson has written, even reamde (it was a bit poo but still educational)
bugle
"Bah, who hasn't killed the neighbour and rooted their corpse after one too many cab savs?"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby CrustyMTB on Fri 1/Nov/13 11:14am

bugle wrote:Everyone should read everything Neal Stephenson has written, even reamde (it was a bit poo but still educational)
:withstupid: The first 800 pages of reamde were vintage Stephenson, then he turned into Tom Clancy.
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby Malcy on Fri 1/Nov/13 11:22am

wachtourak wrote:ITT: OS hipsters.

:lol:
Malcy

Postby Malcy on Fri 1/Nov/13 11:26am

bugle wrote:Everyone should read everything Neal Stephenson has written, even reamde (it was a bit poo but still educational)

Have started on Anathem, but struggling to find a 'Who, what, when, why" at the moment.
Malcy

Postby Colin on Fri 1/Nov/13 11:35am

CrustyMTB wrote:
E Dogg Capizzle wrote:I think that post just tipped the balance for this to become the most soul-destroyingly boring thread in all of Vorb's history? :eh:

Yep, all I hear is blah, blah, features no normal person needs, blah, blah, built in obsolescnce, blah, blah stunningly tedius oneupping acronymage. Geeks, just make the fucking things work and shut up already!!!!

:lol:
Colin
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby danose on Fri 1/Nov/13 11:41am

Rik wrote:Thinking about running vorb on one to save costs. Might be a bit slow, and might have to loose some (most) of the old photos. :lol:

meh - running stuff on pi is old hat, to earn geek points now you need to go RETRO (just the same as bikes - 6" fullys are passe, the cool kids are rocking steel rigibs)

how about running vorb on a vax 11/760 (under VMS of course), now that would be cool :satan:
danose

Postby Malcy on Fri 1/Nov/13 11:43am

CrustyMTB wrote:

If it worked, we wouldn't have jobs.

So we make sure we make everything as buggy as hell, so that we have something to support. Sheesh! lol
Malcy

Postby danose on Fri 1/Nov/13 11:43am

Stephenson is for lightweights and wannabes, the real nerds read Greg Egan (and understand the maths) ;)
danose

Postby danose on Fri 1/Nov/13 11:46am

Malcy wrote:So we make sure we make everything as buggy as hell, so that we have something to support. Sheesh! lol

and crowdsourcing your beta testing is sooo much more fun than shipping products that actually work (hell, look at the sucess Google's had with android - you know it's bad when people's smartphone hard crashes and they don't even blink at pulling the battery to reboot)
danose

Sifting | Technology - Latest Posts