Re: Ubuntu & Other Alternatives To Windows?

Postby danose on Wed 30/Oct/13 9:50pm

Scotty wrote:errr. out the box Chromebook or some hack-and-slash jobbie?

If the former, where'd you get it from?

Acer c720 should be readily available - rrp is nz$500, ascent have them for a bit less

But whst you really want is a macbook air :satan:
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby mfw on Wed 30/Oct/13 10:30pm

I've been running Ubuntu on work and home machines for 4 years now. I try and be agnostic and not just jump on the Microsoft bashing bandwagon :D

Unfortunately I still have to allow Windows in my life, so run dual boot machines with Vista / 7 as a boot option to run the odd utility software or itunes at home.

I can't say there's much performance difference these days on my hardware (I was convinced Ubuntu was quicker in the old days).

I spend as much time as possible in Ubuntu, but it still has quite a lot of quirks:
=} Some hardware drivers still not supported (like a scanner I got recently)
=} The desktop environment - Unity vs Gnome. Once you've banished Windows from your workplace, and MS bashing gets boring, you replace it with the equally hostile Unity vs Gnome debate! Seems like 1 step forwards two steps back at times. On my workstation Unity is unreliable (works ok on home laptop though) so I have to run Gnome, and Gnome 3.6 is a bit wanky imo.
=} Upgrades every 6 months are time consuming, and you should really do a full backup before hand (though this is probably a good idea anyway)

But I still find all this more tolerable than running Microsoft, and have only seen Windows 8 from a distance but it looks like it would be offal as a developer workstation.
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 10 months

Postby properzel on Thu 31/Oct/13 8:35am

Scotty wrote:Then I had a go with 13.04, it was quick as and seems to have the support to run most (not quite all) of my day-to-day stuff.

You should have a look into the latest and greatest then, fairly sure 13.10 is out by now. I'm a bit lazy upgrading all the time and run LTS myself but I don't care about office stuff too much.
properzel
Member for: 7 years 5 months

Postby thelivo on Thu 31/Oct/13 9:18am

mfw wrote:I've been running Ubuntu on work and home machines for 4 years now. I try and be agnostic and not just jump on the Microsoft bashing bandwagon :D

Unfortunately I still have to allow Windows in my life, so run dual boot machines with Vista / 7 as a boot option to run the odd utility software or itunes at home.

I can't say there's much performance difference these days on my hardware (I was convinced Ubuntu was quicker in the old days).

I spend as much time as possible in Ubuntu, but it still has quite a lot of quirks:
=} Some hardware drivers still not supported (like a scanner I got recently)
=} The desktop environment - Unity vs Gnome. Once you've banished Windows from your workplace, and MS bashing gets boring, you replace it with the equally hostile Unity vs Gnome debate! Seems like 1 step forwards two steps back at times. On my workstation Unity is unreliable (works ok on home laptop though) so I have to run Gnome, and Gnome 3.6 is a bit wanky imo.
=} Upgrades every 6 months are time consuming, and you should really do a full backup before hand (though this is probably a good idea anyway)

But I still find all this more tolerable than running Microsoft, and have only seen Windows 8 from a distance but it looks like it would be offal as a developer workstation.

I have to say after helping a couple of friends get set up on Win 8, that its not as bad as I thought ONCE you know how to get around properly. There are a few nice features. The problem is, its totally unintuitive and there is no consistency anywhere in the interface.
Linux - generally its a meh for me for exactly the reasons you have said, plus I see it as an old school mindset on an operating system. Its never going to hit the main stream because you generally need some tech savvy to make things work, and as I spend 100% of my time in the browser, i just can't be bothered screwing around with an OS that does a whole plethora of things I just dont need.
I'm on a macbook air at the moment because I bought it when I needed some client apps, and its a really nice piece of hardware, but now it is just a really expensive way of running chrome.
thelivo
"Jens Voigt's Suitcase of Courage will not fit in the overhead compartment."
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby danose on Thu 31/Oct/13 9:28am

thelivo wrote:Linux - generally its a meh for me for exactly the reasons you have said, plus I see it as an old school mindset on an operating system. Its never going to hit the main stream because you generally need some tech savvy to make things work, and as I spend 100% of my time in the browser, i just can't be bothered screwing around with an OS that does a whole plethora of things I just dont need.

yep, with the demise of decent commercial Unix's (like solarisX86 and Digital Unix) we're now stuck with glorified hobbiest hackfests :( Even RHEL (which we use at work) isn't so hot

thankfully there is ONE commercial quality Unix distro left which is stable, supported and has decent app support - which is why all our modelling workstations are macpros ;) :D
danose

Postby Conners on Thu 31/Oct/13 11:06am

Man, I read all of the above and realise that the few things that annoy me in Windows really aren't worth the hassle of trying something else :blink:
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby Wobbler on Thu 31/Oct/13 11:10am

Conners wrote:Man, I read all of the above and realise that the few things that annoy me in Windows really aren't worth the hassle of trying something else :blink:

yeah but microsoft suck maing, stick it to the system che guevara t shirts etc
Wobbler
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby danose on Thu 31/Oct/13 11:20am

Wobbler wrote:yeah but microsoft suck maing, stick it to the system che guevara t shirts etc

people talking about 'sticking it to the big corporates' whilst seriously talking about going to chromeOS - now that's just plain ironic :D
danose

Postby Simonius_Titius on Thu 31/Oct/13 2:34pm

Conners wrote:Man, I read all of the above and realise that the few things that annoy me in Windows really aren't worth the hassle of trying something else :blink:

Hassle? You don't get it.
Imagine the joy of dropping a few Elbonian jokes into a conversation
because you are now quite fluent in it
since you have had so much to do with those neat guys in Elbonia
who wrote the forked kernel for Hairy Frog Linux
which is needed because it works so brilliantly with your shiny new storage array controller.

Actually the other Linuxes simply don't yet work reliably with it, though you hope they will soon because Hairy Frog doesn't do such a good job of pretending to be Windows as you would like. And not as well as management would like.

TBH the deficiencies have to be covered up, they can not be mentioned to management because you accidentally allowed most of the management team to assume the company servers have been running on Windows and Solaris.

Actually your boss did most of that dirty work, but you told him it will be fine so he will deny everything and shunt the blame onto you. He didn't exactly approve using a forked kernel, or even Hairy Frog for that matter. It was supposed to be Red Hat until the storage driver forced your hand.

But great risk brings great rewards, and it's all going to work! It will be a beautiful day tomorrow, there is still an hour left before sunrise, and you feel great in a way that Windows drones can't even imagine.

True story. Some details are representative.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 7 years 11 months

Postby chmod777 on Thu 31/Oct/13 3:41pm

Simonius_Titius wrote:

Hassle? You don't get it.
Imagine the joy of dropping a few Elbonian jokes into a conversation
because you are now quite fluent in it
since you have had so much to do with those neat guys in Elbonia
who wrote the forked kernel for Hairy Frog Linux
which is needed because it works so brilliantly with your shiny new storage array controller.

Actually the other Linuxes simply don't yet work reliably with it, though you hope they will soon because Hairy Frog doesn't do such a good job of pretending to be Windows as you would like. And not as well as management would like.

TBH the deficiencies have to be covered up, they can not be mentioned to management because you accidentally allowed most of the management team to assume the company servers have been running on Windows and Solaris.

Actually your boss did most of that dirty work, but you told him it will be fine so he will deny everything and shunt the blame onto you. He didn't exactly approve using a forked kernel, or even Hairy Frog for that matter. It was supposed to be Red Hat until the storage driver forced your hand.

But great risk brings great rewards, and it's all going to work! It will be a beautiful day tomorrow, there is still an hour left before sunrise, and you feel great in a way that Windows drones can't even imagine.

True story. Some details are representative.

:D
chmod777
Member for: 4 years 11 months

Postby bugle on Thu 31/Oct/13 4:28pm

danose wrote:
Wobbler wrote:yeah but microsoft suck maing, stick it to the system che guevara t shirts etc

people talking about 'sticking it to the big corporates' whilst seriously talking about going to chromeOS - now that's just plain ironic :D

Gold

HTFU and write your own LINUX distro ;)
bugle
"Bah, who hasn't killed the neighbour and rooted their corpse after one too many cab savs?"
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby danose on Thu 31/Oct/13 4:58pm

bugle wrote:HTFU and write your own LINUX distro ;)

I contributed to pre 1.0 linux kernels, so I'm kind of over all that crap
danose

Postby rmcbrmcb on Thu 31/Oct/13 6:12pm

lxle works for me
rmcbrmcb
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby Malcy on Thu 31/Oct/13 10:04pm

Win 8 for me on 3 devices, Windows Phone 8 on a Samsung Ativ S, Windows 7 on my clunker desktop, and Windows XP on a REAL clunker of a laptop. Yup, I am a MS "drone" as people call it, but it's kept food on my table for over 20 years, so I think I'll stick with it. And the wide range of things I play with in MS and non-MS land are bloody good fun! One day I might even get a "real" job.

Anyway, in a fit of madness recently, I built both a Fedora, and an Ubuntu virtual machine in Hyper-V.

Combined with Open Office it seems that either of those releases would be pretty much ok for day to day use. I can't speak too much on the rest of the things like running games etc, cos that's what my X-Box (used only for playing backed up TV shows) and my Wii (which is used to collect dust). Games? that's like Cut the Rope, right?

I was actually pretty sad a while back as a sales guy I know in Palmy managed to talk a nationwide plumbing firm OUT of using Open Office as he convinced the firm that they'd have no compatibility with anything but Open Office. It was a shitty lie, but obviously convincing and the sales guy got to load his pockets full of crisp shiny commission. I am pro Open Office though. There isn't a thing that a day to day user needs to do with Word, they can't do in Open Office. Some very advanced and limited use tools are missing but seriously who cares? There are always work arounds.

For me, it's Windows all the way though, in other various guises too. Server 2012R2 and Windows 8.1 are showing amazing tools for business. Hyper-V and Storage are two amazing advances for this version.

Someone mentioned Office 365 and for a small/medium business, HELL YEAH! It's scalable to Enterprise, but I am pretty keen to step back from that for a while.

Another alternate is to buy/hire/rent Azure space. That's a good value option as well for small to mediums.

Each of Office 365 and Azure can be trialled online too. For free for 30 days, and (fuck I sound like an infomercial) with no obligation. And for you anti-Microsoft OS types..... Azure supports a large number of Linux releases. Mint as.

HDC I think mentioned a Server 2003 box? We just retired our last one. It was bought in 2004, warranty expired 2007, and it was retired in August this year. 1GB RAM, P4 something, running Server 2003 with ISA 2006 as our gateway firewall. That was a fun machine to retire, and I am just working out how to re-appropriate it. I am toying with a Linux build and using it for a Backup server.

Meh, too much typing.

ps, running Linux will also probably lead you to reading Neal Stephenson a lot. Current book for me is "In the beginning...Was the command prompt", having nailed Snow Crash and Cryptonomicon.
Malcy
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Fri 1/Nov/13 5:10am

I think that post just tipped the balance for this to become the most soul-destroyingly boring thread in all of Vorb's history? :eh:
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Sifting | Technology - Latest Posts